Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2023, 17:38   #586
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Puneri Folks,

Soon I will be required to give a partyfor my Son's fantastic results of Std X (he scored 97%) to my wife's side family (extended) comprising of atleast 20-25 persons. I was thinking of getting away with a Durvankur, Vishnuji ki Rasoi etc types arrangement but I am told to look out for better options where the Maharashtrian Thali could be served in a better ambience. Hence asking for recommendations, kindly suggest.

I am open to Rajasthani thali setups too but it will be the back up option.
You can try
  1. Vishnuvardhan dining hall, DP road (same road where Vishnuji ki Rasoi is located) -- I recently had dinner here and liked it. they have unlimited aam ras option.
  2. Sukhkarta dining hall - Mayur Colony, Kothrud
  3. Janaseva Bhojanalaya, Deccan
  4. Shabree Restaurant, FC Road
bhppower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2023, 15:58   #587
Senior - BHPian

The family function for which I had requested for info was done in a safer bet i.e Sukhanta. Family didnt want to experiment with new.

I visited the Tiranga Bhavan, Paud road Kothrud much to insistence of FIL & BIL for biryani. Had the Mutton and chicken dum biryani. The taste was awesome with right amount of spicy quotient. The serving was ample for 2 persons. The biryani was followed by Solkadi and was refreshing. The ambience of the place was good too except for the irritating spraying of water for cooling the temp (spray tube was installed on the rotating wall mount fan). Will definitely recommend this place to biryani lovers.

A little birdie said this joint is #1 in Biryani followed by Pk Biryani joints. Pune foodies can confirm this.
Old 4th June 2023, 19:54   #588
BHPian

Visited some Veg Thali places with a friend who is loves Thali type Hotels.
I too enjoyed the pure veg food.
Places we went-
Rasoi Thali. Superb food with good service.
Janaseva Dining Hall. Since 1945. Nice food in Basic setting.
Naivedya (new place Opp Hotel Sandeep) they have food of different states on on different days. When we went , that day was Maharashtrian Aamras thali.

Tried going to Asha Dining Hall , (there is no Car Parking inside anymore), and we did not get parking outside that Saturday.

Has Panchavati Gurav closed down or shifted to another location?
Happysmiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 09:38   #589
Senior - BHPian

Visited newly opened Surves a pure non veg restaurant on Sinhagad road at Funtime complex. The restaurant is located at basement and isnt easily visible from the road. There is no parking available. The dishes we tried was Mutton handi with bharkris and chapatis. For strange reason they served the dry and gravy separate. The taste was good. They served this Indrayani rice which was sticky. They have various thalis - Chicken, mutton, veg etc and dishes are available ala carte too. A good non veg option available closer to my place.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2023, 16:23   #590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
Naivedya (new place Opp Hotel Sandeep) they have food of different states on on different days. When we went , that day was Maharashtrian Aamras thali.
Naivedya's food was good, however, I didn't like the attitude of their owner. In peak "dhonda" season, they refused to serve dhonda and gave elaborate excuses on why they didn't serve.

Quote:
Has Panchavati Gurav closed down or shifted to another location?
Do try other Thali places like:
i) "Shahi Bhoj" on JM Road,
ii) "Panch Shahi Pakwan" in Hinjewadi,
iii) "Sukanta" on JM Road and for Rajasthani/Gujarati thali experiences and
iv) of-course "Shreyas" on Apte Road for Maharashtrian thali.
v) One more nice place is "Siddhivinayak dining hall" on Tilak Road. Awesome dahi-vadas for sure!

If you don't care about ambience and want to see proper Maharashtrian thali which are students lifesavers (cheap and tasty), try "SuvarnaRekha" near Ajanta Avenue-Kothrud, "Mejwani dining hall" near Ashish Garden-Kothrud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhppower View Post
You can try [list=1][*]Vishnuvardhan dining hall, DP road (same road where Vishnuji ki Rasoi is located) -- I recently had dinner here and liked it. they have unlimited aam ras option.
I tried this place but the service was very weird, which may be due to the long waiting time due to "Adhik Maas". Taste was decent.

Last edited by turbospooler : 18th September 2023 at 16:26.
Old 19th September 2023, 13:08   #591
Senior - BHPian

A new outlet of "Alice in Gelatoland" opened up near me in Viman Nagar.
I wasn't aware of this chain and searched online out of curiosity. Turned out it was quite a famous new thing in Pune, with one branch in Camp already on a lot of reels.

So visited this one in Viman Nagar. There was a lot of rush here too.

Managed to have a word with the owner. Apparently they are the same guys as the Haji Ali Juice Centre.

They have a huge variety of deserts + they also serve pasta & pizzas. Couple of sugar free options as well (they use Stevia as sweetener). I played safe & stuck to coffee while my family went on to their selections of mostly creams of various types, sitaphal rabdi & Sundaes

Found it overpriced, so much so that both my kids who tried their Sundae & Ktikat cream said "not worth".
But the Sitaphal cream & Sitaphal Rabdi were liked by the elders.

Its is a good one time visit.
I hadn't tried anything from Haji Ali juice Centre before so I had no original taste to refer to. But if you are someone who has fond memories of the original place and have your old time favorites from there, I am sure you will get the same taste & quality here.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 19th September 2023 at 13:10.
vinit.merchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2023, 17:30   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Naivedya's food was good, however, I didn't like the attitude of their owner.
Agreed. When we went , Bill was to be paid at the Counter and not at the table. Some silly excuse, by the owner about people wasting time at the table post lunch.

Another favourite of mine is Asha Dining Hall.
Happysmiles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 12:32   #593
BHPian

Guys any recommendations for good restaurants (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner) in and around Pune Railway station? Veg & Non-veg, both please.
Old 3rd February 2024, 13:06   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Guys any recommendations for good restaurants (Breakfast / Lunch / Dinner) in and around Pune Railway station? Veg & Non-veg, both please.
Walking distance (within 1 km) from Pune Station:
1. Vohuman Cafe
2. Jhamu's place - Speciality is sizzlers, slightly on the expensive side
3. Hotel Panchvati - Typical multi cuisine restaurant, but serves good food.
4. Kapila kathi kabab - yummy and filling kathi rolls
5. Hotel Ritz - serves lovely Gujarati thali
6. Madhuban restaurant - pure veg place

Within 3 km radius, lots of options on and around MG Road and East Street. Some of them are:
1. Marzorin - quick bites like sandwiches, rolls etc.
2. Mona foods - vegetarian stuff, try the Chole Bhature
3. Dorabjee and sons - Irani food
4. Kings Persian Bistro
5. The Place - sizzlers
6. Cafe Diamond Queen
7. Kayani bakery
8. Cafe Yezdan - No frills, low key place, but good food

None of the above are fancy, fine dine places. Their menus should be available online, so do check before going.

Within 5 km radius, there are many restaurants in Koregaon Park (specifically in the North main rd and South main rd area). However, most of them are on the pricier side, so don't know personally which are good and which aren't.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 3rd February 2024 at 13:26.
comfortablynumb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 20:41   #595
BHPian

Pune Guest House at Laxmi Road- We loved Maharashtrian Thali during our last visit.

Plan to be in Pune again on 3rd March. Any suggestions for similar experience. Looking for authentic local basic good food . The reason , we prefer to try local homely food.

And yes, we are Vegetarian.

Last edited by Satkaj : 3rd February 2024 at 20:43.
Old 4th February 2024, 11:57   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Walking distance (within 1 km) from Pune Station:

Within 3 km radius, lots of options on and around MG Road and East Street. Some of them are:

None of the above are fancy, fine dine places. Their menus should be available online, so do check before going.

Within 5 km radius, there are many restaurants in Koregaon Park (specifically in the North main rd and South main rd area). However, most of them are on the pricier side, so don't know personally which are good and which aren't.
Many thanks for the recommendations , will surely try one of these.

Also, I remember going to this one place or rather a joint sort of , which serves excellent Mutton / Chicken stuff. It's a 10 mins drive from Shanivar-wada and located pretty centrally at some junction. Sorry I cannot recollect the place or the area. But the food there was amazing! Hell of a crowded place , primarily with young folks , but very very basic place with a mezzanine floor.

Since you're a local , any idea what place this is? Sorry , about my limited info.
ashvek3141 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 12:20   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Since you're a local , any idea what place this is? Sorry , about my limited info.
From your description, my guess is it could be one of the non-veg mess type hotels (Sainath khanawal, Milan khanawal, Aware Maratha khanawal etc.) on Kumthekar road. My bet is on Sainath khanawal as it's located right at the start of Kumthekar road, just 50 metres or so from the huge Alka talkies - Sambhaji bridge chowk.

Just so that you are aware, it is at least a 30-40 min auto ride from the railway station.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 4th February 2024 at 12:38.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 10:52   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satkaj View Post
Pune Guest House at Laxmi Road- We loved Maharashtrian Thali during our last visit.

Plan to be in Pune again on 3rd March. Any suggestions for similar experience. Looking for authentic local basic good food . The reason , we prefer to try local homely food.

Try Peshwai Dining near SP college

https://maps.app.goo.gl/jpqxLBLfV6zw1QaE8
radek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2024, 11:41   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satkaj View Post

In case you are near Kothrud, one of best homely thalis is available at "Revati Dining Hall". It is newly open by a very famous and well-regarded caterer in this area.

For all Punekars, this is like old style wedding food without the hassle of the wedding itself
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Pune-revati.jpg  

Ferrari1976 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed