Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2017, 11:52   #31
BHPian

Re: Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBR_SHR View Post
My workplace uses Herman Miller Mirra2. Pretty good. No headrest though.
I am quite surprised by the fact that almost all the chairs mentioned in this thread have seat cushioning with foam except this one. But for a chair without foam, the reviews I have heard are actually very positive. Ergonomics clearly wins over the material usage here. But even without foam, the chair is priced quite high (Rs. 92k).

Suggest this one over Miira for it uses foam and is priced lower. Also i know for a fact that this one of the oldest Herman Miller chair models still in production. Have also seen the seat cushion, it is BIG! when compared to the usual office chairs. So, one has more real estate at the disposal.

http://www.store.hermanmiller.in/pro...-10981538.aspx
Old 16th June 2017, 17:52   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the continuing advice, guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If buying a Herman Miller chair, do also take note that they come in different sizes.
Will do. Good tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper_711 View Post
Not a fan- there are many many products from great companies at various price points - I have sent you a PM if you need to discuss in depth.
Much appreciated. But let's continue here? A PM helps one person, a public post helps thousands .

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
Suggest this one over Miira
Will check out.
Old 16th June 2017, 19:10   #33
BHPian

While Herman Miller Aeron is the gold standard, some floors in my office also have the Haworth Zody (which is also in the same league).

It is infinitely adjustable and is delightful to use once you get all the 10 different knobs and levers right.
Old 17th June 2017, 12:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k88k View Post
I am quite surprised by the fact that almost all the chairs mentioned in this thread have seat cushioning with foam except this one. But for a chair without foam, the reviews I have heard are actually very positive. Ergonomics clearly wins over the material usage here. But even without foam, the chair is priced quite high (Rs. 92k).
The USP of Mirra 2 is not having a foam cushion. It keeps your bottom much more cooler literally.
Old 18th June 2017, 03:41   #35
BHPian

On a lighter note nothing beats this customized piece of art
Attached Thumbnails
Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-dcjam_yvyaaairg.jpg  

spookey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2017, 08:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My sister is big on standing + working. She's been talking about standing desks since quite a while, but it's not something I'm interested in.
As a watchkeeping officer I spent 8 hours a day standing and looking out of the window. We are required to keep the watch standing. There is only one chair on the bridge of the ship (Known as the Captains Chair) and it was strictly forbidden to sit on it. I got so used to working standing that even after becoming Captain, I hardly ever sit on the Captains chair. Standing and working is actually nice. However not recommended if your job involves working on a computer.

Let me give you a slightly different suggestion. Why don't you check out some old traditional house chairs. Some of them are really comfortable. I am in the process of looking out for one for my study at home.
Old 14th August 2017, 09:55   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just wanted to update that I bought the Herman Miller Aeron. Thanks to all for the wonderful suggestions .

Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support-chair.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 14:08   #38
BHPian

Hi Friends,

Even I am looking for a ergonomically designed chair for home office. Herman Miller is way too costly for me. At max., my budget is INR 10K.

I normally work from home and therefore spend long hours on a chair. Of late, I feel pain in my left buttock, left thigh and left knee. Pain goes away on weekends and then starts back by Monday evening or Tuesday morning.

Please suggest any good options.

Thanks.... Vikas
Old 28th August 2017, 08:48   #39
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikasshu View Post
I am looking for a ergonomically designed chair for home office. Herman Miller is way too costly for me. At max., my budget is INR 10K.
Check out the high back one here. Moderator Samurai is using one since almost a decade & swears by it.
Old 28th August 2017, 09:53   #40
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted to update that I bought the Herman Miller Aeron.
Great choice, can you share details of pricing and where you bought it from ?

We had a few of these Herman Miller chairs in some cabins of our office at an earlier job (a decade ago) and they were extremely comfortable and never caused back pain despite using them for long hours.
Old 29th August 2017, 10:11   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
can you share details of pricing and where you bought it from ?
Bought it from their online store (link), threw in some add-ons like 'posture fit' and closed at ~90k (all inclusive).

Quote:
they were extremely comfortable and never caused back pain despite using them for long hours.
Yeah, it's damn good. Anything that helps me work better, I see as an investment (not expense).
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2017, 19:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Check out the high back one here. Moderator Samurai is using one since almost a decade & swears by it.
Thank you so much GTO. I think this one should meet my criteria. I would like try it out and therefore want to visit their brick & mortar store in Delhi.

Thanks again.... Vikas
Old 18th June 2018, 11:10   #43
Team-BHP Support

Well, looks like I'll need a new office chair. I was diagnosed with a multiple disc bulges last month. One of the things my doctor told me is to identify what caused it, and then eliminate it.

After spending days thinking about everything I do on a regular basis, I have finally concluded that it must be my seating position, in which I spend at least 12-14 hours a day. I have the habit of tilting the seat all the way back while working. Although my featherlite contact seat has been very comfortable, I have noticed that it doesn't keep my spine in the most optimal position. Since it has fabric back support, it takes the shape of my spine, rather than shape my spine. In other words, it adjusts to the contours on my spine. I have been experimenting with various lumbar support pillows, and even stuff like this. But nothing is really working out, instead I am developing neck pain from all these experiments. My original position is comfortable, but that might aggravate the condition. I don't want to progress from bulged disc to a herniated disc.

Looks like I have to upgrade to an office chair with adjustable lumbar support with a firm back, rather than a fabric back. What are the office chair choices for folks with bulged/herniated disc?

If I am sticking with featherlite, this pinnacle model appears to be the only choice. It is bit of take it or leave it choice.

The only other choice is Herman Miller Aeron Task Chair. The store has only a default configuration. Is it possible to configure exactly what I want using this configurator?

Since I work in two locations on 50:50 basis, I'll have to buy two chairs. Is Herman Miller Aeron really so much superior to Pinnacle?
Old 18th June 2018, 12:51   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

From personal experience and learning I avoid chairs that
1. Rotate - back is stressed when you rotate top body and bottom has to follow through with added momentum of chair.
2. Lean - stiff back chairs automatically remind us to take break from sitting too long.
3. Wheels - Again upper body stresses the back to move the chair.

Had very severe back pains twenty years back. So much so that getting up from bed in morning was ten minute job due to pain. Took to using four legged stiff back chair. No problem ever since. I had mine made by a carpenter and is still in use.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2018, 13:07   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
From personal experience and learning I avoid chairs that. 2. Lean - stiff back chairs automatically remind us to take break from sitting too long. Took to using four legged stiff back chair. No problem ever since.
Strongly agree. As I mentioned in the first page of this thread. With stiff back seat, you will always have the right posture.

Quote:
1. Rotate - back is stressed when you rotate top body and bottom has to follow through with added momentum of chair.
3. Wheels - Again upper body stresses the back to move the chair.
It's OK to have these as long as you use them for only for convenience of sitting on the chair or getting out of the chair. If you skip these two, you will only find cheap low quality chairs. Or it needs to be custom made like you have done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks