Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2017, 10:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Progressive Rock, Fusion, Avant Garde & Experimental Music Recommendations

Some recommendations from me in an era spans the '60s to the '90s:

a) Steely Dan - Jazz/Rock, their album Gaucho is remarkable
b) Booker T & the MGs - Jazz/Rock, Soul with the Hammond organ. Listen to their track Melting Pot. It makes you tap your feet and get moving.
c) Chicago - Pop/Rock
d) Fleetwood Mac - Pop/Rock
e) Genesis - Rock
f) Electric Light Orchestra - Rock
g) Alan Parsons Project - Pop/Rock
h) Van Halen - Rock
i) Scorpions - Rock/hard rock
j) Foreigner - Pop/Rock
k) Toto - Pop/Rock
l) Asia - Rock
m) REO Speedwagon - Rock
n) Ambrosia - Rock
o) Deodato - Jazz Fusion

Other than some bands listed in previous posts I have been listening to these bands from childhood right through to college and into adulthood. There are many more I can't recall at this time and they'll be appended to this thread when I remember.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 09:42   #17
BHPian

Finally its here. Thanks Raaj for the compilation. Wondering if you also have a compilation for some good road trip songs like Born to be wild, Highway to hell, Sultans of Sing kind of stuff.
nixie89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2019, 12:27   #18
BHPian

Funkadelic's Maggot Brain is one of the greatest guitar songs ever written and performed. Its composed and played by Eddie Hazel in 1971. Enjoy this awesome psychedelic masterpiece.

Regards, Raaj

Old 16th February 2019, 12:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie89 View Post
Finally its here. Thanks Raaj for the compilation. Wondering if you also have a compilation for some good road trip songs like Born to be wild, Highway to hell, Sultans of Sing kind of stuff.
Am sorry for the late reply. You may try the soundtrack of Easy Rider. One of my favorite road songs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy_Rider_(soundtrack)

You may also try Iron Man 2 soundtrack.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th February 2019 at 14:09. Reason: Addl. Spacing
Old 17th February 2019, 08:05   #20
BHPian

Started my day with Miles Davis - Bitches Brew album (1970). Though, I've been listening to it for the last 25 years, this album never sieze to amaze me. It features stalwart jazz musicians including John McLaughlin, Wayne Shorter, Chick Corea, Joe Zewinful, Billy Cobham etc. IMHO, A definitive fusion album. Enjoy, Raaj.

Old 17th February 2019, 10:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa that’s quite a thread you’ve compiled there, Wildy! Kudos.

I wont pretend to be a proghead though i have friends who are steeped in the genre. Yes, ELP, Genesis, King Crimson are the stuff I have tried- and moved on. Only one band stuck...Rush. Am surprised they don’t feature in your recommendation list at all. The Canadian prog rock trio are one of my favourite bands ever. If I could play one Alex Lifeson solo before i die, I’d consider it a life well led!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 09:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Whoa that’s quite a thread you’ve compiled there, Wildy! Kudos.

Only one band stuck...Rush. Am surprised they don’t feature in your recommendation list at all.
Thanks very much noopster for your kind comments and encouragement.

As I mentioned in the post number 3 of this thread, this was purely on the basis of my experiments and my listening experience. I admit, many other bands also missing in my recommendation list along with Rush. For some strange reason, I never liked Rush no matter how hard I tried to listen to them many times. May be I should focus on their music again.

Please feel free to recommend the albums that you liked in this thread and that would be helpful for many others as well.
Old 18th February 2019, 11:07   #23
BHPian

"Love Supreme" is considered as one of the greatest masterpieces written by saxophonist John Coltrane in 1964.

In 1972, John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana adopted this song and arranged for dual guitar execution for their collaborative album "Love, Devotion, Surrender". IMHO, One of the greatest guitar fusion albums ever with all-star ensemble featuring the band members of Santana and Mahavishnu Orchestra. Enjoy.

Old 18th February 2019, 11:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for thread.
Never got into this genre of Progressive, but this thread should be an eye-opener.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2019, 14:20   #25
Team-BHP Support

Yes, Genesis & King Crimson - the unholy trinity of prog-rock - were some of the band's I'd discovered about 8 years ago for the first time and I've been listening to them ever since. King Crimson in particular have composed some seriously incredible music.

To this day, I still cannot get the tune of Yes' "Starship Trooper" out of my head!

Amongst modern bands, there aren't too many I can name other than perhaps Porcupine Tree and Tool.

Steven Wilson is currently pursuing his solo career and somehow his solo-work hasn't hooked me in the same way Porcupine Tree has.

Dream Theatre and Opeth are also notable, and extremely technical in their approach.

I cannot wait for Tool's album that is rumored to be out by May this year. Their last two albums, I.e. 10,000 Days and Lateralus are phenomenal compositions. Lyrically, they are arguably the best I'd say.

Meanwhile, I stumbled upon this:

Gazpacho - great find!
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2019, 11:49   #26
BHPian

For the last few days, Iam listening to Miles Davis - The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions box set which has a beautiful documentation of Miles Davis transition from Acoustic to Electric. Though Miles Davis was doing a little electric experiments for a while, with John McLaughlin's arrival it zoomed to new heights in "In a Silent Way" album released in 1969.

IMHO, these sessions greatly enhanced the fusion vision of both Miles Davis, John McLaughlin and the rest of the crew. Very recommended if you haven't listened this box sofar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Co...t_Way_Sessions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_a_Silent_Way

Old 20th February 2019, 21:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

AC/DC at River Plate.

Some facts:

1. Seating capacity - 66000
2. Madison Square and O2 are only 20000
3. Entire 66000 seats sold out
4. Song - Highway to hell
5. Chords in the song - 4

Angus Young cannot handle bar chords as he has short fingers. The chords in the entire song are within the first 4 frets.

Except for the riffs which Angus is pretty good at and the immensely talented Bonnie Scott, this is a fairly simple song with a very basic chord progression.

But just look at the effect on the crowd.

Old 20th February 2019, 21:47   #28
BHPian

Bon Scott, the original legendary singer passed away in 1980. Although the original recording of this song had him doing vocals, this is the one & only Brian Johnson singing at River Plate. Truly, one of the greatest recorded live rock concerts ever.
Old 21st February 2019, 07:46   #29
BHPian

AC/DC definitely a great band. But they belong to Rock thread than in Prog. My humble opinion.
Old 21st February 2019, 22:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Bon Scott, the original legendary singer passed away in 1980. Although the original recording of this song had him doing vocals, this is the one & only Brian Johnson singing at River Plate. Truly, one of the greatest recorded live rock concerts ever.
The River Plate concert was in 2009 and was one of the greatest recorded rock concerts EVER. And you're right - Bonnie Scott passed away shortly after recording the original album.

The finale of River Plate had around a 15 minute riff by Angus after Brian signed off early in the song.

Last edited by AMG Power : 21st February 2019 at 22:29.

Most Viewed