Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2006, 21:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Credit card menace

Guys,
We all get calls from various credit card companies asking various sorts of questions. Even if we are not interested, they still ask various irritating questions. In my case, i used to cut the call. They don't seem to bother anyway. Some times i feel i was too rude.
So is there any ruder way to cut the call?
What do you guys do?
Infact i have a card and i had to follow it up with the banks fellas to issue me one!!
Regards,
Mahesh.
Old 11th November 2006, 22:19   #2
Team-BHP Support

If you have the time, call back and ask them irritating questions
Or when they call ask embarrassing questions about deodrant or something worse - after they called you unsolicited!
Old 11th November 2006, 22:36   #3
BHPian

Apparently, it is mandatory for every bank to have a procedure to allow a person to state that he would not like to be contacted. Here's the link for ICICI http://www.icicibank.com/pfsuser/donotcall.htm
I am sure every bank will have something similar. violations of this can perhaps be handled legally. I am not sure but it is something to start on...Hope this helps.
Old 11th November 2006, 22:49   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
Or when they call ask embarrassing questions about deodrant or something worse - after they called you unsolicited!
that or you can try selling them something. i tried selling one such person a tachometer, he hung up stating some stupid reason.
Old 12th November 2006, 01:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well i used get a lot of calls. What i used too do was as soon as lady / guy used to speak "That sir i am calling from ICICI bank i have some blal blah i need to talk about" i used to say i am not interested. She used to say "sir you have not listened to what i am selling" and i used to say i am not interested even if you r giving me free 1 lac bucks and please dont call me again. Though this stopped a lot of calls but the problem didnt went away.

So i thought a little and got a very good idea. When a call came to and the lady said sir are you interested in free life time credit card i told her mam are you interested because i also deal in the same.. and calls stopped coming. Now i dont even get a single call from these chaps...

Try it..
Old 12th November 2006, 02:07   #6
Senior - BHPian

All the people that make these calls do that for their livelihood. They don't call to disturb us and have fun. They earn their meal just because they are calling us. Atleast due to this reason we should be polite to them. Just say "I am in the middle of the meeting" or "I am busy right now.". Don't you think we are hurting them with our stupid and funny answers.

One thing that irritates me though is when we answer their call, they don't ask if we are busy or have some time for them. They start with "What credit card do you have?" This is really frustating when you are in the middle of a serious meeting and have to walk out to answer the call.
Old 12th November 2006, 07:15   #7
BHPian

Use the Seinfeld method :P.

Seinfeld: Why don't you give me your number and I will call you back

Operator: No.

Seinfeld: You don't like people calling you at home?

Operator: No

Seinfeld: Neither do I.

*slams the phone*.
Old 12th November 2006, 10:29   #8
rkg
Senior - BHPian

ICICI, citi,HDFC and other new gen private banks are the biggets culprits here. they sell your data to these firms and other banks for money. u know my brother has citi salary a/c. he applied for home laon from ABN AMRO. citi gave my brother bank statement to ABN amro without even asking for my brother consent. ICICI gives your bank balance to these guys they call u and tell u this much balance is there in a/c why dont you take so and so policy or invest in so and so mutual funds etc. once i got a call on my mobile from ICICI stating thet some XYZ with similar surname as mine gave me as reference while taking theior credit card and he has defaulted now and i have to pay. i told them i dont know such a guy. they persisted that he is my relative. i said nothing doing. then they sent a person to my home. and keep on calling me on mobile. i asked when the guy has taken the card. it was much before i took the mobile connection from BSNL. as i have availed a home loan form ICICI i gave my mobile no to ICICI home laon section. then ICICI credit card section imm started calling me asking the default by soem unknow guy. as icici has my residential address also they send guys to my home also. i said iam going to lodge a criminal case against ICICI then they stopped the calling me.
i read last week some consumers of ICICI have started webpage to group all complaninst against ICICI

Last edited by rkg : 12th November 2006 at 10:31.
Old 12th November 2006, 11:25   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
All the people that make these calls do that for their livelihood. They don't call to disturb us and have fun. They earn their meal just because they are calling us. ................ This is really frustating when you are in the middle of a serious meeting and have to walk out to answer the call.
So can assassins, crooks, real estate salemen, ad men, dumb managers justify their livelihood ?
Old 12th November 2006, 14:01   #10
Senior - BHPian

mm thanks people...now i have some options to try out. most important is save time over the phone also to keep them away. Those who want to take credit cards will anyway do so and its upto the customer to choose which one. There is no use of continous bugging!! I have seen many of my friends being too polite, giving so many reasons saying i don't want your credit card. and these agents are well trained to handle those silly reasons which we think are good enough!! they will spend atleast 5 mins arguing over the phone. Many agents will try through a company extention at random not knowing whom they are speaking to!!...very innovative these guys!!
Old 14th November 2006, 02:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Is there anything like a 'Do not call ' list? In the US, there's a website, where people can register their home phone numbers, so that they stop receiving courtesy calls/ calls regarding promotional offers..
Old 14th November 2006, 03:18   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
or just plainly ask them not to call your number again. it has worked a couple of times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin
Is there anything like a 'Do not call ' list? In the US, there's a website, where people can register their home phone numbers, so that they stop receiving courtesy calls/ calls regarding promotional offers..
the National Do Not Call Registry isn't a fool proof method of avoiding marketing phone calls though it does reduce the volume by a certain degree.

when you register on a website and have to enter your personal details (address, phone number, etc.), usually, there is an option where you can opt-out from receiving marketing offers via email, snail mail or telephone. make sure you check for it.
Old 14th November 2006, 10:57   #13
BHPian

the simple way is just say them i already have the same credit card, thank you.. that ends it..
Old 30th November 2006, 19:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani View Post
All the people that make these calls do that for their livelihood. They don't call to disturb us and have fun. They earn their meal just because they are calling us. Atleast due to this reason we should be polite to them. Just say "I am in the middle of the meeting" or "I am busy right now.". Don't you think we are hurting them with our stupid and funny answers.

One thing that irritates me though is when we answer their call, they don't ask if we are busy or have some time for them. They start with "What credit card do you have?" This is really frustating when you are in the middle of a serious meeting and have to walk out to answer the call.
Sathish, I really like the way you looked at them.

A friend of mine says in any situation " just imagine how you would like to be treated if your'e in their position & give such treatment to them"

For me thats a brilliant statement. There is no point in hurting them (so they not going to) & making fun with them.

I always say " Sorry Sir/Maam, Iam not interested". 99% will cut the line, if someone continues talking, I will put down the call with "thanks".
Old 1st December 2006, 02:29   #15

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

when some guy calls me and offers me home loans,credit cards...i just tell them that "i'm a student",they immediately thank me and keep the phone down.its the best reply.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks