Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:46   #16
BHPian

Re: Thanks-giving Criteria : What are yours?

I think we should have a 'like' button in addition to the 'thanks' button. While the 'thanks' button is very useful in acknowledging the time and trouble taken by the member to respond,initiate, post (and all that has been written in the earlier posts); the like button conveys a quality/value rating, so to speak.
I do not know if we are mature enough to have a 'dislike' button too?

BTW, Thanks for starting this thread.
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:15   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
I think we should have a 'like' button in addition to the 'thanks' button.
Two reasons we don't:

1. Avoid overlap between 'like' & 'thank'.

2. Reduce clutter.

Quote:
We are the most mature Indian forum I know of. But would rather not have that sort of negativity on Team-BHP. If you don't like a post, don't thank it.

Let's not derail the thread anymore. Please share only your 'thanksgiving criteria' here. Thanks .
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:40   #18
BHPian

I am a very miserly "thank-er" and thank only for the following cases:

- Posts something useful or informative or exciting.

- Posts something I learn from.

But I give 'thanks' where it needs to be given!
Old 23rd March 2017, 11:52   #19
BHPian

In addition to the criteria mentioned by other users, I use "Thanks" to bump-up attention to a post that I believe will help other forum members.
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

I almost always thank when an enlightening post has been made. I favor people who think out of the box.

Most of the times discussions and debates are on focused topics directly related to the matter at hand. Whenever someone posts something out of the ordinary to throw light on something that brings in a completely different perspective on the discussion, I believe, the person deserves a thanks!
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the reasons already mentioned in the opening posts, I thank somebody, when they have already posted something that is on my mind. I read a post, I think of a reply and keep scrolling down, and when I see somebody has posted what I was planning to, I thank them.

And yes, I miss that a lot in the Shifting gears thread, where I have learnt many things useful for life, apart from automotive topics.
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:55   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice thread, and a lot of nice points provided in the preceding comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You must miss the button in our shifting gears forum eh?
Badly.

As I mentioned in the anniversary thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
To me, TBHP is a go-to site not just for vehicles, but other information as well in the Shifting Gears forum, particularly information of an India-centric nature. The fact that the same quality of posts and information is in Shifting Gears as is in the vehicular forums makes it easier to get the information (and trust it).
Shifting Gears isn't just the fun stuff, there's a number of useful threads on just living in this wonderful mishmash of a country. Aadhaar, PF, school admissions, electronics - name it, and there's probably a thread for it and there's definitely a lot of 'thank-worthy' information there. I understand why the thanks button isn't available in that forum, but it doesn't stop me from missing it.

Even in this thread, when I read some of the very nice rationale provided, my eye kept flicking to the bottom-right to find the thanks button!
Old 23rd March 2017, 13:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Posts that meet the criteria of Real Value Addition rather than written in good english but with zero value...

Really witty one-liners (like i20 on Punto Abarth thread)...

Relevant reply to my post quoted and not just only reply...

Rarely some posts who already get huge no. of thanks...

They all get my Thanks.

P. S. : I've observed that its an unwritten rule to thank GTO (one of my fav mods) on almost all his posts. Even for shifting the thread. My interpretation is that we all wish to reciprocate our feelings to GTO for his time and effort dedicated in creating and maintaining T-BHP with such high standards.
Old 23rd March 2017, 13:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Just this morning, I was pondering on why some people find it difficult to say thanks and sorry even when absolutely necessary, and here comes this thread!

My yardstick:
  • In a thread that I have started, I thank every respondent - for reading and responding. Even if the comments are contradictory to my own stated opinion, I invariably use the thanks button. It is a basic courtesy that all of us must imbibe and implement.
  • In every other thread, I thank all posts that are generally useful - useful not just to me personally, but in a universal way.

In addition to posts whose utility (material, emotional, philosophical or satirical) is suspect, I also don't thank posts which are:
  • Frivolous
  • Presumptuous
  • Vitriolic in a personal way
  • Not related to the topic under discussion

I believe that the manner in which we use the thanks button on the forum reveals a lot about our own personality.

PS: The posts which I desperately want to thank but can't are the ones in the Shifting Gears section.
Old 23rd March 2017, 13:59   #25
Team-BHP Support

I think I am very generous in saying thank you – in the forum or in person

My Thanks-giving parameters:
  • Reviews – official or ownership
  • Nice Travelogues
  • Informational threads or posts
  • A well-written intro
  • And good replies on the thread I started
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:27   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
I think we should have a 'like' button in addition to the 'thanks' button. While the 'thanks' button is very useful in acknowledging the time and trouble taken by the member to respond,initiate, post (and all that has been written in the earlier posts); the like button conveys a quality/value rating, so to speak.

BTW, Thanks for starting this thread.
I was going to say exactly this. I think most people "Thank" since there is no other way of acknowledging helpful / useful / interesting or similar posts. A like and a dislike buttons would help as well. Oh yes, I am sure we are mature enough to express our dislike, why not?
Old 23rd March 2017, 14:38   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

My Thanks giving criteria :

1. Informative posts : mostly technical posts and next official / ownership reviews

2. Well documented modifications thread

3. Witty lines..

I really don't know whom I have thanked the most. GTO has received highest number of thanks and also he tops on the thanks giver list
Old 23rd March 2017, 16:59   #28
BHPian

My Thanks are reserved for

1) Sensible content being posted
2) Posts that are appreciative as well as critical and especially those that do not reek of fan-boyism. (fan-girlism as well, lest you call me sexist)
3) Honest feedback on any query without trying to skirt the main content being discussed.
4) Funny and nostalgic posts

Some of my thanks are also due to:
1) Clicking on the Thanks button by mistake instead of the Quote button located just beside it
2) Out of Sarcasm, as in 'Thanks, but keep your views to yourself'
3) When I am in a good mood and just want to thank someone for the post.

Hope I am not diluting the purpose of the 'Thanks' button. Apologies Mods.
Old 23rd March 2017, 19:33   #29
Senior - BHPian

I thank posts that either completely mirror what I was already thinking of, or teach me something I didn't know of and that I liked learning about. That's about it. At the end of the day I feel the thanks button and the mention of how many times some member has been thanked under his/her picture in every post they make, is just another number on a spec sheet of their profile that I do not honestly care about. I am here for the rich content and nothing else not interested in how often someone has been thanked, which the favorite personalities are etc. I know it is probably a very cold and clinical way of looking at things but I feel that the forum is getting too cluttered with emotions and people wishing to be thanked instead of focusing on the quality of content a bit like those AA meetings I watch in the movies. If I could suggest a change, I would suggest allowing folks to use more (perhaps 4) emojis to express themselves better instead of limiting people to the thanks button. I feel that limiting folks to using the thanks button, allows them to misconstrue a 'thanks' to mean far more than it should. Anyway this is just my personal opinion and I am more than glad to have it heard out even if no-one agrees but please excuse me if I do not seem to thank people enough.

That said, thanks Smartcat for starting this discussion

Last edited by IshaanIan : 23rd March 2017 at 19:41.
Old 23rd March 2017, 20:38   #30
BANNED

My criteria is quite straight forward:
1) Something new
2) Something humorous
3) A brilliant piece of writing
4) A brilliant initiative

Hence, right now I am annoyed because I want to thank @smartcat for this thread, but I am unable to. You listening mods?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks