Old 2nd July 2020, 00:50   #136

Re: Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support

Originally Posted by sudev View Post
From personal experience and learning I avoid chairs that
1. Rotate - back is stressed when you rotate top body and bottom has to follow through with added momentum of chair.
2. Lean - stiff back chairs automatically remind us to take break from sitting too long.
3. Wheels - Again upper body stresses the back to move the chair.

Had very severe back pains twenty years back. So much so that getting up from bed in morning was ten minute job due to pain. Took to using four legged stiff back chair. No problem ever since. I had mine made by a carpenter and is still in use.
sudev sir,
Thanks for the insights. I can totally connect with the points mentioned.
Would request to kindly share picture of the chair and the setup( including table if possible)
I have been using plastic nilkamal chair all through the lockdown and want to change before its too late
Old 16th July 2020, 06:42   #137

Verry late to the discussion but here goes.

So, my company is offering to get furniture to furnish a home office setup, this has naturally made me spend a lot more brain processing power on figuring out the right chair without stepping out of home. Being in bangalore with techsavvy consumers and shopkeepers id say this is relatively easy to do.

But, how the chair actually feels before i buy it is something i can't really replicate online. So, i thought to myself.. what are my requirements really ?

Listing them down here
- Ergonomic - should have basic lumbar, thigh support
- Foam should be such that doesn't give way before 5 - 6 yrs. My current chair costed me 7 k and lasted over 8 yrs.
- I should be able to comfortably sit on chair for extended periods of time. 4 hrs + at a go. Although i tend to move around every hours or so (switching the camera off between GVC's).

In my experience, the only time i have sat on a chair for hours in front of a computer or TV for extended periods of time upwards of 6 hrs or so has been gaming. The question i ask myself why not just get a gaming chair instead ?

A sober black should pass off just fine. Plus, i fulfill my childhood dream of having a gaming chair!! Wife cant complain cos my company got it. Its a win win.. however, i haven't been able to find anyone who has had experience with these chairs. Would anyone be able to guide me ?

The chair i am considering - https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog...rs/caliber-r2/ priced between 15 - 18K

Office chairs in my office - https://in.steelcase.com/collections...products/think

These are quite good. around 37K with discounts. Also, these big brands tend to have HUGE discounts going on (30 - 75%) .... just need to find them in right time.

Do advise - gaming chair or office chair ? Also, any gaming chair experience or brand alternatives would be appreciated.
Old 6th August 2020, 01:23   #138

Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am using the exact same chair at home and l am happy. My mom however, doesn't feel comfortable even at the lowest height setting. She is 5'2" and I am 5'11". Try to sample one in a store before purchasing.
I am 5'6", and its lowest height is just about fine for me, if I am not barefoot.

I am facing problem with the lower back support. The adjustable support it made of hard plastic, with no cushion. If it is kept very low, its upper edge mildly pricks the back. I don't how I missed this in the store, but now I think this is a design flaw. Also, the shape of the back is almost flat, which is unlike most good chairs (which have a bulge at the lumbar). Did you face this problem?
Old 7th August 2020, 22:35   #139

Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
I am facing problem with the lower back support. The adjustable support it made of hard plastic, with no cushion. If it is kept very low, its upper edge mildly pricks the back. I don't how I missed this in the store, but now I think this is a design flaw. Also, the shape of the back is almost flat, which is unlike most good chairs (which have a bulge at the lumbar). Did you face this problem?
I tried moving the back support up and down and didn't feel any pricks. Maybe it is an issue with the particular piece you got. After WFH for 3+ months, I do have some back pain. But, not sure if it can be attributed to this chair or the general lack of physical activity
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 14:38   #140
NPV

Folks, anyone here who is using office chairs from iSit brand ?

Appreciate any feedback from anyone using these chairs.
Old 1st September 2020, 17:45   #141

Instagram advertising is utterly hopeless at successfully targeting me: it churns up irrelevant and useless stuff. But I click on a couple of chair ads, and now I'm swamped with them.

What I notice is that a lot of manufacturers seem to be branding more-or-less the same chairs.
Old 1st September 2020, 18:36   #142
NPV

Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
This one isn't available currently.

Also, hardly any office/home office chairs from the Amazon Basics brand are listed currently, what gives ?
Imports from China affected after the COVID situation ?

This is one of the options I've shortlisted - Vision Medium Black from iSitIndia

Any other recommendations most welcome, I'm on the lookout for a simple, comfortable office chair.

Last edited by NPV : 1st September 2020 at 18:42.
Old 1st September 2020, 20:23   #143

Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This one isn't available currently.
That chair curiously has always had limited stock availability, no idea why. I bought one for myself last year, had it marked to notify me when back in stock, and got another for the better half right before lock-down.

I'd recommended it to a colleague who bought one in June/July too, so it's unpredictable.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2020, 20:31   #144

Has anyone been able to find something very similar to amazonbasics low back chair ?
Old 7th September 2020, 09:43   #145
NPV

Thanks to DBHPian @paragsachania for sharing a link about this brand called Aaram Chairs, I got the Status MB (Medium Back) Office chair.
It is priced 4999 + GST = 5988

I was using this very comfortable chair for more than 2 decades and it finally gets some rest. Couple of years ago, I got the faux leather seat top replaced and other than that it's been totally maintenance free.

Old Chair
Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-1.old.jpg

New Office chair (Status MB model)
Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-2.new-aaram-chair-status-mb.jpg

New Vs Old comparison (almost same size 500mm width)
Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-3.new-vs-old.jpg

*We have a ceramic tile floor at home, not the glossy type, it has some rustic pattern for skid protection but the office chair wheels do tend to have a little bit of roll that I'd like to address.
Was looking for a product like this Office chair mat on amazon dot com. Any suggestions ?

Last edited by NPV : 7th September 2020 at 10:00.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 12:32   #146

Originally Posted by NPV View Post
*We have a ceramic tile floor at home, not the glossy type, it has some rustic pattern for skid protection but the office chair wheels do tend to have a little bit of roll that I'd like to address.
Was looking for a product like this Office chair mat on amazon dot com. Any suggestions ?
We have the same issue. My Kid's room has ceramic flooring while the room I work from is wooden flooring and there were enough arguments between with wife where she kept insisting to pick wheel-less chairs while I kept telling her that there may not be much options to choose when it comes to chairs without wheels and they all often fall into the category of "visitor/waiting chairs", designs of which would give least importance to ergonomics.

Finally on the weekend, visited Featherlite store and placed an order for a pair of WFH chairs (Featherlite Amaze). The store was quite crowded at Millers road on a saturday evening. Expected delivery on Wednesday or Thursday.

Regarding the skidding of these chairs on glossy floors, there is a workaround but I will take my own time to digest such a DIY till I am totally convinced that the moving of chairs is not a major concern at all. So far, I have worked for one organization that never had carpet flooring and the chair with wheels did irritate me to be honest and this was in 2009-09. But I presume, new chairs may have higher rolling resistance for the caster wheels, LOL!!

You get these Chair Guides available online and even at dedicated stores on SP road who deal with caster wheels.

Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-wheel-stand.jpg

Image courtesy : Amazon seller listing

Also, it would be worth to check the fixtures on the wheels offered in these chairs. Can't just buy these guides and then realise they won't fit. Not to forget the fact that they might make the chair look ugly too.

Last edited by paragsachania : 7th September 2020 at 12:43.
paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:08   #147

Since this thread is full of sitting addicts, I'd like present these two TED videos.

Has anyone tried squatting as a working posture? How about sitting in lotus or half lotus position? How do these Indian classical singers sit for hours on floor without back support?

New trends: https://smallbusiness.com/employees/...at-work-trend/

The guy in the above is making couple mistakes though. He is supporting his back on the wall and his feet are not flat.

I already have bad back since I was diagnosed with multiple disk bulges. I got it because of bad seating position at work rather than by doing some dangerous fitness/martial-art stunt. Feels so dumb after being life-long fitness freak.

I am seriously considering options to switch from a chair to a squatting/lotus position that can improve my back while working. WFH really opens up such options which would be impossible to consider in an office.

Last edited by Samurai : 14th September 2020 at 10:11.
Samurai is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 10:52   #148

Ok... I had a strange conversation with my mom just after posting about squatting position.

Me: Amma, did you know that the latest research shows that squatting is the best position of the spinal health? Sitting on chair is actually bad for the back.
Mom: Yeah, that is how we used to work in my younger days. Squatting while cooking or washing dishes and clothes, squatting while eating, pooping, everything. We used to either sit on our butt or feet depending on the wetness of the surface. Sit on feet if the surface is wet, on the butt if the ground was dry.
Me: It is easy to work when you sit like that for prolonged time?
Mom: We can get up every 20-30 minutes when legs get numb. In fact, once when I was pregnant I washed two loads of clothes in squatting position, and I developed a back ache.
Me: Whoa... what happened then?
Mom: We went to the hospital and that night I delivered you.
Me:

So the back ache had nothing to do with squatting position, it was labour pain. And squatting is safe enough for a 9 month pregnant woman. Damn!

I wonder how much of old wisdom we have been losing...

Last edited by Samurai : 14th September 2020 at 11:31.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:14   #149

the latest research shows that squatting is the best position of the spinal health?

I wonder how much of old wisdom we have been losing...
Even today, most people from the farming community here in Punjab will sit like this by default, the younger generation too.
Turbanator is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2020, 11:23   #150

Has anyone tried squatting as a working posture? How do these Indian classical singers sit for hours on floor without back support?
I already have bad back since I was diagnosed with multiple disk bulges. I got it because of bad seating position at work rather than by doing some dangerous fitness/martial-art stunt. Feels so dumb after being life-long fitness freak.
I have had the same back pain issues due to bad sitting posture for years, and now I ensure proper posture and a standing work desk, intermittently with sitting on a chair. Standing and working is definitely a good practice. Alternating between sitting and standing proves helpful, in my experience.

Squatting and working for extended periods however is a new concept to me - would this not place tremendous strain on your knees/joints, especially once you are past your twenties and the body naturally begins to deteriorate? Indian classical musicians generally sit cross legged on the floor, not in squatting position. I have personally learnt and practiced Indian classical music for many years (when much younger, of course) and sitting cross legged while playing an instrument or singing is pretty comfortable, even for extended hours.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 14th September 2020 at 11:25.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks