Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2013, 12:14   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

We thought about going into Andy's last week, but it seemed so empty that we were quite suspicious. Now with a bhpian review, seems to be a good place to try out.

We also tried (not on the same day!):
- Maddy's pasta bar. Karishma society, Karve road. Ok ish pasta. good enough for one of those weekdays when you dont want to cook at home!
- Krusty's, same road a bit further up. Decent sandwiches (more variety/ options would be good). Decent options for dessert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Just yesterday did we buy fish from Superkars' outlet opposite Thorat Udyan/Shivaji statue.
Looks like a fishy weekend for bhpians. I was at the Supekar outlet too, but the one near the flyover/ Dashabhuja temple. Oddly enough my son noted there are about 5 temples to be seen from that fish shop!
We bought twice from the Shivaji statue outlet but the fish wasnt all that good.

Last edited by selfdrive : 24th December 2013 at 12:15.
Old 24th December 2013, 15:37   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
We thought about going into Andy's last week, but it seemed so empty that we were quite suspicious.
Well , this Andy's (at Bavdhan) seems to be perennially empty! A couple of months ago, the missus and a female friend of hers who lives nearby walked into Andy's on a saturday evening, only to find it completely deserted, with just the waiters bunched around and chit-chatting. Spooked a bit, they walked out. We decided to try it out again last month, this time on a Friday evening after work, and lo , it was again devoid of any customers at all.. We decided to walk away again.
Old 24th December 2013, 16:30   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
We thought about going into Andy's last week, but it seemed so empty that we were quite suspicious. Now with a bhpian review, seems to be a good place to try out.

good.
By the time we left around 9:30 pm the restaurant was half full.
Old 24th December 2013, 17:04   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
The karve rd shop is Supekar's. Another outlet is near Shivaji putala/Kothrud.
==========
KaandBaaz - is that the point where the road from Uni of Pune also joins in? - Same road as I mentioned for the fish merchant?
Abhay: If you mean the road that comes from back-gate of Uni then yes. There are 2 Kerela joints over there. And both serve good beef curry n fry and also nice fish fry.
Old 24th January 2014, 16:48   #455
BHPian

Any pasta / risotto lovers can try out this new place called ROFL - Rendezvous of Food Lovers at Law College Road, just besides KOBE Sizzlers. They serve some delicious pasta and unlike many pasta places in Pune don't serve saucy or very dry pasta. Their quantity is also decent for the price. Beer and Wine are also available.
Old 27th January 2014, 16:00   #456
BHPian

We went to Kalyani Veg., Kalyani Nagar this weekend for a breakfast and were delighted by the Veg. Cutlet.

The other things we ordered were set dosa, tomato uttapa, Mysore masala dosa and Tea.

I tend to judge a place serving south Indian food, by the taste of the Sambar it serves. To my surprise Kalyani veg serves awesome sambar and coconut chutney.

It was our last day in Viman Nagar and now having moved to Baner, "Do say Idlicious" would be go to place for South Indian food.

BTW, love the coconut chutney at Vaishali, but dislike the Sambar.
Old 19th February 2014, 11:29   #457
BHPian

I m fan of batata vada. However could not find good one (something original from Konkan & Mumbai) in Pune yet including all famous (Joshi - Reddy - Prabha - etc) joints. Off late tried it at Rupali on FC Rd.
Found it good. Try it.
I still miss Sweet Home's batata vada.
Old 19th February 2014, 11:36   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle View Post
I m fan of batata vada. However could not find good one (something original from Konkan & Mumbai) in Pune yet including all famous (Joshi - Reddy - Prabha - etc) joints. Off late tried it at Rupali on FC Rd.
Found it good. Try it.
Please try ROHIT wadewale. I find their Wadas to be the best I have had. Best thing about them is they never make 100 wadas and keep them. Its almost everytime made to order. So you get fresh & piping hot wadas.

If you burn your senses with the hot wadas, then most Rohit wadewale shops also serve Mango Lassi, which is fantastic.

Cheers!
Old 19th February 2014, 14:11   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzvxi View Post
We went to Kalyani Veg., Kalyani Nagar this weekend for a breakfast and were delighted by the Veg. Cutlet.
Yes, Kalyani is overall pretty good. I think Pav Bhaji is famous there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post

If you burn your senses with the hot wadas, then most Rohit wadewale shops also serve Mango Lassi, which is fantastic.
Are they using frozen mango juice for the lassi?

Meanwhile, we tried GreenField at Kalyani Nagar, next to Bishop's school.
The ambiance is good. They have separate vegetarian section and also serve jain food.
Overall the food was good (the 'today's specials were average though).
The cost is also very reasonable. Perfect if you are looking at eating some standard stuff without spending much.
Old 20th February 2014, 11:52   #460
Senior - BHPian

We went to "Siya" in Kothrud the other day , after reading a BHP'ians review a few pages back. It is located further down the road from City Pride. The ambiance is pretty good for a "little-bit-of-everything" places that dot Pune. The service aspect leaves no room for complaint either. Its the food though, that may need some improvement. Also, unlike its competition in the area, this place has a dedicated Continental/Thai/Mexican menu. Limited options though, but they are there nevertheless.
Not that much of a wait is also a an advantage, along with being easier on the pocket.
Old 20th February 2014, 13:01   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Its the food though, that may need some improvement. Also, unlike its competition in the area, this place has a dedicated Continental/Thai/Mexican menu. Limited options though, but they are there nevertheless.
Not that much of a wait is also a an advantage, along with being easier on the pocket.
We had a very poor experience in terms of food quality at SIYA. Everything we had ordered, had huge room for improvement, be it soup, starters, deserts. There are so many restaurants in Kothrud area, which may not have as good ambience, but surely better food quality. Even one of the oldest restaurants in Kothrud, called SHEETAL, still makes really good Punjabi dishes and mostly everything.
Old 20th February 2014, 13:33   #462
Senior - BHPian

Ohh Yeah. Sheetal is one of the oldest "we-dont-wanna-cook-at-home-today" restaurants in the area.
They also make one the best sambhars I have tasted, IMHO. Much better than the "alis" of FC Road.
Old 20th February 2014, 21:41   #463
BHPian

Quote:
Please try ROHIT wadewale. I find their Wadas to be the best I have had. Best thing about them is they never make 100 wadas and keep them. Its almost everytime made to order. So you get fresh & piping hot wadas.

Cheers!
I beg to differ. Like every other fast food chain, the quality isn't consistent across every outlet. I have tried their vadas at the Baner outlet and another at the Balaji Nagar outlet. I was disappointed with the latter; the vadas weren't fresh and were cold, minimum seating arrangement and the plates - ugghh!

In spite of this, I gorged on 3 vadas (with pav, mind you) cuz I was roaming the entire day on an empty stomach. The only saving grace was the coffee which I assume was freshly brewed unlike the tea.
Old 21st February 2014, 11:07   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Axle View Post
why, is it closed? I ate there a few months ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Ohh Yeah. Sheetal is one of the oldest "we-dont-wanna-cook-at-home-today" restaurants in the area.
They also make one the best sambhars I have tasted, IMHO. Much better than the "alis" of FC Road.
For that category "we-dont-wanna-cook-at-home-today", I nominate
Happy Singh da kitchen near the RE showroom/ CD outlet
For sambhar, I think it is high time I invited you guys over for breakfast to ensure I introduce you to sambhar the way it should be!

Quote:
We had a very poor experience in terms of food quality at SIYA.
I agree, the ambience etc is good. but the food is like a recipe being followed but quite tasteless really
Old 21st February 2014, 13:17   #465
BHPian

^This Happy Singh is it next to "Gavkari"? I saw that place go from 2 shops to 1 and haven't checked it out yet. selfdrive you can always make some for us and have a breakfast meet as I suggested sometime back

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks