Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2010, 09:54   #301
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
You meant Through a Glass Darkly, right?
Oopsy!!! Thanks for the correction.

Quote:
Bergman's movies have a horror of a totally different kind. Its real!
Aptly said. He doesn't go beyond Life to portray the image of death and disease. The scenes of suffering are so real and beautifully captured.

I forgot to mention one more thing about this movie. Beautiful Cinematography and the movie was made in 1961. Amazing!
Old 26th May 2010, 20:17   #302
BHPian

Children of Heaven

One of the best movie i have seen so far.
Old 27th May 2010, 09:19   #303
Senior - BHPian

My all time fav is The Good, the Bad and the Ugly! Am a huge Westerns fan.

Some other great ones that I can see again and again and again and ...

Schindler's list
The Shawshank Redemption
The Truman Show
Godfather series
Pink Panther Series (original Peter Sellers one)
Old 27th May 2010, 10:44   #304
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Winter Light

This film in the 'Faith' series questions the existence of God and his silence. The central character in the film is a Pastor/Clergyman who performs the regular church services but he himself is unsure about his very own beliefs, existence and expectations. His feelings become more evident during his interactions with his subjects and his mistress/friend.

This film strikes as a cold one and is supposed to be Bergman's favorite because of his strict Christian upbringing. Like the central character in the film, the pastor, he too questioned the blind faith and belief put in God and the logic behind it.

The way I could perceive the trilogy -

Through the Glass Darkly - Faith in Love and Is Love God or vice versa?
Winter Light - Is God really existent? If yes, Why is he silent and why does he make humans suffer?
The Silence - Faith in relationships and elders. Should faith be natural or forced among humans?

Through out the series, the stories have been well thought of, and the performances are simply brilliant. Collector's series for sure!
Old 27th May 2010, 12:34   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
This film in the 'Faith' series questions the existence of God and his silence. The central character in the film is a Pastor/Clergyman who performs the regular church services but he himself is unsure about his very own beliefs, existence and expectations. His feelings become more evident during his interactions with his subjects and his mistress/friend.

This film strikes as a cold one and is supposed to be Bergman's favorite because of his strict Christian upbringing. Like the central character in the film, the pastor, he too questioned the blind faith and belief put in God and the logic behind it.

The way I could perceive the trilogy -

Through the Glass Darkly - Faith in Love and Is Love God or vice versa?
Winter Light - Is God really existent? If yes, Why is he silent and why does he make humans suffer?
The Silence - Faith in relationships and elders. Should faith be natural or forced among humans?

Through out the series, the stories have been well thought of, and the performances are simply brilliant. Collector's series for sure!
The most impactful part of the movie for me was near the end where the pastor has a discussion with another preacher and that preacher tells the pastor what he thought about Jesus's last few hours.
Of course, the movie is littered with scenes that stay with you, like the opening scene in the church.
Old 27th May 2010, 13:49   #306
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The most impactful part of the movie for me was near the end where the pastor has a discussion with another preacher and that preacher tells the pastor what he thought about Jesus's last few hours.
Glad that you pointed out. This was an important scene and one could see what the Pastor was trying to do. But what did the conversation really convey in the film? Lack of faith or faith regardless of facts? Jesus's suffering during his dying hours - both feel that God had deserted him and the similar trauma was felt by those all around the pastor including himself although less painful.

And still they end up with the service! The pastor's next sentence in the lines of 'None is holier than Jesus Christ...' was ironical after what the pastor and preacher discussed.
Old 27th May 2010, 15:20   #307
BHPian

Spy Game was a very good movie and the Shawshank redemption are the top most in my cinema list.
Old 27th May 2010, 22:55   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
A GREAT movie. I think this was the first ever Marilyn Munroe movie I saw (I must have been 10 or so). I was totally mesmerized by her breathy (well, dumb-blonde-style) way of speaking, and of course by the way she looks.

And I think this is perhaps the very first movie with two crazy guys dressing up as women. I now have to watch it again today
It was the "inspiration" behind the hindi movie Rafuchakkar (starring Rishi kapoor). The hindi one is also a laugh riot...
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:40   #309
Senior - BHPian

Re: "pure Cinema"

"pure Cinema"-b7010539.jpg

Battleship Potemkin (1925)

Story of a mutiny that takes place aboard a Russian battleship and its impact on the town called Odessa where people rise up to celebrate the revolt against the Czarist regime. The citizens send food and supplies to the ship and gather on the pier to pay homage to one of the sailors who dies during the revolt. In perhaps the most famous scene in cinema history, Czarist troops are shown marching down the Odessa steps and firing at innocent citizens, massacring women, children, old people alike. There is a very chilling account of a mother asking for help from the troops to save her injured boy that she is carrying in her arms. She is also not spared. Another famous scene that will remind you of a very famous scene from Untouchables, is that of a mother sacrificing herself to protect her baby who is in a carriage. The carriage is then shown going down the steps.
After the massacre, the battleship retaliates by shooting down the army general's headquarters.
Later at night, the rest of the naval battleships are shown advancing on Potemkin. Just before the attack, however, Potemkin sends out a signal to the fleet, saying "JOIN US" and join them they do.

The movie is a through and through 1 hr 11 minutes of Soviet propaganda and is a good subject for anyone willing to study the influence of politics on Cinema. The movie was banned in many countries.

Personally, i would not recommend this movie to anyone looking for a good time pass. But if you want to watch a landmark movie in cinema history, then don't miss this one.
Old 27th October 2012, 14:41   #310
BHPian

Cool Hand Luke

"pure Cinema"-uiygt.jpg

Cool Hand Luke is the story about a prisoner named Luke who just cannot adapt to the prison life and refuses to abide by the rules set for the prisoners. Because of this character, he turns into an hero for the prisoners. The movie has it's share of humour, but that reduces as the movie advances towards a darker theme. Paul Newman is a great actor no doubt, but I rate this to be his best movie above Butch Cassidy and The Sting. A must watch for everyone!
Old 28th November 2012, 01:23   #311
Senior - BHPian

So I thought that Mulholland Drive was the most confusing, impossible to interpret, hard to digest movie.

Until I saw Andrzej Zulawski's Possession from 1981. Its the story of a marriage falling apart, with some bizarre twist, set in post war Germany. With nuclear power packed performances from the beautiful Isabelle Adjani who plays the wife Anna, and Sam Neill who plays the husband Mark, this movie will grab you by shoulders and not let you move till the end.
I have never seen such a movie with so many power packed performances.
Even Anna's alleged lover, Heinrich, who does not have too big a role, manages to hold his own among these two.
There is the famous scene where Anna has a miscarriage in a subway tunnel. That scene will haunt you for a long time. Rumor has it that Isabelle was so depressed after doing that scene that she even attempted suicide!
Talk about giving it your all huh!
Old 28th November 2012, 02:09   #312
Senior - BHPian

The most influential one for me has been the "The Matrix".
The storyline has me convinced at times that we indeed are living in a Matrix.
Old 28th November 2012, 03:08   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
The most influential one for me has been the "The Matrix".
The storyline has me convinced at times that we indeed are living in a Matrix.
I guess you have not seen The Dark City then? Released an year before Matrix?
Old 28th November 2012, 07:16   #314
Team-BHP Support

Hungarian movie 'FATELESS'.
Semi-autobiographical tale of a 14 year old Jewish boy in concentration camp.
Old 28th November 2012, 09:54   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Hungarian movie 'FATELESS'.
Semi-autobiographical tale of a 14 year old Jewish boy in concentration camp.
Rudro makes a recommendation!! Has to be a must watch then. Sadly, neither netflix nor hulu has it. Will have to source it from somewhere else.

Most Viewed