Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2013, 13:58   #421
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
Somehow, PCMC area seems to be neglected on this thread.

Following are some of the places that are a MUST VISIT even if you don't stay in PCMC area
Maybe that's due to the thread being titled 'eating out in Pune'. How's that for a typical Puneri response?

But yeah, I have heard of some of those places (being a misal fanatic), and I guess a visit just for the food is in order. I never visit PCMC otherwise (used to go to Akurdi for my bike service till last year but now even that has stopped)
Old 25th October 2013, 10:55   #422
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,
There used to be this amazing anda bhurji laari just outside BMCC college - actually there used to be 3-4 laaris selling multiple stuff (bhurji, shakes, juices, tea stall). At any time of the evening, there used to be a sizable crowd at this spot. A lady used to man the main counter while 3-4 guys did the cooking.

After over a year, we visited this spot yesterday - and the entire section has been "cleaned" of all the laaris. Any idea where this guy has re-located?

Edit: This is the place I'm talking about. Name seems to be "Reshma Pav Bhurji Corner".

P.s. On a similar note, where did the Manmeet Chat (FC road) shop disappear to? His business seemed to be doing quite well, but dunno why he quit both shops (the other one was behind Ruby clinic) a few years back.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 25th October 2013 at 11:01.
Old 25th October 2013, 11:02   #423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
There used to be this amazing anda bhurji laari just outside BMCC college - actually there used to be 3-4 laaris selling multiple stuff (bhurji, shakes, juices, tea stall). At any time of the evening, there used to be a sizable crowd at this spot.

After over a year, we visited this spot yesterday - and the entire section has been "cleaned" of all the laaris. Any idea where this guy has re-located?
Ninja,

The bhurji at this stall was just outstanding. Infact all egg items were super. I heard they have relocated somewhere in Baner. I am not able to find the stall yet myself being in Baner. Will let you know as soon as I find it. The shop was run by a Muslim family and the name of the shop was Sapna or something.
Old 25th October 2013, 11:09   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Ninja,

The bhurji at this stall was just outstanding. Infact all egg items were super. I heard they have relocated somewhere in Baner. I am not able to find the stall yet myself being in Baner. Will let you know as soon as I find it. The shop was run by a Muslim family and the name of the shop was Sapna or something.
Awesome. Please do share if you get details. I agree on the awesomeness - infact the reason we went to this place yesterday is bcoz one of my old friends who came back from US after a few years had this place on his "must-visit" list. He remembered while I completely forgot this place
Old 25th October 2013, 11:43   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMS View Post
Whenever I have traveled down south, I have had some really nice non vegetarian food. Can any one suggest a few places in Pune where once can get good Southie Nonveg. Ambience doesn't really matter so much as long as the food is authentic.
For mangalorean (if you don't mind calling it southie) cuisine:
There is one highly overpriced and overrated place called Mahesh Lunch home. To be honest I never really liked anything there (even though I went with someone connected to the owner)
https://www.google.co.in/maps/previe...83!4d73.872457

At some distance from this place there is one Coconut Grove which is really much much better in terms of taste as well as pricing. (as well as ambiance for me) [Mangalorean as well as Andhra cuisine]

Last edited by alpha1 : 25th October 2013 at 11:45.
Old 25th October 2013, 11:56   #426
NMS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
For mangalorean (if you don't mind calling it southie) cuisine:
There is one highly overpriced and overrated place called Mahesh Lunch home. To be honest I never really liked anything there (even though I went with someone connected to the owner)

At some distance from this place there is one Coconut Grove which is really much much better in terms of taste as well as pricing. (as well as ambiance for me) [Mangalorean as well as Andhra cuisine]

Thanks Mate ! I too have been to MLH ! It has been kind of a mixed experience at different occasions ! Somehow even I found it to be slightly overpriced.

Wondering if the Gazalee (sea food restaurant chain from mumbai) is planning to set up shop here?

Coconut grove is really nice. I have had a good experience whenever I have been there !

Time to plan todays evening !
Old 25th October 2013, 11:59   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Ninja,

Quote:
Awesome. Please do share if you get details. I agree on the awesomeness - infact the reason we went to this place yesterday is bcoz one of my old friends who came back from US after a few years had this place on his "must-visit" list. He remembered while I completely forgot this place
Its called Reshma something, run by a muslim family, they have relocated to Karve road, at the chowk next to the two petrol pumps on your left if your travelling towards deccan corner!
Old 25th October 2013, 12:23   #428
Senior - BHPian

Liver fry, chicken and fish.
Succulent, tasty and spiced according to order.
Prawns biryani was amazing too.
Harsh restaurant, Paud road. next to Chaitanya paratha house.
My friend also reports the crabs there are well made.

Quote:
A lady used to man the main counter while 3-4 guys did the cooking.
nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I thought Soul Curry at Wakad had similar cuisine, but never tried out. Can somebody confirm?

I agree mahesh lunch home is overhyped. Maybe we should list the hyped eateries in Pune?
Old 25th October 2013, 12:39   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I agree mahesh lunch home is overhyped. Maybe we should list the hyped eateries in Pune?
Very definitely.
I would add George restaurant at MG Road / East Street to the list. I could never fathom why someone would stand in a queue lasting hours - its not that great.
A Few thali places are also over rated.

There is one place called Bhagat Tarachand in the Peth area/Laxmi road. Used to dole out lovely Rajasthani stuff, sadly it has degenerated to a normal restaurant (taste wise). But the hype still lives.

Last edited by alpha1 : 25th October 2013 at 12:41.
Old 25th October 2013, 13:08   #430
BHPian

Many thali places are over-rated....and the problem with the queues is mostly on week-ends.(which I try to avoid!) Try George on a week-day and the food is decent.

Mahesh Lunch Home in Mumbai was a much better experience than Pune from what I can remember while Gazalee is also very good. Hopefully they can setup shop here.

^^ Soul Curry -dunno about their non veg but the veg food was bad!
Old 25th October 2013, 13:55   #431
Senior - BHPian

I talked about George, because the juice is not worth the squeeze. I've seen queues even on weekdays.

Let me add Nisarg (near Tilak Road, Null Stop area) also to the list over highly overrated places.

Went twice, extremely horrible experience, with no taste aspect (unless you call packing red chillies in everything to the hilt = great taste) poor service coupled with extremely long waiting time.
Not surprisingly a few of my office colleagues have also lambasted that place.

One place where I have really relished every time is Nawabs near the IMax theater / Blue Nile. Surprisingly, I never come across its name when Puneri ppl TALK about places they've been to ...

Last edited by GTO : 26th October 2013 at 16:33. Reason: Discuss the places, not people. Thanks
Old 30th October 2013, 12:57   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Liver fry, chicken and fish.
Succulent, tasty and spiced according to order.
Prawns biryani was amazing too.
Harsh restaurant, Paud road. next to Chaitanya paratha house.
My friend also reports the crabs there are well made.
There is a small hole-in-the-wall place , called Pathans or something, just opposite Harsh. Used to like their chicken biryani, "back then". The non-biryani chicken items were good too,and not very expensive either. Backside of "Durga" , incase someone needs a more famous landmark.

Which reminds me, many many years ago, where the expanded Durga stands now (if my memory serves me right), we used to have Buninda's Kitchen. Yes, it was a branch of their Dhaba, strictly takeway. Fond memories of succulent butter chicken , and tandoor dishes which we often got home, since we were staying in that area.
Old 9th November 2013, 23:32   #433
Senior - BHPian

Farm-ville garden restaurant in pashan is a good option for veggies. The ambience is really good as it is on a hill top. The pricing is quite good actually cheaper than restaurants of similar Ambience. Though menu doesn't have much to offer apart from regular tandoori starters, punjabi main course and Chinese, but the taste and quantity of food served is really good.
Old 20th November 2013, 14:59   #434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Edit: This is the place I'm talking about. Name seems to be "Reshma Pav Bhurji Corner".
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599gto View Post
Its called Reshma something, run by a muslim family, they have relocated to Karve road, at the chowk next to the two petrol pumps on your left if your travelling towards deccan corner!
Found it. Reshma Bhurji has been restored opposite Garware College, in the Prince Photo Studio Premises.

Attachment 1168933
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Pune-reshma.jpg  

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 20th November 2013 at 15:01.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2013, 15:24   #435
Team-BHP Support

I had been to Taareef located opposite to CCD, ITI Road, Aundh a month back when I had visited Pune.

It's an AC restaurant, good ambiance but slightly congested for the tables that have been laid out inside, very courteous staff and serves excellent non-veg. food esp. the mutton raan (insane quantity and tastes lip-smacking good!) and the chicken tangdi kabab. The naan/tandoori roti served were also soft and just about the right size. You should check out the glass of buttermilk (chaas) - I haven't see a glass this HUGE!

The bill for a nice sumptuous meal (lunch) for the five of us was a little less than 2000 Rs. Worth every penny spent I say. Looking forward for a second visit during my next Pune visit.

Here're the burrp and zomato links:

http://www.zomato.com/pune/taareef-aundh

http://pune.burrp.com/listing/taaree...ants/170879039

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 20th November 2013 at 15:27. Reason: Adding burrp and zomato links.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks