Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2017, 16:02   #1
mxx
BHPian

The 'Standing Desk' Thread

Some information for those who are interested in standing desk. I recently purchased one from urban ladder (see the product link below), and got it delivered yesterday. It is priced at 49,999/-. They have a sale going on now, and currently it is available for 39,999/-, a very good deal since not many options for standing table with warranty available in India.

Product page link:
https://www.urbanladder.com/products...-standing-desk

The 'Standing Desk' Thread-philip_adjustable_height_standing_desk_05.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th December 2017 at 12:30. Reason: Adding a pic :)
Old 7th December 2017, 14:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Office / Desk Chair offering excellent support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Some information for those who are interested in standing desk.
Nice! That's a decent price for a full desk + electric movement!

Can you please share pics of the whole thing??

Couple of questions:
1) Table top says MDF -- does it seem durable?
2) For the electric movement, do you have to keep a button pressed, or can you just set a new desired height and then take a toilet break while it moves
3) How sturdy is it?
4) Where does the wire connect to the outlet from? Does it hang down from the table-top, or does it come out from one of the feet of the table?

Thanks!
R
Old 7th December 2017, 19:17   #3
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Couple of questions:
1) Table top says MDF -- does it seem durable?
2) For the electric movement, do you have to keep a button pressed, or can you just set a new desired height and then take a toilet break while it moves
3) How sturdy is it?
4) Where does the wire connect to the outlet from? Does it hang down from the table-top, or does it come out from one of the feet of the table?
R
The table top feels durable. It is way thicker than the godrej computer desk table top I was using before this. The whole table is quite sturdy, and I have no complaints about the quality of the product.
There are up/down buttons, and 4 presets which you can configure. Once you configure them, it is a one touch operation. just press the preset button, and the desk moves to the set height without any intervention.
The power supply is mounted under the table top (rear end), and the wire hangs from it.
Overall I would recommend the product. I feel even at the non-discounted price of 49,999/- it is not a bad deal. In fact I was planning to purchase at that price. But I wanted to check the product in their experience center before purchase. Luckily by the time I could check the product their sale had started. The discount made it a much better deal.
Old 8th December 2017, 11:55   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Overall I would recommend the product. I feel even at the non-discounted price of 49,999/- it is not a bad deal.
Thanks!

I see the price has gone from 39,999 to 42,000.

I would have picked this up, but I just got a desk made earlier this year +

I recently bought this monitor arm on Amazon for Rs. 6,750

LINK

The 'Standing Desk' Thread-71vqrreizzl._sl1500_.jpg

The 'Standing Desk' Thread-71rizrmm9ml._sl1500_.jpg

PROS
  • 170-505mm height range is the most travel I've seen! (Useful for my standing/sitting configuration - though i need to mount it a lot higher than table-top level for it to be high enough)
  • Most reasonably priced one on Amazon too!
  • Solid build and good finish quality
  • Looks exactly like the pics (though the colour is slightly more "grey" than "silver")
  • Multiple mount possibilities (two thickness ranges for the clamp, as well as an option to mount via a hole for a bolt through your desk)
  • Adjustable resistance, so works for light & heavy monitors
  • Came packed excellently (molded cardboard for all the pieces, everything plastic wrapped)

CONS
  • Middle rotation hinge was improperly tightened and made the whole thing rock around loosely. For me, it was as simple as tightening a screw below the joint (the size for which an allen key was NOT provided).
  • There is some clockwise/anticlockwise play in the quick-release (that's attached to the vesa plate) when its in the holder. Not a major issue, as you only notice it when moving the monitor position.
  • Tilt (up/down) has a lot of play. You need to move it way higher than you want it, and then it drops down into position.
  • The black plastic piece behind the clamp has 2 slots for storing the 2 different-sized allen keys. The smaller one fits, but the larger one doesn't. Not sure if there was supposed to be a 3rd size of allen key that was missing?

So in short, everything was exactly as advertised, and I'm really happy with it!

Right now, to give it some additional height, I've mounted it on a wooden stand (drilled a hole through it). But it still needs to go about 5" higher.

SAMDI Laptop Stand ($38 on Aliexpress)
The 'Standing Desk' Thread-copy-samdibamboodesktopmonitorheightenstandcomputerdockholderlaptoprackdisplaybracketforimac.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th December 2017 at 12:04.
Rehaan is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 10:15   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 'Standing Desk' Thread

Thanks for sharing, guys! Keeping the popularity of standing desks in mind, I'm moving your posts to a new thread .

Link to the Office Chair thread
Old 9th December 2017, 11:29   #6
Senior - BHPian

Now that IKEA is setting up shop in India would suggest the Knotten Standing Desk. It's cheap and lasts the course.
Attached Thumbnails
The 'Standing Desk' Thread-0406639_pe602587_s5.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2017, 14:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

My friend bought the plans from https://theupstandingdesk.com and is getting it made in Bangalore. Looks very VFM
Old 12th December 2017, 18:19   #8
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I recently bought this monitor arm on Amazon for Rs. 6,750
In your setup, where do you keep the keyboard while standing. Do you have any separate platform for that?
mxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 01:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

While we are at this topic, some new studies are out indicating the ill effects of standing for a long time.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a7956766.html
https://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-s...for-your-heart
Jaguar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 17:37   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In your setup, where do you keep the keyboard while standing. Do you have any separate platform for that?
Oh man.. that's where I'm currently stuck

I want to get an adjustable stand like this... but it's hard to find one which is long enough for a keyboard (they are designed for laptops).

The 'Standing Desk' Thread-c46051f6falr6d.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
While we are at this topic, some new studies are out indicating the ill effects of standing for a long time.
I think it's clear that balance is key to everything.
Old 14th December 2017, 19:57   #11
BHPian

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but 49k for a sheet of MDF on a few pieces of metal seems to be daylight robbery. The mechanism to lower or raise the table might be expensive but the rest of the materials are not more than 5k max. We made one for our workshop using a normal car jack for less than 5k. We use our cordless drill to run the jack but one can easily repurpose an electrically driven jack as well.
If this table had some nice drawers and the frame concealed with MDF, it might have been easier to justify the price, but as a barebone table it's not even worth half of what it costs.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2017, 23:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

I'd absolutely concur with rdst_1. Any decent carpenter will make you a motorised-height-adjustable standing table at a fraction of the price!

Even though value is subjective, to call it a "good deal" at ₹50k, doesn't look fair unless it came as a garage accessory for a Ferrari.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 14th December 2017 at 23:56.
Old 15th December 2017, 16:55   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but 49k for a sheet of MDF on a few pieces of metal seems to be daylight robbery.
Agreed that you're paying a lot more than what you're getting (as with so many things these days). Hence my first question raised, especially after hearing the mention of MDF!

That said, I've never seen an electrically adjustable full desk at a 39k price tag.

Sure, a similar thing can be made, but you're not gonna have the same clean look, or convenience (setting memories, etc).
Old 2nd January 2018, 18:14   #14
Senior - BHPian

How about something like this, that can be used on existing table itself? I am curious to try this, but not fully committed to invest too much.

https://www.displaystandsindia.com/p...desk-converter

Name:  E8Adjust_height_ee662933b7d74a0a985680f15497c882.gif
Views: 2643
Size:  682.5 KB

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th January 2018 at 13:16. Reason: Adding image :)
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2018, 13:18   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
How about something like this, that can be used on existing table itself? I am curious to try this, but not fully committed to invest too much.
Does it have any locking mechanism? In the video (at the link above) it seems a bit floppy when the man pulls it up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks