Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2017, 14:09   #1
BHPian

The Big Money Fight! Mayweather vs McGregor boxing match

I tried searching for a thread on the same but did not exist hence starting a new thread.

Woke up early in the morning to catch the so called Fight of the Century between Floyd "Money" Mayweather and Conor McGregor. It was supposed to be a one of a kind fight with McGregor challenging Mayweather to a fight which in a sport that was different than what he competes in.

So the match was not supposed to be telecast in India, only Veqta sports had the right to stream the same.

I got up, with a mind to download the app and pay the Rs 99/- subscription fee to watch the fight. Somehow was not able to sign up and blamed it on my internet connection.

Opened twitter and saw this :
The Big Money Fight! Mayweather vs McGregor boxing match-veqta-1.png

Ended up watching the fight on an illegal stream, which turned out to be quite well and saved me Rs 99

Coming to the fight, most of the people had written off McGregor before the fight and were of the opinion that he won't be able to survive the first round.

To everyone's surprise, he started quite well in the first three rounds, and landed quite a few punches with the highlight being a left uppercut.

But it became quite clear that Mayweather was only measuring his opponent, and as McGregor started to tire out , Mayweather unleashed quite a flurry of straight rights to his face.

In the 10th round the referee had to stop the fight via and declare Mayweather a winner by technical knockout since McGregor was not defending himself and nor was he landing any punches.

So the Fight of the Century, although did not live up to the hype that would've been had there been 2 professional boxers, but it did throw up quite an intriguing contest, all due to the heart shown by Conor.

Even when the fight ended, the words that came out of McGregor's mouth were : "I'm still standing"

A true champion display from both the fighters!
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 14:43   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Big Money Fight! Mayweather vs McGregor boxing match

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Even when the fight ended, the words that came out of McGregor's mouth were : "I'm still standing"
The fight was good and a good display by Connor in his first professional boxing fight.

Mayweather was playing as per plan and was not worse for wear at the end of it.

I feel Connor should have kept his mouth shut about the "I'm still standing" bit as if the referee would not have stopped the fight he would have been knocked out for sure. He could barely stand and a couple more hits would have finished him off. The referee did his job perfectly and saved him in the bargain.

Cheers
Old 27th August 2017, 14:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
I feel Connor should have kept his mouth shut about the "I'm still standing" bit as if the referee would not have stopped the fight he would have been knocked out for sure. He could barely stand and a couple more hits would have finished him off. The referee did his job perfectly and saved him in the bargain.

Cheers
Agree with that, infact the way Mayweather was going, he would have knocked him out cold for good. The referee saw that he wasn't defending himself and neither was he attacking, hence stopped it, which was, as you said, perfectly done by the referee.
Old 27th August 2017, 16:50   #4
BHPian

I really didn't expect McG to last that long. It was his first professional bout with unarguably the best boxer in the world at present and of this era and he lasted 10 rounds. Well, total respect for that.

McG started fading after the 7th round and that's when Floyd took advantage and turned the tides around. If this went to the judges, the result would have been a very close call.

A good fight, but nevertheless, lots of money and power splurged. 700 million dollars!

I wonder if Floyd will ever come into the cage with McG ever. Now, that'll be something, won't it?
Old 27th August 2017, 19:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Honestly if you watch the post-match press conference, Conor elaborates a little more on the "I'm still standing" part. He first lets everyone know that he thinks the referee did a helluva job and congratulates Floyd on being a strong, composed champion fighter, but he also talks a lot about how he gets similarly fatigued in the training camps as well after the 6/7th round and gets the will back to fight after the 10th. While it was clear that Floyd was in his zone and could not be won against by Conor, we'll never know if he actually would have been dropped to the floor or lasted all 12 rounds. Being a Conor fan, I can tell you that he has never been someone to fight for more than 8-10 minutes. Infact this was the longest fight in his career ever. Even if one watches his second fight against Nate Diaz which went the distance and was won by Conor by majority decision, you will notice that Conor gets extremely woozy and tired somewhere in the middle but towards the end, finds the strength again to get back into the game. That's just the kind of guy he is; he's full of heart and confidence and sometimes miracles are achieved just by a combination of those two attributes.

All in all and impressive fight, proud that Conor even won 4 rounds, first 3 and then he pulled one round out of no where in the 8th round. Goes to show that he just might have been able to hold his own and see the fight to the finish.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2017, 21:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

The state Connor was in, it's impossible he would have made it thru round 10. There was time left in round 10 and there was no way he could have seen it thru in that condition as he would not have got a breather.

What you say could, maybe could have been possible had he been literally saved by the bell, if you know what I mean and got a chance to rest.

Cheers
Old 28th August 2017, 08:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Not a great boxing follower but didnt you guys feel the match was very unengaging? The outcome was very much evident since round 1. The Floyd strategy was clear since round 1 and Conner was visibly out of place with no defence strategy when Floyd came walking at him.
Old 28th August 2017, 14:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Big Money Fight! Mayweather vs McGregor boxing match

Quote:
What you say could, maybe could have been possible had he been literally saved by the bell, if you know what I mean and got a chance to rest.
That's kind of what happened at the end of the 9th round!
Old 28th August 2017, 15:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
I wonder if Floyd will ever come into the cage with McG ever. Now, that'll be something, won't it?
Never.

50-0
Will retire on top of his game.

He answered all the speculators who were going gaga about the fact that MMA fighters could possibly take on boxers.

If you guys follow UFC, remember the first fight McGreggor had with Nate Diaz. Nate is a boxer who moved into Jiu Jitsu (only to have the submission game in his arsenal). McGreggor couldn't take the blows from Nate and got knocked out and eventually trapped in a submission. Next time they met they fought the entire length, and the result was a split decision in favor of McGreggor. McGreggor punches are not hard enough to knock a seasoned boxer down, nor can he last past Round 5 (Max for UFC).

Respect Mc Gregor to challenge.

Too bag all the trash talking didn't pay off.
Old 28th August 2017, 15:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
If you guys follow UFC, remember the first fight McGreggor had with Nate Diaz. Nate is a boxer who moved into Jiu Jitsu (only to have the submission game in his arsenal). McGreggor couldn't take the blows from Nate and got knocked out and eventually trapped in a submission. Next time they met they fought the entire length, and the result was a split decision in favor of McGreggor. McGreggor punches are not hard enough to knock a seasoned boxer down, nor can he last past Round 5 (Max for UFC).
That's actually false McGregor has one of the highest punching powers in his weight category. Most of his wins (86%) are by KO/TKO. Even Paul openly stated he was impressed by his force per punch. He lost his 1st fight with Nate Diaz because Diaz is a bigger guy and if you notice carefully, it all ended when Conor went for a take down. That was Conor's critical mistake; that he let Nate Diaz take him down. Conor should not have taken the fight down low because he has always been at his best as a stand up fighter, which is something he learned and thus won the 2nd fight due to. The issue Conor had in boxing is that boxing gloves out damp punching force in comparison to what they use in MMA. It is more difficult to break the guard in Boxing. Conor has zero defensive technique which is very important in Boxing to understand because that is what allows you to go the distance and not get fatigued (not only to practice defensive technique but also to help not waste energy on punches to the glove), that coupled with that fact that Conor has never been able to take as much as he deals out, sealed his loss.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 28th August 2017 at 15:50.
IshaanIan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 16:10   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by discobiscuit View Post
He answered all the speculators who were going gaga about the fact that MMA fighters could possibly take on boxers.
Hang on a second...

McGregor would probably kill Mayweather in the Octagon.

But in the boxing ring there's so many rules and limitations, you really can't call that a comparison of their skills/capabilities.

The statment you quoted needs some context. Are we talking boxing, MMA or street fight?

And to answer the original quote, the fact that he lasted 10 rounds (way more than the average Mayweather opponent) does in fact prove that MMA fighters can take on boxers in the boxing ring.

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th August 2017 at 16:12.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 16:30   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The statement you quoted needs some context. Are we talking boxing, MMA or street fight?
Sorry for the confusion. I meant to say an MMA fighter challenging a Boxer in a Boxing ring with all Boxing rules applied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
And to answer the original quote, the fact that he lasted 10 rounds (way more than the average Mayweather opponent) does in fact prove that MMA fighters can take on boxers in the boxing ring.
Most of Mayweathers previous fights went the whole distance of 12 Rounds. Maybe 1 or 2 KO or TKO (Last I think was Ortiz 2011) in the past 15 odd years (not including the one from yesterday). It is the style he fights in. Very defensive and only counters without being the aggressor. Most of the past fights were unanimous decisions expecting a few here and there

Last edited by discobiscuit : 28th August 2017 at 16:38.
Old 28th August 2017, 17:45   #13
BHPian

The Notorious did not prepare well for the resets resulting out of clinches. He himself mentioned all the good work was getting nullified by those resets. McG was good for only 3 rounds (one judge just gave him 1 round). After that it was the Money Train all the way.
Old 28th August 2017, 18:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Connor came into the boxing ring fully aware of all the rules and regulations he would have to adhere to. I guess the nearly 100 million dollar payout would have something to do with it . No gun was pointed to his head.

He came over confident and brash that he could handle it. He was wrong and got taken out! Simple, really.

Forget everything guys, all the excuses, he has never fought in a ring, boxing rules etc etc etc. Main thing in a fight is fitness, he lost because he was not fit enough. Think about it, he was tired and could not go the distance. Simply saying or making excuses like "I get floppy when I am tired and then go on" does not cut it folks. Like Rehaan pointed out a few posts back, the bell saved him in the 9th round as well. This time his luck ran out (read as could not get rest) and the referee saved him from being knocked out.

Mayweather had it figured out - he out thought and defeated a guy who was over confident.

Cheers
Old 29th August 2017, 11:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Connor came into the boxing ring fully aware of all the rules and regulations he would have to adhere to. I guess the nearly 100 million dollar payout would have something to do with it . No gun was pointed to his head.

He came over confident and brash that he could handle it. He was wrong and got taken out! Simple, really.

Forget everything guys, all the excuses, he has never fought in a ring, boxing rules etc etc etc. Main thing in a fight is fitness, he lost because he was not fit enough. Think about it, he was tired and could not go the distance. Simply saying or making excuses like "I get floppy when I am tired and then go on" does not cut it folks. Like Rehaan pointed out a few posts back, the bell saved him in the 9th round as well. This time his luck ran out (read as could not get rest) and the referee saved him from being knocked out.

Mayweather had it figured out - he out thought and defeated a guy who was over confident.

Cheers
Absolutely agree.
Round 9 onwards it appeared as if Mayweather was just toying with him.

McGregor's arrogance was reaching the sky (if not the stars), and it was good that someone (a retired guy) put him in his place.

Sometime back, he called out the entire roster of WWE.
WWE wrestlers (even though it is scripted) are serious athletes, not jokers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks