Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Pav bhaji - there is a place in karvenagar, forgot the name
Mayur

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Anyone?? this place has people swarming like bees around it....
Garden Wada Pav

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 5th October 2013, 23:12   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
^Try Burger King.. it still brings back memories of college days. It has retained that taste too (having tried it out recently - also one of the only places to get beef burgers in Pune AFAIK)

for selfdrive-

veg puffs - Santosh Bakery, Ghole rd or New Poona Bakery near Tambdi Jogeshwari
sabudana khichdi - A small tapri called Bipin opposite Garware College or rather near the 2-wheeler bridge..
samosas - Charan sweets has good samosas which aren't spicy (this is at Gol Market in Pashan)
sizzlers - The Place next to Westend

we should have a meet just to discuss this thread, lol
If you want beef burgers, you can try a 'Berg' at the 'Burg' at Amanora, top floor, rear wing. Its one of the best burgers i have had.
Old 5th October 2013, 23:29   #378
Senior - BHPian

See if you can help me with two more. These establishments are both located on the same road whose name I have forgotten. Sorry my bad..

I came across these while trying to drive from AFMC towards Katraj via the Salisbury park area. The road initially passed through an army cantt/area and then opened up into a 3 lane on either side. These two shops were on the LHS when driving away from the army area and at least a kilometer or more from it.

One of them is a 'Paan' shop. The thing is this is not a tapri but a full size paan shop and the chap had a fantastic variety of paan leaves apart from other paraphernalia. This shop is a branch/offshoot of one from Indore. The other unique feature was that there were no smokes on sale, only paan.

The other shop is a few hundred meters down the same road also on the LHS and sells "Mastani", now I have had Mastani in a lot of places is Poona but the one here was too good.

Mastani though seems to have lost popularity, I do not recall it being mentioned/discussed on the previous pages.

Thanks in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Garden Wada Pav

Cheers,
Vikram

Unbelievable, for some reasons the names Anil and Raju were coming to mind.

Thanks Vikram.

Last edited by khoj : 5th October 2013 at 23:31.
Old 5th October 2013, 23:35   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Mayur

Garden Wada Pav

Cheers,
Vikram
JJ garden wada pav

@khoj, I am not too fond of desserts and considering I am the most frequent poster on the last few pages, sweets may not have been discussed!
Old 6th October 2013, 08:51   #380
BHPian

How come i dont see a biryani debate going on over here....

Dorabjees, bluenile, durga, SP's, karachi(pimpri), degchi......tried them all over years at multiple instance.. But my favourite over last 5 yrs have been Fakruddin (takeway by kilo).. My last trip to paradise, i still find Fakruddin beter
Old 6th October 2013, 09:24   #381
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can someone help me recall the name of a vada pav wala in camp. His hand cart is in the lane where Dorabjees now have their parking entry/exit.
That vada pav place is called Cafe Garden.
Old 6th October 2013, 12:42   #382
Senior - BHPian

Thank you moralfibre and selfdrive.

Hey Selfdrive time to think about the rest of us who have nothing but sweet teeth in their mouths . You may not indulge yourself but you can surely help in discovering some hidden treasures.

Care to start with the Mastani and Paan shop that I am trying to locate in my earlier post.

Quote:
JJ garden wada pav

@khoj, I am not too fond of desserts and considering I am the most frequent poster on the last few pages, sweets may not have been discussed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
That vada pav place is called Cafe Garden.

Anupam, please share the exact location of Fakruddin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
How come i dont see a biryani debate going on over here....

Dorabjees, bluenile, durga, SP's, karachi(pimpri), degchi......tried them all over years at multiple instance.. But my favourite over last 5 yrs have been Fakruddin (takeway by kilo).. My last trip to paradise, i still find Fakruddin beter
Old 6th October 2013, 23:19   #383
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, the location is practicaly impossible to share, master kitchen is in camp and one counter in wanorie,

check for FJ caterers over google or just dial, else i will fish out the number and share.
Old 7th October 2013, 09:22   #384
BHPian

Had Vada Pav at Chintu's vadapao. This looks to be a new place. Location is opposite Sony world on the 1 way stretch of Paud Road as you come from Deccan side.

He serves some interesting variations on the regular vada pao. 8/10 for Taste and 9/10 for innovation. Seemed hygienic with rates comparable to road side vendors.
Old 7th October 2013, 11:12   #385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
http://www.justdial.com/Pune/f-j-cat...th/020P5074441

https://www.google.co.in/maps/previe...63!4d73.876271
OR
http://here.com/india/pune-city/busi...d188f9197a23fc

They also have a branch in Wanwadi near Salunkhe Vihar:
http://www.justdial.com/Pune/f-j-cat...629151533-Y5F9

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th October 2013 at 11:16.
Old 7th October 2013, 15:18   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Selfdrive time to think about the rest of us who have nothing but sweet teeth in their mouths . You may not indulge yourself but you can surely help in discovering some hidden treasures.
Ha ha, I wish I could help. But I really dont know (or remember) any such places. Ice cream I can help with, but no other sweets. Hope the other sweet toothed folks here can advise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
check for FJ caterers over google or just dial, else i will fish out the number and share.
I remember a time when we just walked down to Babajan chowk and found our way!
Please share the number. I think he also delivers biryani based on the volume ordered, till a certain distance of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Had Vada Pav at Chintu's vadapao. This looks to be a new place.
He serves some interesting variations on the regular vada pao. 8/10 for Taste and 9/10 for innovation. Seemed hygienic with rates comparable to road side vendors.
Thanks for the tip, will check out this place. I hope we can save a trip to Camp this week! Sounds odd to go all the way to Camp for wada pav
Old 7th October 2013, 16:59   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to Vardayani at Bavdhan last night and had some decent South Indian dosa/uthappa there. This place is special since one of the early breakfast meets with the Pune gang had taken place here circa 2010-11. I had taken my parents there once a few months ago but then they were only serving the regular "Punjabi" stuff, no dosas etc. Good to see them back at what they do best.

Interestingly, this is the only family-friendly Udupi place on that entire stretch. Business opportunity!
Old 7th October 2013, 17:41   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Interestingly, this is the only family-friendly Udupi place on that entire stretch. Business opportunity!
Good, someday some true Southie will start a true southie place with real idlis and dosas. And all this Udupi gibberish in Pune will be laid to rest.

If I take up the opportunity, I will name the place noopster
Old 8th October 2013, 10:16   #389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good, someday some true Southie will start a true southie place with real idlis and dosas. And all this Udupi gibberish in Pune will be laid to rest.

If I take up the opportunity, I will name the place noopster
Mr Balaji,

Have you been to Idlicious (Do Say Idlicious)on Baner road? I think its one of the very few true South Indian restaurants in Pune. No fuss, no ambience, but pretty good food I say. The butter Rawa Masala Dosa and the Bisi Bele rice are the highlights. The filter coffee is near to perfect. The menu is not huge and all, but whatever is served, is tasty.

Its dirt cheap compared to all Udupi restaurants which try to serve South Indian food.

Here's the map: https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...ed=0CAgQ_AUoAg

Make sure you order the 'Gun powder' ghee poured on top, with anything you order. Must have.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 8th October 2013 at 10:18.
Old 8th October 2013, 13:04   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Mr Balaji,
Have you been to Idlicious (Do Say Idlicious)on Baner road? I think its one of the very few true South Indian restaurants in Pune. No fuss, no ambience, but pretty good food I say. The butter Rawa Masala Dosa and the Bisi Bele rice are the highlights. The filter coffee is near to perfect. The menu is not huge and all, but whatever is served, is tasty.
Mr. Ajay,
Thanks for the tip. Will go there sometime next week.
No boasting, but I can fix up my own mean filter kaapi and 'gunpowder' (though I dont call it that!) but will go there for checking out the other food stuff

Most Viewed