Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2012, 10:13   #316
Team-BHP Support

Re: "pure Cinema"

'The Tree of Life'. The film chronicles the origins and meaning of life
by way of a middle-aged man's childhood memories of his family living in 1950s Texas, interspersed with imagery of the origins of the universe and the inception of life on Earth. - From Wikipedia.

I loved it. Starring Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain and small portion by Sean Penn.

Film premiered in competition at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, where it won the Palme d'Or.
Old 28th November 2012, 10:25   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
'The Tree of Life'. The film chronicles the origins and meaning of life
by way of a middle-aged man's childhood memories of his family living in 1950s Texas, interspersed with imagery of the origins of the universe and the inception of life on Earth. - From Wikipedia.

I loved it. Starring Brad Pitt, Jessica Chastain and small portion by Sean Penn.

Film premiered in competition at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, where it won the Palme d'Or.
Sounds quite similar to Bergman's Wild Strawberries. Excerpt from wikipedia:
Wild Strawberries is a 1957 Swedish film written and directed by Ingmar Bergman, about an old man recalling his past. Because it tackles difficult questions about life, and thought-provoking themes such as self-discovery and human existence, the film is often considered to be one of Bergman's most emotional, optimistic and best films

Of course it does not have the technology driven CG and imagery that today's movies utilize. But it still managed to hit the nail on its head quite profoundly.
Old 8th March 2013, 14:14   #318
BHPian

Watched "Kanasemba Kudhureyaneri" (Riding a Stallion called Dream) last weekend.

The Kannada film (2010) by Dr Girish Kasaravalli shot entirely in Bijapur in North Karnataka won two awards for Best Screenplay and Best Feature Film in Kannada.

The film revolves around the grave digger, his wife and the village headman's family. The materialistic villagers trying to sell farms to "factory people", the innocence/beliefs of the grave digger and his wife, the priority the village headman's son on selling the farmland over conducting the last rites of his dead father are narrated beautifully.
Old 8th March 2013, 19:38   #319
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
Watched "Kanasemba Kudhureyaneri" (Riding a Stallion called Dream) last weekend.

The Kannada film (2010) by Dr Girish Kasaravalli shot entirely in Bijapur in North Karnataka won two awards for Best Screenplay and Best Feature Film in Kannada.

The film revolves around the grave digger, his wife and the village headman's family. The materialistic villagers trying to sell farms to "factory people", the innocence/beliefs of the grave digger and his wife, the priority the village headman's son on selling the farmland over conducting the last rites of his dead father are narrated beautifully.
Is this movie available on CD outside?
Old 8th March 2013, 19:55   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Is this movie available on CD outside?
Yes, the movie is available on CD. My brother in law told me he got it from Sapna book stall.
Old 8th March 2013, 20:58   #321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/revi...56C0A964948260
Ondanondu Kaladalli (1978)

This is my all time favourite, since 1978 till today.
Wanted to add some trivia on this movie, something I heard long time back.

In the late 70s Shankar Nag was very active in Mumbai theatre scene. He was asked to come to Bangalore for the above movie. Some how Shankar Nag mistook the invitation, and thought he will be the director for the movie. Upon arrival he was told he will play the Hero instead of director. He was pissed off and almost left, but he was forced to re-consider playing the hero. Thus Shankar Nag played his first movie role, and won the National award as best actor. After that there was no looking back.

This is the only movie ever made in Kannada that comes close to the quality of Kurosawa's Samurai movies.

Now the movie is available on Youtube:

Last edited by Samurai : 8th March 2013 at 21:04.
Old 9th March 2013, 12:20   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This is the only movie ever made in Kannada that comes close to the quality of Kurosawa's Samurai movies.
This description makes it tempting to watch, though not a big fan of Kurosawa's Samurai movies. (I liked his Ikiru, though)

Will there be a sub-titled version available? I can understand only a little Kannada

OT : Isnt your Avatar and signature a sort of Oxymoron?
Old 9th March 2013, 12:46   #323
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Will there be a sub-titled version available? I can understand only a little Kannada
I am trying to get the DVD myself. I'll let you know if it has sub-titles.

Quote:
Not really. One has to master the sword before one can resist the urge to unleash it. The avatar is in practice.
Old 9th March 2013, 13:04   #324
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
One has to master the sword before one can resist the urge to unleash it. The avatar is in practice.
If you like martial art movies, you should watch this. It epitomises the line that just wrote in your post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_(2002_film)

Quote:
Your link is pointing nowhere, but I do have that movie in my collection.
Fixed the link. Even I have that movie in collection. Another brilliant move about war strategy is Red Cliff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cliff_(film)

Last edited by ampere : 9th March 2013 at 13:15.
Old 9th March 2013, 13:08   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If you like martial art movies, you should watch this. It epitomises the line that just wrote in your post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hero_(2002_film)
Your link is pointing nowhere, but I do have that movie in my collection.
Old 9th March 2013, 13:35   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This description makes it tempting to watch, though not a big fan of Kurosawa's Samurai movies. (I liked his Ikiru, though)

Since it came on DD long time ago (Sunday afternoon, I still remember watching so many good movies from other languages thanks to DD), sub-titles should be available.
Old 11th March 2013, 20:20   #327
BHPian

Watched Emin Alper's "Beyond the Hill", which was the winner of the Caligari prize at the Berlinale in 2012. The film shot in Turkey is excellent in all aspects of cinematography.

Review in imdb.com:

Emin Alper's Beyond the Hill is a master class in film making and in particular the use of sound in movies. With a soundtrack composed of only natural sounds found in nature and without any music (except at the very last scene) Alper manages to build unbearable tension.

A small landowner has punished some people living beyond a hill whose goats were grazing in his land by taking one of their goats and killing it to make a feast for his son and grand sons who are visiting him. Will those people now take revenge and what form would that be? From the moment the landowner's family arrive Alper builds up the tension expertly and manages to maintain this tension throughout the film.

In the Q&A after the screening Alper confirmed that his film is a political allegory about Turkey and its neighbors. In parts it is reminiscent of Once Upon a Time in Anatolia and clearly Emin Alper is a name to watch out for.
Old 12th March 2013, 01:21   #328
BHPian

My list comprises of malayalam movies of the mid 80s to early 90s. Watched these movies as a kid and still love them after watching them hundreds of times on movie channels. So here is my list:
Nadodokattu, Pattanapravesham, Vadakkunokiyanthram, Yathra, Varavelppu, Manichitratazhu, Vasanthiyum Lakshmiyum pinne njanum.
The list is not exhaustive.
Malayalees will agree that the movies from the above period and those particularly scripted by Sreenivasan are classics.
I am surprised to see none of the members mention any classic movies of their mother tongue. I am sure there will be atleast a few movies that you could have mentioned. But all I could read about are Japanese, Polish, and Italian films.
I am not judging and don't want to start an argument but I expected to see a list of some good Indian movies. For example there are awesome movies in Marathi.
Sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edsel Rulez! View Post
Does any true-blue mallu here know where I can get hold of the movies of Adoor Gopalakrishnan? I've seen Mathilukal and Nizhalkuthu and was very impressed. I'd like to see more. Are they available on VCD or DVD? (PS: I'd prefer them with subtitles!)
From what I have seen so far I don't think this thread will be helpful if you like Indian movies. Only English, Japanese, Polish, Iranian, Korean, Italian films are listed.
Old 12th March 2013, 08:01   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
I am surprised to see none of the members mention any classic movies of their mother tongue. I am sure there will be atleast a few movies that you could have mentioned. But all I could read about are Japanese, Polish, and Italian films.
I am not judging and don't want to start an argument but I expected to see a list of some good Indian movies. For example there are awesome movies in Marathi.
Sad.
What is really sad is that you are judging without fully reading the thread. If you go back just a few posts, you could see me discussing a Kannada movie. Just before me, AltoLXI has discussed another Kannada movie.

Last edited by Samurai : 12th March 2013 at 08:34.
Old 12th March 2013, 09:22   #330
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
There is a regional movies thread to post on the movies of your mother tongue.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...es-thread.html

I think members post here irrespective of the language and genre to appreciate the art of cinema. And there are quite a few mentions of regional movies in this thread itself. Just need to scroll back and read carefully.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks