Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2019, 10:17   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The water crisis in Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
In fact many are willing to pay the penalty rather than go for RWH. It is easier to convince illiterate people but not the literate bunch.

Not easy to move to the coast as well. This year Mangaluru, Udupi and surrounding areas had to ration the water. With plans to tap Sharavati, Nethravati and other rivers, it is time that the districts where these rivers flow will be affected as well.
The reason why regions with high rainfall and rivers are facing water shortages in summer is because there are no good storage facilities. Most of these places dont store enough water and depend on running rivers.
Old 3rd July 2019, 12:43   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess things have not hit too badly yet, which is why people are still unconcerned. Right now it's just 'somewhere on the horizon' for the majority of middle-class and upper in Bangalore. There are news reports of scanty rainfall for a few years in North Karnataka, there is the rising maintenance costs in apartments, there may be some partial stopping of water supply during a few hours in a day. But money is there, we can afford to pay for private tankers and drinking water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
It is easier to convince illiterate people but not the literate bunch.
You said it man! At the basins attached to the large food court we have at work, there will ALWAYS be one or two taps that people simply don't close after washing their hands after lunch. Not just dripping, but full on flow- the last user was probably just too distracted to close it or couldn't care less. Then there will be the 'perfectly groomed' guys in the washrooms who will be admiring themselves in the mirror, combing their hair, while the tap remains on in full flow after they have washed their hands.

Criminal waste!

(I grew up in East Bangalore and parts of this area have always had water issues, since the 80s, so I guess I'm a little more paranoid about being careful about not wasting water.)

I think once the scarcity situation really hits, the rate at which the situation deteriorates will be pretty sharp.

Last edited by am1m : 3rd July 2019 at 12:45.
Old 16th July 2019, 10:15   #108
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I was on the lookout for a device that can reduce the water flow in the faucets, especially the ones in wash basins and kitchen.
Most modular tap brands like Jaquar, Parryware, etc have a removable shell at the tip of the tap, once you unscrew it loose, you will find a plastic aerator that filters and controls the flow of water. You can replace the regular aerator with a water saving aerator that sprays water. These are available online also (like Eco 365 brand on Amazon which costs < Rs.150 each). I preferred to go over to the Jaquar spares store Dawn Sanitaryware (House of Lords building on St. Marks Road) and get them, each costs Rs.190.

For the kitchen however, this will be great for the rinsing use-case but may be an issue if you need to fill water, Jaquar doesn't make a dual flow controlled aerator that can be retrofitted, so I tried the Eco 365 one from Amazon that comes with a shell and a lever to select between regular flow and spray. Just need to remove the existing shell and replace with the Eco 365 one. However, since the shell was made of ABS plastic, it tends to flex a bit and was causing a fine water spray to leak out at the joint of the shell, so returned the product. Still looking for a solution for this one.

Last edited by NPV : 16th July 2019 at 10:25.
Old 11th March 2024, 11:25   #109

Bengaluru is facing a severe water crisis now and due to several factors, such as:

Lack of rainfall has caused the water levels in the Cauvery River to drop. This shortage affects both drinking water and irrigation.

Additionally, borewells in Bengaluru are drying up because of the lack of rain in recent months.

High demand and low water supply have led to a shortfall of 1,680 million liters per day. The city receives around 1,450 million liters per day of water from the Cauvery, but more is needed to meet the needs of the growing population.

High prices and scarcity of water tankers cost north of Rs.2000 per tanker, which many residents and commercial establishments use as an alternative water source.

Most high-rises and societies started advising residents to limit water usage due to scarcity.

Even my society in north Bengaluru has instructed us to use water sensibly.
Name:  Screenshot 20240311 111852.png
Views: 75
Size:  44.5 KB

A few high rises asked to use Disposable plates and wet wipes due to water shortage.https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/tr...-12405241.html

Last edited by Aditya : 21st March 2024 at 23:45. Reason: Spacing error
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks