Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2019, 00:04   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Progressive Rock, Fusion, Avant Garde & Experimental Music Recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildy View Post
For some strange reason, I never liked Rush no matter how hard I tried to listen to them many times. May be I should focus on their music again.
Is that because they moved on to more synthesized sound in 80s?

Rush changed their styles more than once. (King Crimson was master at it though!) Rush started like hard rock and then moved more alternative and synthesized stuff starting from Grace Under Pressure all the way up to Counterparts in '94. Test for Echo was somewhat a return. But Vapor Trails was Real Hard back to start and a full circle.

For me apart from 2112 as an album, the piece La Villa Strangiato is an all time favorite. But apart from music Peart's lyrics were always in the realm of poetry. For that alone I keep listening to Hold your Fire all the time. And also for that reason Rush was called Thinking Man's Metal.

Last edited by ampere : 26th February 2019 at 00:35.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 07:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Is that because they moved on to more synthesized sound in 80s?
It's majorly because, I've an irritation for Geddy Lee Vocals (No offense to any Rush fans, that's just my personal choice). Apart from that, If I remember correctly, the band is very tight and plays some awesome music, especially their complex music compositions are mind blowing. I need to re-look and re explore their repertoire again.
Old 26th February 2019, 08:02   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's majorly because, I've an irritation for Geddy Lee Vocals (No offense to any Rush fans, that's just my personal choice). Apart from that, If I remember correctly, the band is very tight and plays some awesome music, especially their complex music compositions are mind blowing. I need to re-look and re explore their repertoire again.
Start with the Chronicles double album. It’s a greatest hits collection from the time they started through to 1989 or so. Then get the 2112 concept album. And Moving Pictures. You should be set.

I adore Rush but their 80s pop phase is more than a little annoying. And somehow they never recaptured the magic in the later albums. But watching them perform the classics live is beautiful (unfortunately I have never had the pleasure, except through video). And don’t miss the Sam Dunn rockumentary.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2019, 13:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Start with the Chronicles double album. It’s a greatest hits collection from the time they started through to 1989 or so. Then get the 2112 concept album. And Moving Pictures. You should be set.

Thank you very much noopster. I shall give them a try again, this time little serious though.
Old 1st March 2019, 09:34   #35
BHPian

"Wishbone Ash" is a beautiful guitar oriented Britsh Prog band formed in 1969. "Phoenix" is one of their many stunningly awesome songs released in 1970. Pay attention to their dual guitar solos. Enjoy and have a good day.

Old 7th March 2019, 07:43   #36
BHPian

"Boud Deun" is one of my very few favourite bands from this era. Their Astronomy Made Easy album is a masterpiece and half.

Please check this band. Totally worth it if you like hard edged 70's kind of prog fusion in the vain of Mahavishnu Orchestra. Enjoy.

Old 28th July 2019, 13:34   #37
BHPian

Uriah Heep is one of the greatest Rock bands I've explored. This "July Morning" is an epic song from their album "Look at Yourself" released in 1971. David Byron Vocals, Ken Hensly keyboards and Mick Box guitars are simply fantastic.
A trivia for you, "Manfred Mann" appeared as a guest musician in this song for the very first time with his legendary Moog Synthesizer. Enjoy this great song and have a great day...Raaj.

Old 28th July 2019, 13:36   #38
BHPian

In continuation to my earlier recommendation, If you are wondering who is "Manfred Mann", well, here it goes. Watch out for keyboards, Moog Synthesizer sounds. He is really virtuoso of Moog. One of my top favorite songs. Enjoy.

Old 28th July 2019, 15:58   #39
BHPian

Some really cool recommendations there, Wildy. Thanks! Btw, are there any Tool fans in the house? New album is just 2 days away !!
jailbird_fynix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 18:17   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Some really cool recommendations there, Wildy. Thanks! Btw, are there any Tool fans in the house? New album is just 2 days away !!

Glad you are liking them Jailbird and thanks for your kind remarks.

Tool is very powerful band, but I would term them into Alternative Metal, though occasionally they throw Progressive/Art-Rock elements in their music.
Old 28th July 2019, 18:22   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Tool is very powerful band, but I would term them into Alternative Metal, though occasionally they throw Progressive/Art-Rock elements in their music.
I agree. In anticipation to the release, I've been listening to their older stuff a lot lately. Have you heard King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard by any chance? I've been listening to their last album & would highly recommend it.
jailbird_fynix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 18:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailbird_fynix View Post
Have you heard King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard by any chance? I've been listening to their last album & would highly recommend it.

Iam sucker of late 60's to 70's music and rarely shift my attention to modern bands. Thanks very much for the kind recommendation. I shall look into it.

Last edited by Wildy : 28th July 2019 at 19:02.
Old 28th July 2019, 23:00   #43
Team-BHP Support

From Avantasia's this year's album. New effort and collaboration with Hansi.

Very well paced!

Last edited by ampere : 16th February 2021 at 17:51. Reason: fixed dead youtube link
Old 29th July 2019, 08:48   #44
BHPian

John McLaughlin recorded an album called "Devotion" in 1969 just after he left Miles Davis band. Unlike any of his previous or future albums, he played Acid/Psychedelic Rock in this one. This "Marbles" song is pure bliss to listen even to this day.

BTW, this was covered by Carlos Santana in 1972. Both are fantastic versions. But, I prefer this original one. Will post Santana version next... Have a good day... Raaj

Carlos Santana cover Version of Marbles song.

Old 29th July 2019, 10:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[center]Uriah Heep is one of the greatest Rock bands I've explored. This "July Morning" is an epic song from their album "Look at Yourself" released in 1971. David Byron Vocals, Ken Hensly keyboards and Mick Box guitars are simply fantastic.
Love that band! Ever since a friend made me listen to "Gypsy" i have been hooked on to them.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks