Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2018, 09:48   #31
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Senior Citizen Mobility: Stair-Climbing Wheelchair Review

Got this via WhatsApp. It appears to be a lower cost replica and might suit those on a budget. However, just be sure to check it in detail for safety. Safety is very, very critical.

Quote:
There's this Parsi guy in Bombay who's making these wheelchairs which can go up and down stairs effortlessly. Very useful for the elderly living in buildings without lifts. Please circulate amongst your friends. He's also looking for dealerships.

Jamshed Dalal
+919890149666

His company name is "Seedee".
Link to their Facebook Page
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 15:28   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This chair is truly robust and can tackle any kind of terrain. We're getting the staircase overhauled, so its completely broken up. Lots of stairs are uneven too.

No problem. Breezed through these today:
Senior Citizen Mobility: Stair-Climbing Wheelchair Review-20181114_142842.jpg

Senior Citizen Mobility: Stair-Climbing Wheelchair Review-20181114_142855.jpg
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 19:41   #33
BHPian

Very useful. I had suggested to the wise folks at our apartment complex to pool together and sell off all the junk that's collected - plastic, paper, metals, etc - from all apartments. Over a period of time, we'll gather more than enough funds to buy a few wheel chairs so sr. citizens visiting off and on can just borrow and use them.

We can work out some accountability T&C too, no issues on that front.

So much for the community feeling, the great wise elders march to a tune of their own and so far have given only deaf ears! Will need to find ways to push for it.
Miyata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 11:32   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Just wanted to post a long-term update on this thread. It truly has Innova-like reliability. 4 years up and not a single problem, not even a screw gone loose .

Helped bring Mum up after a dinner last night:
Senior Citizen Mobility: Stair-Climbing Wheelchair Review-20191114-22.23.35.jpg
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 11:48   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

How has the battery held up? Do you see any major change in charging time or frequency of charging?
Old 16th November 2019, 07:37   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
How has the battery held up? Do you see any major change in charging time or frequency of charging?
Really not sure as, irrespective of the battery level or usage, my staff charges it once in 2 weeks. It has no battery level indicator, so hard to tell (there is just a "low battery" warning).
Old 16th December 2019, 10:51   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good to see restaurants also supporting senior citizen mobility. This is at Revival on Marine Drive. It was a long walk for Mum from the car to the staircase, so she was truly relieved to see this.

This kind of stair-climber is too much of a headache for private owners though. The passenger has to get off after each level of steps (to take the next chair), it takes up a lot of space, probability of theft / damage by others and the maintenance is higher. Will be ideal for private bungalows:
Senior Citizen Mobility: Stair-Climbing Wheelchair Review-20191215-13.17.02.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 09:58   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After 4 years of usage, the battery life has significantly deteriorated. Barely does 1 round up & down before the low battery warning comes up. Am placing an order for a new one. Other than this, the stair-climber is working flawlessly!
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 17:44   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Related a bit to mobility for seniors and physically challenged:

An affordable innovative wheel chair that also allows the user to stand up on his own with support of the chair. Designed by IIT-Chennai. Per the video, cost is about 15k.

A zip of the video is here.
As per the video, public can contact Mr Bedekar on 9824074940

Seniors Chair.zip

Senior Citizen Mobility: Stair-Climbing Wheelchair Review-screenshot-20201210-224952.png

Senior Citizen Mobility: Stair-Climbing Wheelchair Review-screenshot-20201210-225000.png

Senior Citizen Mobility: Stair-Climbing Wheelchair Review-screenshot-20201210-225004.png

Senior Citizen Mobility: Stair-Climbing Wheelchair Review-screenshot-20201210-225008.png

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th December 2020 at 22:51. Reason: Adding screenshots :) Thanks!
condor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 19:00   #40
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Here is what appears to be another more economical option:

Old 8th May 2021, 19:17   #41
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
After 4 years of usage, the battery life has significantly deteriorated. Barely does 1 round up & down before the low battery warning comes up.
Got the battery. As expected, it's expensive at 16,800, but there is no price one can put on mobility. This is the only way my Mum can step out of the house. Chair is working flawlessly .
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 20:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to hear about your loss.
You did everything possible that made your Mom's life better, this thread is a testament to that.

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2024 at 13:59. Reason: Removing ad, hence the quote too :)
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 21:48   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is going to be an unusual review, but well, anything that has wheels is welcome on Team-BHP, so here goes.

A problem some of you – rather, the elders in your family - might be facing is limited mobility for senior citizens. Our family was in the same situation. We live in an old building that wasn’t designed to accommodate a lift. What’s more, our home is located right by the beach – meaning, tough coastal regulations that prohibit any kind of alteration to the building structure.

When my folks were in their sixties, they managed the climb up to the top / 3rd floor without issue. However, once they crossed into the seventies, that became an arduous task. Things were so unmanageable that they temporarily moved to our 1st floor house as the climb up to the 3rd floor was daunting!

Not for too long though.

In January 2016, we bought a set of 4 wheels that changed my Mum’s life. Say hello to the Stairclimber – a motorized wheelchair specifically designed to climb up stairs. But it’s more than just that. This is mobility for the elderly!

I want to share this review hoping that it helps those of you who have elderly folk at home. In the 24 months that we’ve had it, I’ve personally recommended the stairclimber to so many other families and there are now a lot of oldies happily using one.

Cannot comment on the after-sales quality as I haven’t needed it yet; nothing has gone wrong in 2 years of regular usage. For what it’s worth, the Stairclimber comes with a 12-month warranty. I asked about extended coverage (as I do for all my cars ), but sadly, there are no options available.
I am slightly confused - did you buy the wheelchair in 2016 but did not use it actively OR did you buy it later and have only used it for <=24 months? Also, would this company honor any request for spare parts?

I am also curious how are the mechanical parts getting lubricated so long after leaving the factory. It seems all electro-mechanical as well as mechanical parts are working as good as new (as per your reports) and I am scratching my head. Ideally, there should be some periodic maintenance to get elongated life.
Old 26th January 2024, 08:33   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss.
You did everything possible that made your Mom's life better, this thread is a testament to that.
Thank you. Mum left for heaven in 2021.

Thought we'll retain the chair for close friends & relatives, but operating it has a big learning curve. Whoever I offered it to wanted me to come and help their relatives up & down the staircase, which simply isn't possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroopyGarfield View Post
Also, would this company honor any request for spare parts?
Yep, the company still offers parts. It needs a new battery which is readily available at a princely sum of 30-40k.

Quote:
I am also curious how are the mechanical parts getting lubricated so long after leaving the factory
Agreed on the maintenance. Everything was working perfect the last time I checked, but better for the new owner to get it serviced.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed