Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 16:32   #181
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Almost everyone i asked and even here on this thread, people agree that great punjab at KP and Sigree ( I don't know where) are the best for Punjabi food.

2. Sigree : By far the worst lunch buffet i ever had, though the starters were good and somewhat authentic, Everything else was utter crap and totally non-authentic.
Totally agree with you. Food at Sigree is TOTAL CRAP. It might be better to have crap than going to this restaurant. Please AVOID.

The last time we went there, we found *things floating* in almost every course. Worst of all, they served Lamb soup to Vegetarians...

Sigree =
Old 9th May 2011, 12:11   #182
Senior - BHPian

City Pride Food joint Kothrud
Good quality food and reasonably priced. Service is ok. Offers multiple cuisines and has an open kitchen for those who are keen in hygiene. The sandwiches were decent while dosas and Chinese food were excellent. I would recommend this over any other Udupi/ similar restaurant in the near vicinity.

Shiv Kailash: Popular joint for lassi/ milk products opposite Pune station main gate
Famous for its lassi, but their stuff is now over sweet to the extent of being totally saccharine. The sugar in one glass would probably suffice for 5 glasses.
Please avoid unless you like oversweet stuff

Banjara Hills restaurant, Chandni Chowk
Pathetic service and low quality food. Please avoid

Khyber, JM Road
Good quality food, though some of the recommendations of the captain were not so great. Prices ranged from ok to a bit steep (for me!). Parking is easily available after the conversion to uni directional traffic.

Can anyone recommend a good place for Chole Bhature? Also there has been very little response to the query about authentic Punjabi food in Pune - is there no recommended place?!
Old 9th May 2011, 12:20   #183
BANNED

Le Royale Residency, Hinjewadi, Pune, Rooftop restaurant.

Buffet : 300/- per person

Menu includes:

1. one veg soup and one non veg soup
2. welcome drink
3. 2 veg starters and 2 non veg starters
4. 4 veg salads and 1 non veg starter plus one raita
5. Live chat counter
6. 4 veg main course and 3 non veg main course dishes
7. dal, rice and roti/naan
8. 4 desserts

Its absolute VFM as far as i am concerned, Decor is also good and staff is very polite. It is probably the most VFM buffet that i have ever had. Food is also overall pretty nice (considering the abundant choices)

Must Visit. Contact no. 020-40262626

Special Note : Do not try anything that has yoghurt in it, for eg: Raita ( it is usually pretty sour).
If you have the weekend brunch then you also get a pint of beer or a glass of wine complimentary along with the food.

Most of the food is North Indian with a few continental dishes added.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 9th May 2011 at 12:23.
Old 9th May 2011, 12:35   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Can anyone recommend a good place for Chole Bhature?

Also there has been very little response to the query about authentic Punjabi food in Pune - is there no recommended place?!
Mona Food on M G Road is most famous for its Chole Bhature. When you enter the restaurant, 8 out of the 10 tables will be having Chole Bhature. Also try the lassi at this place. Please remember that this place always has a waiting list and you might have to wait for around 15-20 mins to get a place.

Well...dont know about the authenticity of the Punjabi Food, but my personal all time favourite pure veg restaurant is Shivsagar in Aundh. I think I have had the best Punjabi Food here. Shivsagar has a HUGE menu and you are completely spoilt for choices here. The restaurant also serves a plethora of Mexican, Italian and other cuisine dishes here and they are also fantastic. Please do try the Mexican Nachos when you go to Shivsagar next time. Yummy!!! Shivsagar also has huge waiting lists if you land there at peak times.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:25   #185
MCR
BHPian

I am a frequent visitor to Pune. In-fact I am there tomorrow too.
A few places I visit regularly are :
1. Amantran veg restaurant in Dapodi. Its exactly opposite to Sandvik on Mumbai Pune road. The food here is very good as well as the ambience and service.
2. Hotel Vaishali for breakfast. Its located on Fergusson College road. The food here is simply excellent. 95 bucks only for Idly + Masala Dosa + a huge Coffee. Amazing.
Old 9th May 2011, 13:58   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Mona Food on M G Road is most famous for its Chole Bhature.

my personal all time favourite pure veg restaurant is Shivsagar in Aundh. Shivsagar has a HUGE menu and you are completely spoilt for choices here. The restaurant also serves a plethora of Mexican, Italian and other cuisine dishes here and they are also fantastic. Please do try the Mexican Nachos when you go to Shivsagar next time. Yummy!!!
Yeah, I was thinking of Mona food when i posted that question. I have some really old memories of that place. Apparently, they were the guys who introduced Chole Bhature to Pune. Either that or someone must have been trying to get me to eat there!
Shivsagar sounds a bit like the Shantisagar of Bangalore. Even they had yummy Mexican food. I will give it a try on a weekday. Is it linked to the one on JM Road? I dont remember if they had/ have Mexican food in the JM Road one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Hotel Vaishali for breakfast. Its located on Fergusson College road. The food here is simply excellent. 95 bucks only for Idly + Masala Dosa + a huge Coffee. Amazing.
At the risk of being lynched by the faithful regulars there (some of my friends get mad at me for my comments as if they built the place!), I am not such a fan of the dosas at Vaishali; I have had better dosas elsewhere. Perhaps its more the ambience or nostalgia of the place. They do a good SPDP though..

Last edited by selfdrive : 9th May 2011 at 14:01.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:40   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
95 bucks only for Idly + Masala Dosa + a huge Coffee. Amazing.
I find Rs. 95 to be expensive for all of this. South Indian food would be best available in a South Indian joint, IMHO.

I don't know if there was mention of Shreyas Restaurant (near Apte road) in this thread. Amazing thali (though a bit pricey).

Last edited by S_U_N : 10th May 2011 at 09:41.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:46   #188
Senior - BHPian

@Mustang: The next time try the buffet at Courtyard Marriott or even Fortune Hotel (next to Courtyard). Price - approx Rs 350 per head. WAY better than La Royale.
Old 10th May 2011, 10:46   #189
Senior - BHPian

I agree the food at Shreyas is fabulous, but somehow I dont end up doing "justice" to their servings. In other words, I end up feeling havent taken the value for the cost I pay

If we are talking about thalis, there are two places to get mindblowing food albeit the simple kind.
Atithi: its just off JM Road in one of the lanes. Simple food and you get options of having limited/ unlimited thalis. Service is decent and food is simple but excellent.

Saatvik Thali (off Tilak Road, in the Renuka Swaroop lane): By far this is the best food I have ever eaten anywhere, in terms of "bhar pet" satisfaction. It is an unlimited thali for Rs 60, but the range is limited to chapatis + 2 sabzis + dal + rice + buttermilk. They dont offer takeaway or any other items, but the quality of food totally rocks. Perhaps I am swayed by the softness of the hot chapatis they serve. I guess this is more Maharashtrian type of food. The last time I ate there in late April they had amazing 'phansaachi bhaji' (jackfruit sabzi). If someone likes simple food, this is the one place I would definitely recommend
Old 10th May 2011, 12:11   #190
BHPian

For Maharashtrian food, I would suggest 'Manohar'. This is a small food joint in the premises of Manohar marriage hall, Erandwane, near Mhatre bridge. The food quality is excellent and the place is overall clean.
For bakery products, I would suggest the Poona bakery pattice ( veg. puff ). The bakery has many outlets in the city.
Old 10th May 2011, 12:53   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
@Mustang: The next time try the buffet at Courtyard Marriott or even Fortune Hotel (next to Courtyard). Price - approx Rs 350 per head. WAY better than La Royale.
I'll try it this time only, I am pune for 2 more days. So is the cost for courtyard marriot and fortune is the same? 350 per head?
Old 10th May 2011, 13:16   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
For Maharashtrian food, I would suggest 'Manohar'. This is a small food joint in the premises of Manohar marriage hall, Erandwane, near Mhatre bridge. The food quality is excellent and the place is overall clean.
I saw this one on my way to work the other day; now that I have a recommendation, will definitely visit!
Another good place for wada pav and thaalipeeth is the canteen at Balgandharva Rangmandir (JM road). Amazing piece they made and I dont even like thaalipeeth much!

A place for good wada sambar is the Anna ki tapri at the Connaught place signal (going right from Cusrow Wadia college towards Tata Institute/ Atur Park/ Blue Diamond)

Are there any recommendations for good old wada pav? Please dont say Joshi wadewale!
Old 10th May 2011, 13:58   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'll try it this time only, I am pune for 2 more days. So is the cost for courtyard marriot and fortune is the same? 350 per head?

Just about. If I am not wrong, Fortune is a bit cheaper (read Rs 50 or so).
Do try it. Courtyard has a decent spread. To be honest, I personally havent tried the one at Fortune, but have heard a lot of good reviews on it.

OT: Since you are in Pune for a couple of days, and are in the vicinity of Hinjewadi, how about a quick mini meet at one of the Chai Tapris (Thelas)? Do let me know.
Old 10th May 2011, 14:08   #194
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Just about. If I am not wrong, Fortune is a bit cheaper (read Rs 50 or so).
Do try it. Courtyard has a decent spread. To be honest, I personally havent tried the one at Fortune, but have heard a lot of good reviews on it.

OT: Since you are in Pune for a couple of days, and are in the vicinity of Hinjewadi, how about a quick mini meet at one of the Chai Tapris (Thelas)? Do let me know.
I just called up Courtyard by Marriot, The lunch buffet rate is 590/- PP.

I will be going to Lonavla tomorrow, so I will still have a day after that, If possible then we guys could meet up.
Old 10th May 2011, 14:12   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just called up Courtyard by Marriot, The lunch buffet rate is 590/- PP.

I will be going to Lonavla tomorrow, so I will still have a day after that, If possible then we guys could meet up.

Is it? They must have changed the rates. The last time we were there it was Rs 350~ PP. Sorry my bad.
Also, if it is 590 PP, then it is sure not worth it. I would rather go to Mariott at Senapati Bapat Rd and have their buffet @ 750 PP. But worth every single rupee!

And yes, once you are back the day after, do send me a PM. We can work out on meeting at a Tapri.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 10th May 2011 at 14:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks