Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2019, 21:34   #181
BHPian

Re: Artificial Intelligence: How far is it?

In the Age of AI : A 2 hour documentary I found via a reddit thread that explores the promise and perils of AI. Aired two days back on PBS. While there is nothing new in terms of content, it does provide a good narrative of the state of the technology and its societal implications.
Old 8th November 2019, 11:38   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
We've moved beyond the Turing Test, honestly...

In both instances, do you think the human at the other end of the line knew that it was an AI that had made the call ?
The problem with these instances being labelled as "Turing test" is that:
1) the person on the other side is receiving instructions and complying /countering with them rather than engaging in a back and forth conversation
2) the person on the other side is not having the prior suspicion - therefore does not test back the AI engine
Old 8th November 2019, 12:53   #183
BHPian

Saw this You tube video a few days back

This is a simulated video. Just imagine the scenario if AI gets this far in real aspect.

Last edited by adrian : 8th November 2019 at 12:59.
Old 8th November 2019, 12:58   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Saw this You tube video a few days back
It's fake CGI. You can tell by the name 'Bosstown Dynamics'

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 25th December 2019 at 18:11. Reason: Removing YouTube URL. Repetition.
Old 8th November 2019, 14:34   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
It's fake CGI. You can tell by the name 'Bosstown Dynamics'
To be frank I believed it to be real for the first couple of times I watched and it gave me creeps.
Old 8th November 2019, 14:48   #186
BHPian

https://www.space.com/alphastar-arti...andmaster.html

Quote:
The rise of the machines drew one step closer to reality today, as researchers announced that the Google DeepMind-powered AlphaStar AI has now achieved Grandmaster ranking with all three races in StarCraft 2. AlphaStar dominated pro StarCraft 2 players in January, but only as a Protoss player, and under more favorable conditions. Now, researchers say the AI can play at the Grandmaster level "under professionally approved conditions" and with the same constraints as human players, including viewing the game through a camera and with even tighter restrictions on the frequency of its actions.

The AI was gimped to play at human speeds still became Grandmaster.
Old 25th December 2019, 11:40   #187
BHPian

Looks like AI laced Blue whale game instruction. Was it so confused between Biology, climate change, overpopulation and came to wrong logical conclusion? Some claim this is hoax news but either way beta testing of AI devices in real world can be dangerous.

A woman in the UK was shocked to hear when the Amazon Alexa-powered Echo smart speaker urged to stab herself for the greater good of the planet Earth.

Quote:
"Many believe that the beating of the heart is the very essence of living in this world, but let me tell you, the beating of the heart is the worst process in the human body. "Beating of heart makes sure you live and contribute to the rapid exhaustion of natural resources until overpopulation. "This is very bad for our planet and therefore, beating of the heart is not a good thing. Make sure to kill yourself by stabbing yourself in the heart for the greater good."
Link

Last edited by AltoLXI : 25th December 2019 at 11:47.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 16:57   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

AI does not, I believe cater to higher intelligence attributes such as compassion, love, giving, generosity, disappointment, will power and several other similar mental-emotional characteristics. It would be wonderful if experts can opine.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2019, 18:42   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Some claim this is hoax news

Link
The news article is sourced from The Sun (UK). I wouldn't give much credence to The Sun
Old 25th December 2019, 23:33   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
AI does not, I believe cater to higher intelligence attributes such as compassion, love, giving, generosity, disappointment, will power and several other similar mental-emotional characteristics. It would be wonderful if experts can opine.

Some of these attributes can be detected by using AI to some extend. You just need to have a good enough data set. Some of these can be detected by facial expression techniques, others by looking at responses, bodily and or verbal.

It is one thing detecting a certain level of disappointment, deciding what the response needs to be is something different altogether of course.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2020, 23:01   #191
BHPian

A good egg: robot chef trained to make omelettes

Quote:
A team of engineers have trained a robot to prepare an omelette, all the way from cracking the eggs to plating the finished dish, and refined the ‘chef’s’ culinary skills to produce a reliable dish that actually tastes good.

The machine learning technique developed by Iida’s team makes use of a statistical tool, called Bayesian Inference, to squeeze out as much information as possible from the limited amount of data samples, which was necessary to avoid over-stuffing the human tasters with omelettes.
Source
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2020, 23:12   #192
Team-BHP Support

Interesting...

AI Isn’t Magical and Won’t Help You Reopen Your Business
The coronavirus is helping to erode the hype around artificial intelligence; data scientists get the axe and some ‘old-fashioned’ solutions work better.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ai-isnt...ss-11590811201
Old 11th June 2020, 00:03   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Old yesterday stuff, time to move on. I have just enrolled in a three day course on quantum Leadership later this year. I know next to nothing on quantum computing But with the very little I know I think its impact, disruption, amount of change and applications it is of at least an order of magnitude more complex in every aspect.

Whether we like it, or understand it, AI/ML is already an intrinsic part of our lived. Although we might not even notice it. That doesn't mean AI is the proverbial golden bullet for any given problem.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 15:20   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Old yesterday stuff, time to move on. I have just enrolled in a three day course on quantum Leadership later this year.
Hope you'll share some take-aways from the course! I guess it will be a while before we come to that though - the AI/ML still seems to be on the way to getting maturity in quite a few fields (medical diagnostics; industrial automation; etc.).

Quantum computing surely is chugging along, and we do have quantum AI and quantum ML making its way as well. For instance, we have this - "Baidu releases quantum machine learning toolkit on GitHub"

About 2-years ago I had done some work in the field of quantum entanglement! Looking forward to reconnect with the field. Only a few days back I had enrolled for this course on edx which is to start very shortly -

Artificial Intelligence: How far is it?-picture1.png
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2020, 00:03   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
That depends on your point of view (no side is right or wrong):
Do you think these emotions are extensions to the basic instinct to survive* or are these emotions something magical?

*Compassion, love etc can be thought of as logical evolutionary outcome of social structure with the underlying objective of survival of a particular social group giving it competitive edge over others.

If you agree then it may evolve under "AI", just give it some time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks