Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2014, 14:44   #466
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
^This Happy Singh is it next to "Gavkari"? I saw that place go from 2 shops to 1 and haven't checked it out yet.
Nope, this is the leftmost shop in the first building next to RE Showroom. Kinda hard to spot from the road unless you are really looking for it. Looks kinda small, so must be a strictly takeaway place.
"dont-want-to-cook-at-home" has a corollary "wont-do-the-dishes-clearing-cleaning-up-either" , so that kinda rules out Happy Singh. Correct me if I am wrong and its quite spacious inside.
Old 22nd February 2014, 18:29   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
you can always make some for us and have a breakfast meet as I suggested sometime back
I dont mind, but we dont ever have the exact attendance for any meets according to confirmations. And sambhar is a bit tricky to carry around and eat. Not logistically simple so to say. but then I get a bit wound up if someone talks about sambhar in Pune restaurants. So let us see how this one goes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
"dont-want-to-cook-at-home" has a corollary "wont-do-the-dishes-clearing-cleaning-up-either" , so that kinda rules out Happy Singh. Correct me if I am wrong and its quite spacious inside.
it has got enough place for 2 guys to stand and place their order. I usually call for food to be delivered.
dude, buy use and throw plates. or just eat from the aluminium foil boxes.
I heard you had an Activa riding dishwasher, so why worry about dish washing?!

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd February 2014 at 18:31.
Old 10th March 2014, 01:32   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

<rant alert/>

Hello folks,
Seems like some of the familiar eating joints are slowly moving out
- I still miss Manmeet chat on FC road, dunno why he closed shop. There isn't one good alternative to fill that gap :(
- Chaitanya paranthas quality has gone down a lot (it's a diff matter the prices have gone in the opposite direction)
- Just today I found out that Diamond cafe (Fatima Nagar) has long back converted to a bakery; several years back we used to spend every weekend having amazing maska-bun and chai. Now they are focussing only on the bakery items
- A friend tells me Vohuman Cafe is on the block too; and might get sold/closed. Is this true?

Earlier weekends used to be spent with friends at these delightful restaurants/cafes with hours spent over a cup of tea and excellent food items. Nowadays everybody just heads to a mall/CCD to spend time.

Edit: Here's a good article on Irani cafes in Pune. Didn't know so many of these still existed. Time for tryouts
Irani Cafes in Pune

Last edited by ninjatalli : 10th March 2014 at 01:46. Reason: Added Link
Old 10th March 2014, 10:44   #469
BHPian

^You can add Diamond Queen to that list (it also has pretty food on the upper floor)
This is on the corner of East St...next to the petrol pump/Silver Jubilee motors.
Old 10th March 2014, 13:00   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Seems like some of the familiar eating joints are slowly moving out
it is not a new phenomenon. we had pain pangs when these closed down:
- Cafe Naaz
- Cafe Mahanaaz
- Lucky
- Jaws

to be honest, as a collegian from the late nineties, Vohuman was way down the priority list for us. Nostalgia remains, but we cannot expect businessmen to cater to our emotions. Perhaps it is good that some of them closed at the top of their game than continuing as a ghost of their original quality
Old 10th March 2014, 13:31   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
- Cafe Naaz
- Cafe Mahanaaz
I am yet to find a worthy replacement for the super Samosas at the Naaz and Mahanaaz. I so miss those.

Regarding, Vohuman cafe, is it really true that they are closing down? I had been there just 2 weeks ago.
Old 10th March 2014, 21:22   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzvxi View Post
We went to Kalyani Veg., Kalyani Nagar this weekend for a breakfast and were delighted by the Veg. Cutlet.

The other things we ordered were set dosa, tomato uttapa, Mysore masala dosa and Tea.

I tend to judge a place serving south Indian food, by the taste of the Sambar it serves. To my surprise Kalyani veg serves awesome sambar and coconut chutney.

It was our last day in Viman Nagar and now having moved to Baner, "Do say Idlicious" would be go to place for South Indian food.

BTW, love the coconut chutney at Vaishali, but dislike the Sambar.
Do say idlicous is boring now . We often go to this place near D mart , Way Down South .

I am a big fan of davangere dosas and would kill for good davangere dosas . I love the ones that are available at Tilak Tea Centre on Tilak Road .

The dosas here also are very nice .

Talking about Dosas , the dosas at Subhadra are divine , his Mysore Masala comes with a tangy chutney . Subhadra is one of the older joints in PUne on JM road , right opposite to the woodland showroom .
Old 10th March 2014, 23:17   #473
BHPian

For those on eastern part pf city, Vitthal Kamat is off late opened at Kondhapuri. Sometime 25 km drive in the evening to have some snacks & coffee with wife is worth enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
I beg to differ. Like every other fast food chain, the quality isn't consistent across every outlet. I have tried their vadas at the Baner outlet and another at the Balaji Nagar outlet. I was disappointed with the latter; the vadas weren't fresh and were cold, minimum seating arrangement and the plates - ugghh!

In spite of this, I gorged on 3 vadas (with pav, mind you) cuz I was roaming the entire day on an empty stomach. The only saving grace was the coffee which I assume was freshly brewed unlike the tea.
Try vada at Vithhal Kamat - not Vithhal Vada. Also try at Roopali.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th May 2014 at 11:34. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 11th March 2014, 07:01   #474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse

I am a big fan of davangere dosas and would kill for good davangere dosas .
Try Davengere Dosa at Bavdhan. Wash it down with Durga coffee next door. Pretty good!

I haven't found great chaat in Pune but last week we tried the stuff at Deepak Sweets (near Parihar Chowk Aundh) and it was topping! Pani puri to die for and ragda patty was great as well.
Old 11th March 2014, 09:37   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
- Cafe Naaz
- Cafe Mahanaaz
- Lucky
- Jaws

to be honest, as a collegian from the late nineties, Vohuman was way down the priority list for us. Nostalgia remains, but we cannot expect businessmen to cater to our emotions. Perhaps it is good that some of them closed at the top of their game than continuing as a ghost of their original quality
+1

I had ALL those in mind when I posted earlier, and it really hurts to see places like these go...especially Lucky...at 0100 in the night, a chicken fry/curry with chapati - going in/out from the side entrance, especially during the days before exams/submissions. :(

Atleast Goodluck is around and still serving good food although it is nigh on impossible to get in within 30mins in the evenings.. so have kind of stopped going there too.
Old 12th March 2014, 19:38   #476
BHPian

Went to 'Happy Singh Da Kitchen' last weekend. The food is good and the service prompt. There are 5-6 tables in a single row. It's like a shed has been put on a driveway and converted into a eating joint. But it's still comfortable to sit and eat and light on the pocket too.

I have a query of my own..
Where do I find a place that serves good North style Chole Bhature near Baner?

Last edited by Ajitsingh208 : 12th March 2014 at 19:40.
Old 12th March 2014, 21:33   #477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
I have a query of my own..
Where do I find a place that serves good North style Chole Bhature near Baner?
Me too. I am yet to find a place in Pune which serves good Chole Bhature.
One place where they serve good Chole Kulcha is 'Shahjis' which is somewhere in the city. I've been there a couple of times but don't know the exact location.
Old 13th March 2014, 00:31   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I am yet to find a worthy replacement for the super Samosas at the Naaz and Mahanaaz. I so miss those.

Regarding, Vohuman cafe, is it really true that they are closing down? I had been there just 2 weeks ago.
This reminds of samosas of Green Bakery and the once served in Rahul Theatre. I do not know if they still serve it at theatre.
Old 13th March 2014, 09:52   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post
One place where they serve good Chole Kulcha is 'Shahjis' which is somewhere in the city. I've been there a couple of times but don't know the exact location.
'Shahjis' is located in Rasta Peth and also on Ghole Road, opposite Santosh Bakery. They serve some amazing paratha thalis.
Old 13th March 2014, 11:26   #480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishotmydog View Post

After our own house, next best is Wipro cafeteria, which serves good chole Bhutare, but may not be accessible to outsiders :-(

Publicly, at the start of Prabhat road, there is this place which is thronged and vouched by the locals, you can try that. But none can be compared to what you may find even on the streets of Delhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks