Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2009, 22:15   #181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
No fans of Federico Fellini here?
I have seen 8 and half. In fact, seen it twice till now and understood half of it. Definitely a movie for left brained people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
I saw Kill bill again yesterday and I thought it was brilliant. Why? I dont know.
Exactly the same here. And I liked Jackie Brown even more.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 5th April 2009 at 22:31. Reason: Multi quote, back to back posts
Old 6th July 2009, 11:36   #182
Senior - BHPian

These are the movies i saw over the last couple of days:
1. My Life to Live (French) - Directed by Jean-Luc Godard. A 21 year old woman, Nana, played by Anna Karina who was Godard's wife at that time, leaves her family and moves to Paris to become an actress. Poverty forces her into prostitution. Although Nana believes that she is responsible for the decisions she takes, the movie shows it otherwise. The movie's direction is unlike any other. Godard plays with offbeat camera angles and frames that may take a little getting used to.
Watch it.

2. Passion of Anna (Swedish) - directed by Ingmar Bergman. They say this is Bergman's most underrated film. I wont know much about that because this is the first film of his that i saw. Movie revolves around 4 characters coming to terms with their own realities, and the actors have done a fantastic job of portraying the emotions (or lack of it in one case). You'd never imagine that Swedish countryside could look so bleak.
Watch it.

3. Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (Italian) - directed by Giuseppe Tornatore. A brilliant movie. Follows the story of a successful movie director/producer in his younger days. This is cinema at its best. The relationship between Alfredo, an old projectionist and Toto, the young kid will pull all the strings of your heart.
MUST watch it.

Thats all folks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th July 2009 at 15:22. Reason: Splitting the post
Old 6th July 2009, 21:49   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
1. My Life to Live (French) - Directed by Jean-Luc Godard. A 21 year old woman, Nana, played by Anna Karina who was Godard's wife at that time, leaves her family and moves to Paris to become an actress. Poverty forces her into prostitution. Although Nana believes that she is responsible for the decisions she takes, the movie shows it otherwise. The movie's direction is unlike any other. Godard plays with offbeat camera angles and frames that may take a little getting used to.
Watch it.
I suppose the original name of the movie is Vivre Sa Vie. I sat down with my wife to watch it a couple of months back but after the first two episodes she got bored and I had to change the dvd. I have not yet completed the movie. I have two other Godard movies in my collection: Alphaville and Le Mepris. Both are comparatively easier to appreciate.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 6th July 2009 at 21:51.
Old 6th July 2009, 22:04   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
Hello friends, Share here some of the best movies that you have ever watched.

It could be in any language, any genre.... movies that made you move to the edge of the seat (not walk out of the seat), made you laugh your a** out, made you cry, made you empathise with the characters.....

Off late, i have been watching movies that are recommended in a tamil weekly "ananda vikatan" under a section called "world cinema". Some of the movies that really impressed me were...

Children of heaven

Cinema Paradiso

One more thing, i would like you to suggest movies that you had personally seen and liked it and not based on recommendation from others....
Quote:
3. Nuovo Cinema Paradiso (Italian) - directed by Giuseppe Tornatore. A brilliant movie. Follows the story of a successful movie director/producer in his younger days. This is cinema at its best. The relationship between Alfredo, an old projectionist and Toto, the young kid will pull all the strings of your heart.
MUST watch it.

Thats all folks.
Amitoj, Cinema Paradiso is one reason why I started this thread. Toto's voice still lingers in my ears. Just love the setting and the movie.... Last scene is just too good. A very nice experience indeed.

If you haven't watched Children of heaven yet, please watch it. You will not be disappointed.

On a side note, I think this is the first thread on Tbhp about cinema, but now that we have very active disucssions on hindi/english & malayalam cinema, I guess this thread has lost its relevance. Glad that you revived it.

regards
tifosi.
Old 7th July 2009, 15:16   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
If you haven't watched Children of heaven yet, please watch it. You will not be disappointed.

On a side note, I think this is the first thread on Tbhp about cinema, but now that we have very active disucssions on hindi/english & malayalam cinema, I guess this thread has lost its relevance. Glad that you revived it.
Oh yeah i have seen Children of Heaven. It is the most beautiful movie ever made, in my books. To take a simple story and show it so amazingly well is Majid Majidi's hallmark. Also, the way he can make non professional actors work for him is also unique. Baran is another of his such movies. Worth a watch.

Oh and it was TortoisenHare here who brought this thread to my attention. I had originally posted in English Movies thread only

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
I suppose the original name of the movie is Vivre Sa Vie. I sat down with my wife to watch it a couple of months back but after the first two episodes she got bored and I had to change the dvd. I have not yet completed the movie. I have two other Godard movies in my collection: Alphaville and Le Mepris. Both are comparatively easier to appreciate.
Hehe... yeah its best to watch these movies alone.

Yesterday i saw another of Godard's movies, Breathless (original name A Bout De Souffle). This movie is also much easier to watch. Its supposed to be fast paced. But in a very different manner. The story does move along but again, Godard's unique touch in direction gives the movie an edge.
Old 8th July 2009, 12:24   #186
Senior - BHPian

Saw Smultronstället (1957) yesterday. Its a gem of a movie from Ingmar Bergman and justifies why he is considered this era's greatest filmmaker. Called Wild Strawberries in English, the movie is about an aging professor, who has pushed all his relatives and friends out of his life and who is now forced to face his loneliness. The dream sequences of the movie will haunt the viewer for a long time. Travelling with his daughter in law (who by the way, is one of the most beautiful women i ever saw), the professor realises that he has made some wrong decisions in his life, about his life. But the store does end on a happy note.
Old 14th July 2009, 23:28   #187
Senior - BHPian

Just finished watching Bergman's Cries and Whispers Viskningar och rop (1972)

Couldn't find words to describe the film, so checked out what people more expressive than me have said about it on imdb. "Quietly disturbing work of genius" comes close. So does "haunting and shattering experience"

My admiration for Ingmar Bergman grows in leaps and bounds. And i am beginning to accept that he just may be the greatest film maker of this era.
Old 15th July 2009, 12:20   #188
Senior - BHPian

Hey Amitoj, where are you getting these movies? Downloads or DVD's?
Old 15th July 2009, 21:44   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hey Amitoj, where are you getting these movies? Downloads or DVD's?
I get them on rent from Cinema Paradiso in Koramangala. They have an outlet in Jayanagar too. They have a very nice collection.
Old 30th July 2009, 14:16   #190
Senior - BHPian

Any Akira Kurosawa fans out there in Bangalore? Check this out:
Screening Kurosawa’s classics | Art & Culture

However, i am surprised they are not screening Seven Samurais.
Old 31st July 2009, 14:50   #191
BHPian

Just discovered this thread......any Takashi Miike fans here? Miike is one of the most innovative, rebellious, irreverent and creative directors of our time.

My Favorite Miike movies are:

Ichi the Killer
Imprint
Gozu
Visitor Q
Audition

Want to see "Happiness of the Katakuris" relly bad but cant find it. Has anyone watched it?
Old 4th August 2009, 10:09   #192
BHPian

@hydrashock
Thanks dude for recommending The motorcycle diaries (Diarios de motocicleta original spanish, starring Gael Garcia Bernal as Che Guevara).

The movie starts with Che Gueavara and his biochemist friend starting off for an ambitious 8000 km tour of Latin America on an old 500cc Norton motorcycle. The movie depicts the defining moments during this tour in the early twenties of Che Guevara that had shaped him into the great revolutionary that he became.

Great acting, photography and direction and recommended as preparatory watch for Che part I and part II.
Old 4th August 2009, 12:34   #193
BHPian

No Miike fans??? Sad!!
Old 4th August 2009, 16:12   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I get them on rent from Cinema Paradiso in Koramangala. They have an outlet in Jayanagar too. They have a very nice collection.
Thanks for the pointer. Mind sharing their mode of business? I mean membership fees, rental price etc.? Sounds very interesting.
Old 4th August 2009, 16:27   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Thanks for the pointer. Mind sharing their mode of business? I mean membership fees, rental price etc.? Sounds very interesting.
Oh all that data has been erased from memory :-) best to call them.
The kind of movies i take on rent, they charge 100/- for 3 days. Used to be 75/- earlier.
All original prints though.

Most Viewed