Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2013, 11:09   #361
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Highly recommended - Liver fry at Hotel Kaveri. Weirdly enough, I have never been to the chandni chowk branch which a couple of kms from my place. Always been to the Wagholi place, and its always lipsmacking goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Great Punjab, Koregaon Park. They have a branch at Baner as well. NOT the one near Mahabaleshwar Hotel but further up towards the bypass.
I tried the butter chicken at Great Punjab KP after years. One word - horrendous.
I had to make a trip to Mainland China to cleanse the palate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHCVtec View Post
Try "Tasty Tongues" in Bavdhan. I guess they have a branch near MG Road as well. The samosas are nice, north indianish and the jalebi's are yummy as well..
I seem to be having a bad time or really huge expectations these days. Tried the samosa at Tasty Tongues. Was just about ok. Still looking!
Old 2nd October 2013, 16:57   #362
BHPian

I tried misal at katakkir in karve road after waiting for an hour just dor the takeaway

Did not liveup to the hype at all, my office cafeteria does a better job

Disappointing...........
Old 2nd October 2013, 20:12   #363
Senior - BHPian

Are there any good burger joints in Pune? Where can I get authentic burgers in Pune?
Old 2nd October 2013, 20:20   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Are there any good burger joints in Pune? Where can I get authentic burgers in Pune?
Try Height Bar near Vincent's school.
They also have a branch in Wanawri .
Old 2nd October 2013, 20:24   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I like the burgers at Burger King. They have 2 outlets - one at the corner of East street and the other is adjacent to ABC farms on North Main Road. The burgers at Hite Bar near St.Vincent High School are also good.

EDIT: Don't go to the above 2 places if you're an "ambience" guy.

I've heard that the Burger Barn Cafe in Koregaon Park, Lane 5 on the South Main Rd side is also good.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 3rd October 2013, 10:17   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Depends on your definition of authentic!
Aaseing, next to the Subway joint on Law college road has some good burgers. It is a tapri
Burger king is the baap of all burger joints here, but for non veg options. My veggie friends found their veggie options a bit disappointing

I found a gourmet burger joint in Amanora, but did not try it. Anyone been there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Try Height Bar near Vincent's school.
They also have a branch in Wanawri .
Hite bar (near Husseini baug in Camp) is more popular for shawarma, but their burgers are also decent.

What about?
wadapav - JJ garden, camp
veg puffs - ?
egg/ chicken puffs - bakers basket?
misal - Shriram tulshibag
sabudana khichdi - ?
samosas - cant get over it yet!
burgers - burger king
sizzlers - ?
continental (?) - polka dots, aundh
french bakery (croissants, macarons, baguettes etc) - la bouchee d'or, boat club road and aundh
chinese - mainland china
'indian' chinese - ?
tandoori - ?
fish - fish curry n rice narayan peth
biryani - ?
rogan josh - ?
bhakri + non veg + very spicy - kaveri, wagholi

I will stop asking now.

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd October 2013 at 10:29.
Old 3rd October 2013, 15:15   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Aaseing, next to the Subway joint on Law college road has some good burgers. It is a tapri
That's near to where I live. I have seen that tapri-on-wheels; when I return from the morning walk daily How authentic is a good question - I am more or less into chicken and/or veg. Nothing more authentic because then I get indigestion if I eat any other meat. Let's see, I will try out one of the joints this weekend and post it here.
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:03   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try RushHrs, they have branches in Baner, Hinjewadi and Viman Nagar and are moderately authentic. Also Burger House, Lane 7, Koregaon Park, which was initially Burger Barn is pretty decent. They have a branch on NIBM Road, Kondwa as well. Aesing's/Burger Kings/Hite bar are mostly glorified street food joints and are far from authentic, so I won't suggest them.

Last edited by AyAn! : 3rd October 2013 at 16:06.
Old 3rd October 2013, 16:17   #369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Try RushHrs, they have branches in Baner, Hinjewadi and Viman Nagar and are moderately authentic. Also Burger House, Lane 7, Koregaon Park, which was initially Burger Barn is pretty decent.
Burger barn was pretty decent too. I forgot the place altogether, but I think they did have a 'wth' burger!

I found Rush hrs hit or miss. The taste differs between their branches, sometimes not in a very positive way

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd October 2013 at 16:18.
Old 3rd October 2013, 18:18   #370
Senior - BHPian

Inorbit opened some time back and I decided to revisit it and see how they are coping up.

The rush is about 50% of what it used to be in its 'golden days'.

Food in Inorbit is no longer the same. Taste is just average and for the money they charge, I did not find it worth it, but perhaps hygiene level is the same. I would recommend Phoenix - everything there is much better, Up South being one of our family favourites.
Old 5th October 2013, 13:56   #371
Senior - BHPian

Aasing's kitchen. It's a roadside stall so no great shakes about the ambience. I got 3 burgers from him yesterday. 1 chicken, 1 veg and 1 spl veg. Basically he was taking venky's ready-to-cook burger patties and deep frying them So, it was like a homemade burger. Service was quick, though there were 2-3 groups of college youngsters there. The burgers were cheap to, for 50, 50 and 60 inr. However not much of real burgers. I mean those are readymade patties so its no special taste or so. Ok to go, if you are very hungry and are looking for something quick and fast without much details.

Rating - ***
Ambience - *½
Price - * (cheap)
Overall vfm - ***

Now pending items - Height bar, and Burger barn cafe.
Old 5th October 2013, 16:11   #372
BHPian

^Try Burger King.. it still brings back memories of college days. It has retained that taste too (having tried it out recently - also one of the only places to get beef burgers in Pune AFAIK)

for selfdrive-

veg puffs - Santosh Bakery, Ghole rd or New Poona Bakery near Tambdi Jogeshwari
sabudana khichdi - A small tapri called Bipin opposite Garware College or rather near the 2-wheeler bridge..
samosas - Charan sweets has good samosas which aren't spicy (this is at Gol Market in Pashan)
sizzlers - The Place next to Westend

we should have a meet just to discuss this thread, lol
Old 5th October 2013, 16:49   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
for selfdrive-

veg puffs - Santosh Bakery, Ghole rd or New Poona Bakery near Tambdi Jogeshwari
sabudana khichdi - A small tapri called Bipin opposite Garware College or rather near the 2-wheeler bridge..
samosas - Charan sweets has good samosas which aren't spicy (this is at Gol Market in Pashan)
sizzlers - The Place next to Westend

we should have a meet just to discuss this thread, lol
Thanks Abhay!
Santosh bakery - done. for some reason when I eat those veg puffs steaming hot they are very 'tupkat' (not sure if oily is the word). still looking for better
Bipin - I am there every saturday morning. khichdi is good as is their veg pattice (the bread slice fried one). again I am looking for something like Appa's canteen level of khichdi (the one behind PYC). Not sure if it is still open
charan sweets - no idea where this is. will have to find out. I usually stay away from these sweet shops
The Place, touche near Westend? Done that too. there is also Bounty opposite Gold Adlabs Kalyaninagar. decent enough

Let me add more
Chole Bhature - monafood, still little competition there
Bhel - Kalyan bhel, off Law college road
Pani puri - ?
Pav bhaji - there is a place in karvenagar, forgot the name
Sandwiches - looking
Grilled sandwiches - Grubshup is half decent
Idlis, dosas, other south indian food - not found yet. I dont like the udupi places. and if someone says Vaishali, you dont know either me or your dosas well enough. Most probably both

I must seem like some perenially hungry person!
We do have a meet at Grand on the 12th. See if you can make it, check out the next tapri meet thread

Last edited by selfdrive : 5th October 2013 at 16:52.
Old 5th October 2013, 21:34   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Idlis, dosas, other south indian food - not found yet. I dont like the udupi places. and if someone says Vaishali, you dont know either me or your dosas well enough. Most probably both
For idli dosa my choice is kalyani veg opp adlabs at kalyaninagar, yes it is udipi, but like no other

Try planning a breakfast there, their sambar is just right for me, hope it works for you as well
Old 5th October 2013, 21:57   #375
Senior - BHPian

Seems they have improved but then in all fairness the last time I ate there was nearly 18 months ago

Can someone help me recall the name of a vada pav wala in camp. His hand cart is in the lane where Dorabjees now have their parking entry/exit. As one walks from Dorabjees, passes Bano apartments on their left, one comes to a small park again on the LHS, this guy is across the road from the park on the RHS. Anyone?? this place has people swarming like bees around it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
For idli dosa my choice is kalyani veg opp adlabs at kalyaninagar, yes it is udipi, but like no other

Try planning a breakfast there, their sambar is just right for me, hope it works for you as well

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks