Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 15:35   #541
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
*BUMP*

Pretty much a regular at Shiv Sagar in JM Road these days.

The Dosa- and the Pav Bhaji's (Oh goodness! ) are as lovely as ever!

Specially the pav bhaji. It's just umm......Too good!

Planning to try out Dorabjee's shortly. For the mean Dhansak.

P.S: Karl, weren't you a regular there?
Shiv Sagar? Is it really that good? How does the Pav bhaji compare with Mayur's discussed on previous page?

BTW: Where are all the vegetarian Punekars? :P
Old 3rd August 2015, 10:31   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Mughals was started by the Chefs from Bahgban's (as far as I recall), so you may also add Baghban (just across the road) to the list.

What would you define as Mughlai cuisine?
My benchmark is the Old Delhi eating joints like Karim and AlJawahar, and few nihari and seekh kabab outlets nearby.

Nothing like those (taste-wise) I have seen in the entire India except perhaps in Lucknow and (even more perhaps) old city of Hyderabad.
You are right, my benchmark are the typical Hazratganj outlets like Dastarkhwan
Having said that, there are a few non-descript eateries around Delhi and some Dhabas across UP/Himachal/Punjab were you do strike Gold

Have yet to come across anything remotely similar in Pune
Mughals and Baghran tend to overspice/over oil their grub
Old 22nd December 2016, 11:53   #543
Senior - BHPian

I try to eat out on weekdays than on weekends. I find a lot of difference in the taste, maybe on weekends the order rush means less attention to detail. I tried these places since I last posted here:

Desi Aroma (Baner road): They added a second floor, which means less waiting. Soups were very good. Service was friendly. The place was spic n span. Food is yummy as usual. Highly recommended

Incosia (Bavdhan): Changed to Indian, Continental and Asian cuisine since our last visit. Their fish starters are awesome. They also made to order a yummy chopsuey for my younger kid who is a fussy eater. Recommended

Nebula (Bavdhan): One of the go to places for comfort food. I don’t know if it is authentic but I liked the Thai soups and Khowsuey. Especially with the crunchy fat red chillies. Worth a try.

Burger barn (Kothrud): Of late, I have had two disappointing visits here. Once they messed up the order badly and both times the food was near tasteless. Avoid.

Tertullia (Balewadi high street): Interesting place, especially with the happy hours. Food was good, though for people like me the portions seem small. They do have a good playlist. Worth a visit

Chaitanyas (Paud road): I had to try this place since they moved from what seemed an unclean kitchen earlier. Their parathas remain as heavily stuffed as before. A surprise for me was their Chinese starters. They were really well done. Recommended

Le Plaisir (Prabhat road): Decent options and well made food. A bit expensive for me, but worth a visit

Marz-o-rin (MG road): Been going here for ages. I felt their chicken sandwiches have more butter than shredded chicken. Decent enough, but they made it better earlier

Kapila kathi rolls (Dhole patil road): Decent kathi rolls, service as unfriendly as ever. Ok if you need a hot snack

Asha dining hall (Apte road, Deccan): Nice Maharasthrian thali with piping hot chapatis and tasty veggie preparations. Highly recommended

Creamstone: Found it overpriced, though the ingredients seem to be good quality. As an ice cream fan, maybe the thought of beating it beyond recognition doesn't appeal to me. May be worth a visit for kids who are on the lookout for a sugar rush.

Chinese room (Karve road): recommended starters were good. My friends tried the spare ribs and liked it. Worth a visit

A visit to Camp for lunch/ dinner is overdue (King’s/ Dorabjee) and also to stock up on essentials from the bakeries there

I am looking for a place that serves yummy grilled sandwiches. Stuffed really well. Any recommendations?

Last edited by selfdrive : 22nd December 2016 at 12:00.
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:29   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Incosia (Bavdhan): Changed to Indian, Continental and Asian cuisine since our last visit. Their fish starters are awesome. They also made to order a yummy chopsuey for my younger kid who is a fussy eater. Recommended
Seeing their good reviews, tried it out on a weekday night. However was quite disappointed with the food. Maybe because we are vegetarian (now).

Quote:
Marz-o-rin (MG road): Been going here for ages. I felt their chicken sandwiches have more butter than shredded chicken. Decent enough, but they made it better earlier
On a visit a couple of months ago, the bread actually had mold on it. On pointing it out, they simply shrugged. I dumped the sandwich and probably wont go back. Very nice childhood memories though.

Quote:
I am looking for a place that serves yummy grilled sandwiches. Stuffed really well. Any recommendations?
I keep hearing about this place "Supreme Sandwich Corner" near Tambdi Jogeshwari. Good and quite economical. Havent tried it though, but plan to very soon.

Last edited by sajo : 22nd December 2016 at 12:30. Reason: Some portion disappeared after hitting post.
Old 22nd December 2016, 12:38   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I keep hearing about this place "Supreme Sandwich Corner" near Tambdi Jogeshwari. Good and quite economical. Havent tried it though, but plan to very soon.
Not looking for those places with 'Bombay sandwich'. I would prefer non veggie sandwich options. With thickly cut french fries if possible

For the veggie grilled sandwich lovers, Ajuba (Anand juice bar) near Nal stop is a good option
Old 26th December 2016, 16:28   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Not looking for those places with 'Bombay sandwich'. I would prefer non veggie sandwich options. With thickly cut french fries if possible
I have not seen a proper sandwich house in Pune, but I like sandwiches served in most of the coffee houses like Barista, CCD and CBTL (normal sandwich plus Panini and Croissant type sandwich). I was frequent visitor to CBTL outlet in Phoenix mall till it got closed.

Is there any surviving CBTL and Gloria Jeans in Pune now? Now Starbucks outlets seem to be everywhere. Though I like there coffee, their food options are okay, not great.

For continental non-veg, my preferred location is Mad House Grill in KP. For Indian non-veg, I prefer ZKs.
Old 3rd January 2017, 16:00   #547
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Looking for places within walking distance of Pune station for good snacks - samosas, vadas and any other snacks I can pack before getting on to the train. Any recommendations?
Old 3rd January 2017, 16:07   #548
BHPian

Why not try Comesum on the station itself? I had tried it sometime back and the food quality is decent enough.
Old 3rd January 2017, 16:16   #549
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Why not try Comesum on the station itself? I had tried it sometime back and the food quality is decent enough.
Is there a place I can look at their menu? It doesn't seem to be available on their website. What kind of snacks are available there?
Old 4th January 2017, 11:16   #550
BHPian

Here is a link but I dont think they have a menu on it.

http://www.comesum.com/pune.php

You can get mostly everything there from snacks to starters. I am not completely sure if they give full meals but you can try calling them and asking for the options. If you are just looking for samosas and snacks, you will surely find it there. The best part is that this is on platform number 1 and has entry from inside and outside of the station. It is also open 24*7 AFAIK
Old 4th January 2017, 15:12   #551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Shiv Sagar? Is it really that good? How does the Pav bhaji compare with Mayur's discussed on previous page?

BTW: Where are all the vegetarian Punekars? :P
Veggie punerkars are very much here

Forget Pav Bhaji, JM Road Shiv Sagar has really gone down in over all quality since last 3 years. I skip that place these days.

My Pav Bhaji picks are
Ramkrishna (Opp Dorabjee, Camp) - Good quality-taste-quantity
Anand/Ajooba (Nal stop) - Not visited this place in past 3 years

I think Mayur serves very less quantity for the amount they charge. The ambience is also average.
Old 4th January 2017, 15:34   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
My Pav Bhaji picks are
I didnt quite like the pav bhaji at Ajuba (tried a few months ago). Grilled sandwiches are decent though. Somehow, I found it more similar to a 'puneri-udupi' place. Other disappointments include Mayur Karvenagar and Darshan at Prabhat road

The only pav bhaji I have really liked of late is Cream corner (near Blue Nile)
Old 4th January 2017, 16:35   #553
BHPian

Quote:

Try Supreme pavbhaji at canal road. That is the best so far for me. Their Pizzas are also not bad.
Old 4th January 2017, 17:15   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Try Supreme pavbhaji at canal road. That is the best so far for me. Their Pizzas are also not bad.
Have they gone in for Franchisee model now ? There is a Supreme(o>) on FC Road and one on JM road too. Okay taste, good quantity in both.

Tried ordering from Mojo Pizza , a new outlet in Bavdhan a few weeks ago. They make Pizzas in only one size, but I found them to be generous in their toppings and great taste wise too. Recommend their cheese burst kind of thing (forgot the name). They often text you some promo codes as well.

Last edited by sajo : 4th January 2017 at 17:17.
Old 4th January 2017, 17:18   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Veggie punerkars are very much here

My Pav Bhaji picks are
Quote:

Searched the thread but found no mention of "Falahaar". They serve some good Pav Bhaji & Sandwiches, apart from fruit juices and milk shakes.
They have, I guess, 3 outlets in Pune. Viman Nagar, Baner and probably Bibwewadi.

Its worth a shot. They have quite a variety of grilled sandwiches, pav bhaji and pizza, but then that's about it. Its a Veg only outlet.

Attaching the link to their menu
https://www.zomato.com/pune/falahaar...ar/menu#tabtop

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 4th January 2017 at 17:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks