Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 11:17   #211
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
8) Prem's: for conti breakfast
A friend of mine used to stay in KP sometimes back and was a frequent visitor of Prem's, heard him quoting that its been closed (or the original guy sold-it-off) for quite some time. Haven't got any updates later on, not sure if it started again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Baba Ramdev Dhaba (just a name, no relation to the original guy)

Present at two locations at Pune, Nigdi (Transport nagar) & Kasarwadi (Vallabh Bus Stand).

Good place for yummy, simple rajasthani food - especially their Dal - Bhati - very VFM!
I'm visiting that place, used to be an excellent place as an authentic dhaba (read with low hygienic conditions). Most customers were truck-drivers as its been located within Transport Nagar. But now they have improved and thus losing the original food taste! On weekends most public is from Talawade IT Park and mostly crowded, now they even serve Punjabi dishes..!

FYI, the name Ramdev Baba is the name of the Rajput God (or sort of saint) from Rajasthan. People often get the impression of Yoga guru by the similarity of names, but its not so. OT, but thought to clarify it, here are few lines from Wiki.

Quote:
Baba Ramdevji ( V.S. 1409 - 1442 ) ( 1352 - 1385 AD) is a folk–deity of Rajasthan in India. He was a saint of the fourteenth century who devoted his life for the upliftment of downtrodden and poor people of the society, which were marginalized by Invaders. A temple was built around Ramdevji's final resting place by Maharaja Ganga Singh of Bikaner in 1931 AD. Ramdevji was a Tanwar Rajput however there is question mark on this identity, raised by many followers. While Hindus regard him as an incarnation of Lord Krishna, Muslims venerate him as Ramshah Pir or Ramapir or Hindwapir. He is said to have had miraculous powers, and his fame reached far and wide and was confirmed by Peers of Mecca.
iSpoke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 11:20   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSpoke View Post
A friend of mine used to stay in KP sometimes back and was a frequent visitor of Prem's, heard him quoting that its been closed (or the original guy sold-it-off) for quite some time. Haven't got any updates later on, not sure if it started again..
Absolutely not, Prem's is very much open for business & I must say that their ambience is even better than before. The food has always been good there.
Old 30th September 2011, 11:48   #213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
Absolutely not, Prem's is very much open for business & I must say that their ambience is even better than before. The food has always been good there.
yes, you are correct.
I just had a talk with that friend and confirmed that it was run by Mr. Arun and since last couple of years been sold to another punjabi guy. The restaurant name was on the name of his late farther.
Old 30th November 2011, 02:39   #214
BHPian

for the lovers of Missal, stumbled upon this list somewhere

though my fav in Pune is "Shri Kala" in the lane opp KEM Hospital in Rasta Peth
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Pune-misal.jpg  

Old 5th December 2011, 15:42   #215
BHPian

Guys,
Need a few bright ideas for Sunday breakfast venues in Pune..
Old 5th December 2011, 17:52   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Guys,
Need a few bright ideas for Sunday breakfast venues in Pune..
Kata kirr misal or Bipin snacks tapri opposite Garware college, Karve road
People can eat what they want. Adequate parking space on Sunday mornings.
Another alternative (selfish for me) is Sahajanand/ Mahatma Society chowk. We can eat at Potoba (and use that wide road to redline a few of our rides a bit?)
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 16:55   #217
Senior - BHPian

I had been to the Flags restaurant recently with my new team. I must say that the food was great!

I had ordered various food items from Brazil, Ethiopia, Mexican and Peru cuisine and all were damn good. Its impossible for me to remember the names, but all were very good. Everyone had a good time at the restaurant. Service was very good and fast. However, the deserts came in like 20-25 minutes which was the only miss by the staff.

Overall, highly recommended to all those who like experimenting with food.

Beware: The place is expensive. You can't visit Flags every now and then, however atleast once is must.
Old 20th December 2011, 17:15   #218
Senior - BHPian

^Thanks Ajay. Where is the place? What is the average price per person?
Old 20th December 2011, 17:30   #219
Senior - BHPian

Flags shares its compound walls with INOX mutliplex. When you turn into that small lane leading to Inox, when you reach Inox entrance, turn right into a gate which leads to Flags.

Average price per person for a full course meal including Soup, Starter, Main course and Desert would be around ~700-900 INR. But, if you are a foodie and love to try out different things, then Flags is the place.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 19:53   #220
BHPian

Had a good trip to Pune last weekend, two place were absolutely brilliant and on my list for all future pune visits
1.) Shreyas for the Maharastrian Thali,
2.) Malaca Spice. I have never had such good Tom Yum soup. Cant wait to get back for more.
Old 20th December 2011, 21:12   #221
BHPian

Hunting for a good Italian (sans pizza) food - try LingerOn @Baner Road. Good menu, super service, awesome food and chillaxing ambience. Must visit with families...
Old 21st December 2011, 00:45   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I had been to the Flags restaurant recently with my new team. I must say that the food was great!

I had ordered various food items from Brazil, Ethiopia, Mexican and Peru cuisine and all were damn good. Its impossible for me to remember the names, but all were very good. Everyone had a good time at the restaurant. Service was very good and fast. However, the deserts came in like 20-25 minutes which was the only miss by the staff.

Beware: The place is expensive. You can't visit Flags every now and then, however atleast once is must.
Yes Flags has amazing food & yes its expensive too. It has one of the most exhaustive Menus that I have come across.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
^Thanks Ajay. Where is the place? What is the average price per person?
Its been long that I went there so dont remember the average per person charge, as for location, its in the building next to Inox, the same building also Idea office or at least used to have. If it still does then you should see the Yellow Idea sim card logo on top of the building.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2011, 13:10   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

We visited Flags last Sat, just before the MI4 movie, the food was excellent, although I found it reasonable, since it was just me & my wife
I had ordered the Bigos for the main course, now I've had the original dish in Poland & it was pretty close what they served at Flags.
Small things mattered, like the warm bread they served, instead of just cold bread tossed in a basket. The friendliness of the staff, nice place!!! Highly recommended.
Old 21st December 2011, 13:43   #224
BHPian

Visited Hotel Parc Estique about 3 weeks back. This is the business hotel located opposite of inorbit mall on nager raod. I had bought this deal online at timesdeal.com. It was buffet for two at Rs. 500.
The taste of the food was not good, very limited variety. Though I had a coupon it didnt feel worth going there.

The hotel is best avoided.
Old 21st December 2011, 14:07   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
... It has one of the most exhaustive Menus that I have come across. ...
I had been to Copa Cabana in Wakad for lunch on Mon Dec 19. The menu here too was humongous, though limited to Indian, Chinese, Thai and generally that region. Wonder how the cooks manage such variety.

I had a Tom Kha (Thai soup based on coconut cream and mushrooms) and a Khaoshwe with Prawns (Burmese). The soup was nice and teekha the way it is meant to be, but over-seasoning and too much acidic taste took away some of the pleasure. The Khaoshwe was not really authentic, since they had made the gravy really thick and heavy (it is supposed to be halfway between a prawn curry and Thai yellow curry). The garlicy noodles were good, and there was crisp fried garlic, chives and spring onions on the side. The quantities were just right to call light to normal.

My companions - all vegetarians - ordered various forms of veg sizzlers. None of them could finish what was on the plate - the quantity was humongous, and for the price (~240) - real VFM.

Not sure, but Pune seems to have taken to sizzlers like nowhere else in India. Must admit though - I have never seen a sizzler being shared around the table anywhere other than Pune. Have seen it in a restaurant near Dange Chowk in PC, as well as a couple of other places.
DerAlte is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed