Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2006, 00:16   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A mob surrounded Dhale and started beating him, resulting in his death, the official said.
What else could they do? Take him home for dinner. Or give a pat on his back. They should be flogged...

And in India ANYTHING makes headlines. You want a holiday, do something to some statue anywhere....you want to be on TV, dress up like a moron and dance on the road....you want sponsorship, fall in a hole....

Police firing may be necessary. If they are out of control....I'd say shoot the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy
Killing him would serve no purpose except escalating the issue.
And are what these Dalits are doing a solution to the issue?

And most importantly.....do you really think half of that mob is really interested in Ambedkar?!
Old 1st December 2006, 07:49   #47
Senior - BHPian

In today's TOI, Pune edition, the reporters asked a few teenagers carrying bricks for throwing around, why they were doing it. Their answer? "Somebody told us that some God from some part of the country was desecrated. People from our locality were targetting busses, so we also decided to follow them".
Old 1st December 2006, 08:47   #48
Senior - BHPian

Right. Just heard this on a news channel. The thing that started it all, the desecration of Dr.Ambedkar's statue, was done by a person who was Dalit himself.
Hearing this, even more people are taking to the streets.
Old 1st December 2006, 09:09   #49
Senior - BHPian

The whole country's gone crazy. Wait. The whole world has, more or less.
Old 1st December 2006, 09:40   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Shiva View Post
It's about throwing stones at vehicles that are moving at high speed and thus putting the lives of their innocent occupants at immense risk.
By the same logic people who jump red signal should meet the same fate, instead of Rs.100/- fine for jumping signal ( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/299222-post1.html ). Because by jumping signal, they also put other motorists at immense risk. Isn't it?
I hope we don't get into a situation where a mob decides on the spot what the punishment or reward is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
What else could they do? Take him home for dinner. Or give a pat on his back. They should be flogged...
Certainly not lynch him.

A mob is a group of persons with heads but no brains.
-Thomas Fuller
Mob is a mob is a mob. Its same all over the world. Lets not endorse the act done by a mob as 'deserving'.
Old 1st December 2006, 10:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Heard another good news, the guy killed by mob was a dalit & Govt has anounced to pay 1lakh or something to his family

If only he wasnt killed our taxes would have been saved :(
Old 1st December 2006, 10:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkr_99 View Post
This is not a new thing.. the guy in the bigger vehicle will always be at the mercy of the crowd... In accidents involving big vehicles and somebody in a smaller vehicle gets hurt, unless the driver flees for his life, his life will be in great danger.
Unfortunately, thats the situation in most of the places, as there will always be some people in the mob, who just want to vent their frustration on whoever they think is financially above them.
That is EXACTLY the point im trying to make. A mob has no right to punish anyone. What they should do is report the matter to the cops and make sure that he is given whatever punishment he deserves by a court.
Old 1st December 2006, 10:21   #53
BHPian

"police had attempted to quell the violence by arresting as many as 1,500 people across Maharashtra who were caught pelting stones, indulging in arson, and damaging public property."
source: Dalit fury: Police were caught napping-India-NEWS-The Times of India

brothers any guessess what will happen to these 1500 people? let me try mine, they will be set free, not even charged in the court of law.

and to top it all "offence is the best defence", else these @$$holes will always keep us on the backfoot.

@ technocrat: "Heard another good news, the guy killed by mob was a dalit & Govt has anounced to pay 1lakh or something to his family, If only he wasnt killed our taxes would have been saved :("

u bothering about the taxes the govt will collect from u for that 1 lakh, what about public & private property worth crores being burnt, ransacked & damaged? i guess the better trade off will be to shoot each one of them & pay them a lakh each. that will certainly come out cheaper. dont u think so?
Old 1st December 2006, 10:30   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani View Post
"police had attempted to quell the violence by arresting as many as 1,500 people across Maharashtra who were caught pelting stones, indulging in arson, and damaging public property."
source: Dalit fury: Police were caught napping-India-NEWS-The Times of India

brothers any guessess what will happen to these 1500 people? let me try mine, they will be set free, not even charged in the court of law.

and to top it all "offence is the best defence", else these @$$holes will always keep us on the backfoot.
yea man I agree with you...this is really frustrating but I still dont think taking the law into your own hands is the key. I guess we need to think about some new laws about rioting and vadalism..
Old 1st December 2006, 10:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

As some wise guy said, "An eye for an eye will leave the whole world blind".

The guy who pelted stones at vehicles had no business doing that. Just as the mob had no business damaging public/private property.

As long as we have illiterate and unemployed people around, this kind of mob frenzy is but natural as they are the perfect tools for the scumbags that we have as politicians. Is it surprising why Laloo kept Bihar in an underdeveloped state for such a long time ? The Railways turnaround shows (even though I am sure the management deserves most of the credit) that he has it in him to do stuff, but he never did that in Bihar. If he gave impetus to education, invited development, created jobs etc, where will he get the thugs for his dirty work ? They would be busy working for a living like us.

One point that I liked on this thread was about doing away with all statues. These statues create more harm than good. And for those that respect these leaders, IMO they do not really need statues for paying their respect and for remembering them.
Old 1st December 2006, 12:10   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
Unfortunately you cannot sentence someone to death for a crime he may have committed had that stone caused the death of another.
You mean as long as stone throwing at vehicles (which are at high speed) does not cause the death of occupants, it is a LAW ABIDING action???? That's amazing
Old 1st December 2006, 12:12   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani View Post
[i]
@ technocrat: "Heard another good news, the guy killed by mob was a dalit & Govt has anounced to pay 1lakh or something to his family, If only he wasnt killed our taxes would have been saved :("

u bothering about the taxes the govt will collect from u for that 1 lakh, what about public & private property worth crores being burnt, ransacked & damaged? i guess the better trade off will be to shoot each one of them & pay them a lakh each. that will certainly come out cheaper. dont u think so?
Hmm that way yes I agree will be much less loss but still shooting the protestors I dont as human life can not be valued like this
Old 1st December 2006, 12:31   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
You mean as long as stone throwing at vehicles (which are at high speed) does not cause the death of occupants, it is a LAW ABIDING action???? That's amazing
So you mean it warranted a death sentence? Because that's what the mob decided to dish out to him, and that is what all you supporters here feel is perfectly fine!?!

I am really at a loss for words here.

Edit: As someone mentioned above, if you run a red light, should you be shot? You are, after all, knowingly breaking the law which may result in the death or injury of another. I don't see a difference between you running a red light and that guy throwing stones. They could both lead to the same outcome, so, by your reckoning, the driver of the vehicle should also be lynched, beaten and killed on the spot.

I hope that example lets you see the larger picture and not just a one off case.

Last edited by Rtech : 1st December 2006 at 12:36.
Old 1st December 2006, 12:42   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech View Post
So you mean it warranted a death sentence? Because that's what the mob decided to dish out to him, and that is what all you supporters here feel is perfectly fine!?!

I am really at a loss for words here.
Rtech, I think you are jumping to conclusions here. I don't think I mentioned anywhere on my post that the killing was justified.

However, your post, if you'll pardon my pointing out does suggest that it was not a crime to throw stones at passing cars as long as someone didn't get killed.....and THAT amazes me.

I'm also of the opinion that if the shoe was on the other foot and any of us was driving down that place & getting pelted by stones being hurled by a lunatic, we would have taken strong offense & posted accordingly.......perhaps advocated ourselves that such lunatics should be shot.

But that's human nature for you.........
Old 1st December 2006, 12:52   #60
BANNED

Death was an extreme step, but getting the snot beaten out of him is pretty much what he deserved. Same goes for red light jumpers. I have no issue with them getting dragged out and beaten since they ARE endangering lives and anyone can pay 100 bucks and do it again.

I'm through believing this is a civilised society. Mobs burn trains and get away with it. The people who incited them will go on to form the government (remember Shiv Sena in '93). Police are either hand in glove or useless. In any case, justice is never for people like us. Only taxes, bribes and extortion.

Mob rules anyways, so in this case I'm just glad it was well deserved.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks