Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 10:28   #316
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

With office on weekdays and weekends for families, catching up with friends is becoming rare and rare. So what we started doing is, once in a month, on the way back to home, we meet for quick cup coffee or a drink. Meet at 6.30 pm and finish at 8-8.30pm, join the family for dinner by 9-9.30pm. We normally prefer non-crowded restaurants or coffee shops.

When I am meeting my friends/ex-colleagues at Hinjewadi, we typically meet at Lemon Tree bar which is normally vacant at that time. Though Lemon Tree is not so great for lunch and dinner, they have some good starters that we typically order. Another option is, Orchid hotel on highway which is also deserted at this time. I liked their Tandoori dishes.

Yesterday I was meeting with friends who work in city, we initially decided to meet in some CCD. But it would be too crowded in evening. So finally we met in Ivy Bistro in E-square. As most of the people did their partying over weekend, when we reached there at 7pm, we were the only customers. I liked the place, good ambiance, discreet service. Starters menu was limited, but I liked food. We did not go for dinner, but tried fries, garlic bread, Tandoori platter. Good quiet place to catch up with friends. I guess it will be crowded during weekends.
Old 16th October 2012, 11:14   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Yesterday I was meeting with friends who work in city, we initially decided to meet in some CCD. But it would be too crowded in evening. So finally we met in Ivy Bistro in E-square. As most of the people did their partying over weekend, when we reached there at 7pm, we were the only customers. I liked the place, good ambiance, discreet service. Starters menu was limited, but I liked food. We did not go for dinner, but tried fries, garlic bread, Tandoori platter. Good quiet place to catch up with friends. I guess it will be crowded during weekends.
Ivy Bistro is indeed a very good place for dinner. Ambiance is good, food quality is good and the menu is also pretty decent.

The most interesting desert I have had till date was at Ivy Bistro. Its called Fried Icecream. The outer shell is actually fried like a pakoda and the core is chilled ice cream. I really dont know how the hell they make this, but its really worth a try.

I remember another nice dish called Passage to India, a mix of Italian and Indian. Overall, 8/10.
Old 16th October 2012, 14:03   #318
Senior - BHPian

Any good place where I can get steamed modak in large quantities (say 1-2 dozen)?
Old 16th October 2012, 14:17   #319
BHPian

^^ Shop next to Green Bakery at Shani Par
Shop on the corner of Prabhat Road and Karve Road (near deccan)

both these have very good Modak. There is one more shop in Kothrud but very difficult to explain its location/
Old 16th October 2012, 14:48   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Any good place where I can get steamed modak in large quantities (say 1-2 dozen)?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
^^ Shop next to Green Bakery at Shani Par
Shop on the corner of Prabhat Road and Karve Road (near deccan)
The one where Prabhat road meets Karve road is called Vrindavan as far as I remember. They also make good 'faraal' for Diwali, pre ordered only I think.

There are some more good places in Kothrud, but they mostly request for pre orders especially for festivals.

PS - 1-2 dozen is not large quantity as far as I know!
Old 17th October 2012, 00:08   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Agree with Anoop. Great Punjab (next to Regalia) is a great place for Punjabi food. Recently, we had our team lunch at this place and all the food was pretty good. However, the place is very pricey. For instance, a chicken dum biryani costs ~400 per plate.
Wow, 400 rs for a plate of Biryani.

Thank God my wife doesnt log on here, or I would be slapped with a huge bill at the end of the month!

As far as buffets are concerned, am still partial towards Barbecue Nation, though am mad at them for raising the prices to 750 per head.

But then, the spread is truly good, especially if you happen to land up on a day when they have one of their festivals.
Old 17th October 2012, 10:49   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaf Petiwala View Post
As far as buffets are concerned, am still partial towards Barbecue Nation, though am mad at them for raising the prices to 750 per head.
Is that price for food only, or includes beverages? One of our friends owes us a treat, so want to check how much this will set him back by. And how many meals we should skip before we get there
Old 17th October 2012, 11:09   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Is that price for food only, or includes beverages? One of our friends owes us a treat, so want to check how much this will set him back by. And how many meals we should skip before we get there
Its only for food, and just sometimes, a welcome mocktail is included, but not always.

I always repent the next day, when I remember how much more I could have had the previous night, especially their non ver starters. Some of them are absolutely out of this world. Last time I went, I was also treated to crab, brought to each table in a special pot, and they even offered to de bone it for us.

Strictly for heavy eaters, as I would wince in pain at the smile on the hosts face if my wife just pecked at her food.
Old 17th October 2012, 16:07   #324
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the quality of food at BBQ Nation has gone down.
Or its probably, that my taste buds have gotten too used to the taste there.
But 750 is a bit too pricey for the food. Its not worth that much.

I'd rather pay somewhere around that and dine at Spice Kitchen (Pune Marriott) and hog on any amount of starters/main course/desserts.
Oh BTW, the desserts at Spice Kitchen are to die for!
Old 17th October 2012, 18:24   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I'd rather pay somewhere around that and dine at Spice Kitchen (Pune Marriott) and hog on any amount of starters/main course/desserts.
Oh BTW, the desserts at Spice Kitchen are to die for!
totally agree with you. its even sweeter with their membership privileges. only issue is it impossible to go to work after that. or even go to sleep
Old 6th December 2012, 13:02   #326

Had one of the best Wada Pavs, I have ever eaten, forget the Joshi's and the Garden's, there is a new kid on the block and trust me it beats the Gardens and Joshis hollow.

If you are coming from station, take the turn to Tadiwalla Road, Just as you turn, look to the right towards Shorab Hall, you will see a handcart with Shiv Sambhu Wada Pav, written on it. Priced @ Rs. 12/- a piece, I bet you will never ever like any other Wada Pav, atleast in Pune
Old 6th December 2012, 14:23   #327
Senior - BHPian

Was at Goodluck restaurant last Saturday evening. I went their after a long time, but nothing ever changes in Goodluck, and most importantly the taste.

We had 4 Masala Omelets, 2 bun maskas and smoking-hot and super-tasty Kolhapuri Kheema and last but not least, 2 tea. The Kheema had tremendous fire-power.

In all these years (50+ years IIRC), Goodluck still rocks!
Old 6th December 2012, 18:31   #328
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ajay, could you give exact location and detailed directions to Goodluck from Kalyani nagar on Poona Nagar road. I will be in Poona next week and would like to try out this place. Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Was at Goodluck restaurant last Saturday evening. I went their after a long time, but nothing ever changes in Goodluck, and most importantly the taste.

We had 4 Masala Omelets, 2 bun maskas and smoking-hot and super-tasty Kolhapuri Kheema and last but not least, 2 tea. The Kheema had tremendous fire-power.

In all these years (50+ years IIRC), Goodluck still rocks!
Old 6th December 2012, 18:54   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Hi Ajay, could you give exact location and detailed directions to Goodluck from Kalyani nagar on Poona Nagar road. I will be in Poona next week and would like to try out this place. Thanks in advance
Hi Khoj,

Kalyani Nagar > Koregaon Park > Bund Garden Road > RTO > Junglee Maharaj Road > Fergusson College Road.

Goodluck is at the very beginning of Fergusson College road.

Here's the map:
A Guide: Eating out in Pune-goodluck.jpg

However, there is another easier option for you. The place is called Vohuman Cafe, which is pretty near from Kalyani Nagar. Kalyani Nagar > Koregaon Park > Bund Garden Road > Jahangir Hospital. The cafe is adjacent to the Jahangir Hospital building.

Both the cafes are Irani style and most of the offerings are similar.
Old 10th December 2012, 12:35   #330
BHPian

Place for coffee and food

I normally prefer CCD for their cappuccino and chili cheese sandwich. There is always some CCD around the corner.

I don't know what happened to Barista, difficult to find one in Pune

Also like Costa and Gloria Jeans. But somehow I think CCD cappuccino is better than these two.

Tried Baker Street, but I think they serve worst coffee, but food is better.

Newest one I tried is CBTL (Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf ) : Though expensive, this is the best. Good coffee collection. Also they have good Tea on offer. Tried Earl Grey, English breakfast, Assam tea. For better flavour, try it without Milk.

They also awesome food collection. Their all day breakfast menu is my favourite. Tried Omlettes, pasta and sandwiches. All were good. Do try CBTL when you visit Phoenix. Budget something like Rs 300 per person for Food+tea/coffee.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks