Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2017, 20:04   #1
BHPian

Aadhaar linking for Facebook accounts

Facebook has started asking for Aadhar details for new users to weed out fake account. What next Aadhar for google account?
The government in name of money Laundering is tactically allowing private companies to collect data for profiteering.
https://m.gadgetsnow.com/tech-news/f...mweb_hptopnews

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 27th December 2017 at 20:06.
Old 27th December 2017, 20:24   #2
BHPian

re: Aadhaar linking for Facebook accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Facebook has started asking for Aadhar details for new users to weed out fake account. What next Aadhar for google account?
The government in name of money Laundering is tactically allowing private companies to collect data for profiteering.
https://m.gadgetsnow.com/tech-news/f...mweb_hptopnews
Asking for Aadhar details and and requesting for the name on Aadhar are two different things. It neither asks for the Aadhar number nor a copy of the Aadhar card

But it begets one big question, why does facebook need the Aadhar name thou?

This is what I was able to get out of the facebook settings page.
"The name on your profile should be the name that your friends call you in everyday life. This name should also appear on an ID or document from our ID list."

If you need to confirm your name on Facebook, or if you've lost access to your account, you may be asked to send us a copy of something with your name on it. You have several different options for this, including photo IDs issued by the government, IDs from non-government organizations, official certificates or licenses that include your name or other physical items like a magazine subscription or a piece of mail.
Any time you send us something that confirms your name or identity, please cover up any personal information we don't need to see (ex: credit card number, Social Security number). Also keep in mind that we encrypt everyone's connection to Facebook by default and delete anything that you've sent to us after we've confirmed your name or identity.
Learn more about how Facebook protects the privacy and security of your information when you submit an ID.

Group One
You can send us one of the items from group one to confirm your name or get back into your account. Anything that you send us should contain either your name and date of birth or your name and photo.
  • Birth certificate
  • Driver's license
  • Passport
  • Marriage certificate
  • Official name change paperwork
  • Personal or vehicle insurance card
  • Non-driver's government ID (ex: disability, SNAP card, national ID card, pension card)
  • Green card, residence permit or immigration papers
  • Tribal identification or status card
  • Voter ID card
  • Family certificate
  • Visa
  • National age card
  • Immigration registration card
  • Tax identification card
Group Two
If you don't have anything from group one, you can send us two different items from group two. The name on the items that you send us should be the same name that you want to show on your profile.
Keep in mind that if you've lost access to your account, you may be asked to provide something from the list that also shows a photo or date of birth that matches the details on your Facebook account. This extra precaution is so that we can make sure that the only one with access to your account is you.
  • Bank statement
  • Transit card
  • Check
  • Credit card
  • Employment verification
  • Library card
  • Mail
  • Magazine subscription stub
  • Medical record
  • Membership ID (ex: pension card, union membership, work ID, professional ID)
  • Paycheck stub
  • Permit
  • School ID card
  • School record
  • Social Security card
  • Utility bill
  • Yearbook photo (actual scan or photograph of the page in your yearbook)
  • Company loyalty card
  • Contract
  • Family registry
  • Diploma
  • Religious documents
  • Certificate of registration for accreditation or professional
  • Professional license card
  • Polling card
  • Health insurance
  • Address proof card
  • Social welfare card

Last edited by JayKis : 27th December 2017 at 20:28.
Old 27th December 2017, 21:25   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

My guess - this is a rumor.

If Facebook is asking for Aadhar, then I am off FB. Yeah !!!

When there is no financial transactions there, why does FB want it ? Heck, even places where we do financial transactions dont ask for it. ( I am not refering to banks etc where I have some assets).
Old 27th December 2017, 21:36   #4
BHPian

When I read the headlines, it felt like deja vu. Then I realised that Faking News had predicted this long back

http://www.fakingnews.firstpost.com/...unt-govt-19683
Old 27th December 2017, 21:58   #5
BHPian

By reading the linked news item I get a feeling that it is just a rumour and unverified kite-flying by a newbie newsite to get traffic to itself.

Couple of points that raise suspicion - No link to the Reddit post, Facebook being referred to as "Mark Zuckerberg and co".
Old 27th December 2017, 22:20   #6
BHPian

I am amused at what all is happening with me just out for one year plus.
Aadaar linking to what not😂
I don't want to say anything on this forum or any social media, but I am lost in this Aadhaar cobweb.

On my next visit
I have to get a mobile number first.
The existing Vodafone has been deactivated although it showed validity till 2026 and in use with my sister.
Then link bank, pan, LIC,
What's happening here. Aaarrrrgggghhh.
I will soon loose my sanity and logic.

Next will be link your wife, children to your Aadhaar card, so you know if they are legal or ...😂

Last edited by Jr Godzilla : 27th December 2017 at 22:25.
Old 27th December 2017, 22:58   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
What next Aadhar for google account?
ews[/url]
Hi, Mobile number is a requirement for Google account, plus Mobile number are linked via Aadhar card.
Old 27th December 2017, 22:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
Except for Voter ID. Somebody asked this and I don't know. Why is Voter ID not linked to Aadhar?
Old 28th December 2017, 01:01   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Except for Voter ID. Somebody asked this and I don't know. Why is Voter ID not linked to Aadhar?
Ohh that's no brainier there.

Its to manipulate the votes of the so many fake names created on the electoral list. Then tilt the scales.
Anyway that's politics and I won't discuss it here.
Old 28th December 2017, 01:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Because people will not link it as there is no direct benefit of it.
Old 28th December 2017, 06:45   #11
BHPian

I took the screenshot from the new account sign up screen. Just asks for your real name. Doesn’t ask for your Aadhar name or number. Most likely a hoax. But if it were to ask your Aadhar name or number it’s time to run away from it as fast as you can!
Attached Thumbnails
Aadhaar linking for Facebook accounts-1ddd745f1e934bf9b36b7c2e45753bb4.jpeg  

Old 28th December 2017, 12:51   #12
BHPian

Re: Aadhaar linking for Facebook accounts

Aadhaar linking to FB is a hoax for now but I think we should be ready for something like this in near future. I think government is taking this tagging quite seriously and I can see this linking going on everywhere. Recently I linked it with PayTM mobile application.

This is going to be a never ending task from the day you are born till you say goodbye to the world by tagging Aadhaar to your grave.
Old 28th December 2017, 13:13   #13
BHPian

I don't think it is hoax. As per Facebook, they are testing on few selected users basically from handheld devices.
https://m.timesofindia.com/business/...w/62274478.cms

https://m.facebook.com/aadharcardlink/

Last edited by kozhissery : 28th December 2017 at 13:16.
Old 28th December 2017, 13:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Aadhaar linking for Facebook accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I don't think it is hoax. As per Facebook, they are testing on few selected users basically from handheld devices.
https://m.timesofindia.com/business/...w/62274478.cms

https://m.facebook.com/aadharcardlink/

Second link you shared is no way connected to Facebook asking for Aadhaar details. It is just an information page hosted with Facebook.
Old 28th December 2017, 15:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Re: Aadhaar linking for Facebook accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr Godzilla View Post
I am amused at what all is happening with me just out for one year plus.
I think it feels strange because it is happening at some random point in our lives. It is a pain to link everything to Aadhaar separately.

I live in a society where a "Personal ID" is linked to everything - phone connection, home broadband, electricity, employment record, health record, not to mention social benefits, income tax, property (rent or buy) and bank accounts.

I didn't feel any "pain" since the first thing I had to get on moving here was the "Personal ID" and I had to quote it everywhere from then on. I guess it will come to a point in India when a newborn will be given Aadhaar number when his/her birth is registered and then he/she can quote it everywhere.

Only difference here is that the "Personal ID" is not linked with biometric data. However, I saw a newspaper article not so long ago that the government is planning to add biometric data. The reason - you guessed it - people (read immigrants) registering themselves with different names at multiple places to avail social benefits in different cities (huge issue in India too I guess).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks