Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2006, 18:02   #1
BHPian

Mumbai Customs and excise Department

Hello need some help. Ordered some auto related stuff from Japan. It was posted By EMS japan and Speed post India are supposed to deliver it at hyderabad. The tracking says package arrived to mumbai on 17 oct. But till now I didnt get any information regarding the package from customs or Speed post . How long will it usually take for customs to clear?? Please help
Old 30th October 2006, 18:05   #2
BANNED

You should have got it by now. I think the dept has a website where you can track the pacakge(not sure) or call them up number is there(100%).

Let me find the link and post it for you.

Viper
Old 30th October 2006, 18:39   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the info. What s the ususal procedure, situations like these. i mean where to pay the customs and how to take delivery?
Old 30th October 2006, 20:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 31st October 2006 at 10:05.
Old 30th October 2006, 22:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan
if its stuck in customs then u might probably have to come to mumbai to take delivery.....and normally we pay customs under the table.....but if uve got a friend here then ask him to do a little running around...hmmmm..stuff from japan...curious to know whts inside...
@ danalalan,

You should have to go through Team-Bhp rules again..
Sms Language is not allowed..

@ west,

Let us know What is inside that parcel if you dont mind.
Old 31st October 2006, 09:01   #6
BHPian

Can any one give me the link for tracking a package in customs? Dalan , Mugen nothing so exciting some electronic switches
Old 31st October 2006, 09:08   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by west
Thanks for the info. What s the ususal procedure, situations like these. i mean where to pay the customs and how to take delivery?

Hi,

If the destination address is Hyderabad it will be delivered there only. All duties, octroi etc to be paid to the delivery person in cash only or alternately you go to their office to collect with cash/dd.

Viper
Old 31st October 2006, 10:08   #8
BHPian

the post office has a customs division where all imported packages are detained and checked.

if the package is dutiable - they will detain it there and send u a telegram giving u the reference number of the package (this will be different from the one given by EMS of Japan) and the location for paying the customs duty (usually at the post office).

once paid - they will deliver.

this is how its happened for me.
Old 31st October 2006, 10:25   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the information buddies, it is a lot of help. So I presume the postal department customs will be in bombay rather than in hyderabad or it will be in hyderabad itself? May be I will ask the speed post guys about this.
Old 31st October 2006, 10:51   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I guess there is inconsistent delay on some packages. My wife ordered a handbag from Ebay which reached the Mumbai customs but took 45 days to get from there to my office. No duty payable though
Old 31st October 2006, 16:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG
the post office has a customs division where all imported packages are detained and checked.

if the package is dutiable - they will detain it there and send u a telegram giving u the reference number of the package (this will be different from the one given by EMS of Japan) and the location for paying the customs duty (usually at the post office).

once paid - they will deliver.

this is how its happened for me.
The postal customs is at the place of delivery or the nearest place from the town of delivery. I also had a similar problem, what happens is that the shipper quotes alower invoice value for the goods, the postal customs will not have a clue on the actual price so if you talk to the SP at postal customs, he will ask you to get it evaluated by a local person and give the estimate, based on the invoice vaue you will have to pay duty of 40% I think, this will be paid to the postal guy who delivers it at the address mentioned.
Old 31st October 2006, 16:40   #12
BHPian

Thanks for the input guys! Talked to speed post Guys, said It will should be cleard in bombay itself and will be dispatched to hyderabad. But I didnt get any letter or telegram from Bombay Customs?? And to the worse these people cant trace because servers are not working.
Old 1st November 2006, 14:00   #13
BHPian

Can any one give me mumbai postal appraiser number please
Old 1st November 2006, 21:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Hey
Didnt want to start a seperate thread for this but does anyone know how much stuff you can bring down without having to pay any duty. I want to bring down a 5.1 speaker system nd while I can put all the speakers into my bag the woofer will have to be carried seperately. Also incase I do have to pay duty how much is it?
Cheers
Adhish
Old 1st November 2006, 22:53   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak
Hey
Didnt want to start a seperate thread for this but does anyone know how much stuff you can bring down without having to pay any duty. I want to bring down a 5.1 speaker system nd while I can put all the speakers into my bag the woofer will have to be carried seperately. Also incase I do have to pay duty how much is it?
Cheers
Adhish
I guess its 25K INR so if you are bringing in stuff from Toronto, thats abt 600CAD. Don't think you can get any high end system in that but yes regular sony/Yamaha/pioneer stuff will fit right in!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks