Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2009, 01:21   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

The 14th European Film Festival in India/ Emma's Glück

"pure Cinema"-picture-4_l.jpg

This evening I went to Fun Cinemas to see a German movie. Yes, in German (but with English subtitles)
I happened to see the brochure above while surfing. I was even more surprised to find that there was a movie in German playing this evening. Of course when I told Jenny she was overjoyed at the concept.

I called Fun Cinemas - ticket booking, but they had absolutely no idea what I was talking about.
I then emailed the European trade commission in Delhi and they responded in the affirmative, that there was indeed a European Film Festival at Fun Cinemas and they were showing a German movie called Emma's Bliss/ Emma's Glück (German name)

I sent them another email asking them where I could get tickets. The cultural officer replied with a little smiley saying it was free-of-charge.
I invited Gautam, who unfortunately could not come. Jenny invited 5 or 6 of her German friends and they were all there.

Apparently the film festival was a week long in each city, showing 2 movies a day, one at 6 and the other at 8pm.

As promised, we were given tickets absolutely free and finally we went to the movie. There must have been about 50 odd people in the cinema.

Here is the entire pdf brochure with a brief synopsis of each movie.

My movie review in the next post. I recommend you movie lovers to visit it in your city. It was really wonderful.
Delhi is over but Mumbai, Pune, Calicut, Chennai and Jamshedpur are still on. PLEASE make time and go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EUFilmFestival,property=Daten.pdf (1.09 MB, 459 views)

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 20th March 2009 at 01:24.
Old 20th March 2009, 01:35   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Emmas Glück (Emma's Bliss)

Emmas Glück. It has been a long time since I saw a movie that I enjoyed as much as this one.
The story is basic in nature, about a Farmgirl who is a social outcaste and a guy who is dying of cancer and how they meet and fall in love.

The directorial touches are amazing and many taboo-for-film topics are touched. It is a serious movie with touches of warm natural humour. I would recommend lovers of pure cinema to see it. I also enjoyed the film soundtrack immensely.
There is a car crash scene in the first 30 minutes that stands as one of the most wonderfully alternative points of view I could imagine.

Director Sven Taddicken is someone I will look out for in the future.

You can read more about the movie here. EMMAS GLÜCK

One warning: If you are squeamish about meat and blood and animal slaughter, specifically pigs - be warned, there is a bit of that in this film.

Overall you have my complete recommendation. Watch it or rent it or download it.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 20th March 2009 at 01:48.
Old 23rd March 2009, 13:36   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Bump. Anyone? Saw anything at the festival? Looks like a lot of cinema lovers here.
Old 23rd March 2009, 14:45   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

There was a Spanish Film Festival on similar lines in Hyderabad last week ( actually it ended yesterday). One of the Hyderabad TBHP member is a member of a film society and had invited quite a few of us for it.

I unfortunately could not attend but a few of them attended the Spanish films and did enjoy quite a bit.
Old 25th March 2009, 04:51   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
liked all of them in the list. but this one is my favourite.
Alice braga was hot then and hotter now.
The same director has come out with a movie last year
Blindness (2008)
Kind of like "Lord of the Flies" with adults. You will know what i mean when you see it. I liked it, but it is not to everyone's taste. A bit too real/honest/direct for most people(even if the setting is fictional)
Cool.
Will check it out.
Old 25th March 2009, 15:43   #156
BHPian

My favourites

Casablanca: love the pathos, watched it 7-8 times. Dream of starting a cafe to emulate Rick's!

More recent:

Black cat, white cat (Yugo or Croatian or whatever): hilarious, riot of fun, totally unexpected. Must watch.

More regular favourites: Four weddings & a funeral, the Mask, There's something about Mary, Guns of Navaronne

In the 'disturbing-but-powerful' category: Scarface, Black Rain.

The bizarre: Oh brother, where art thou? (love the music of Alison Krauss- sp?)
Old 25th March 2009, 19:45   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
The bizarre: Oh brother, where art thou? (love the music of Alison Krauss- sp?)
One of my favourite movies too! It is loosely based on the Odyssey (Odysseus's journey back home after the Trojan war). I got hooked onto American grassroots music from the time I watched this movie. Alison Krauss's voice and her music is indeed amazing. If you like the music from this movie, you'll like the music from 'Cold Mountain'.
Old 26th March 2009, 08:45   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
One of my favourite movies too! It is loosely based on the Odyssey (Odysseus's journey back home after the Trojan war). I got hooked onto American grassroots music from the time I watched this movie. Alison Krauss's voice and her music is indeed amazing. If you like the music from this movie, you'll like the music from 'Cold Mountain'.
hydrashok: Sir, I SAW Cold Mountain, but must have missed the music (if that's possible). I love Blue Grass...is Ms Krauss of that genre? Their banjo work is simply sublime.

On another note, have you ever heard Cesaria Evora? She's an old lady from the Azores or some remote island. Her people are so poor, she comes on stage barefoot to show solidarity. Gorgeous voice and music. She ranks up there on my charts, as also Miriam Makeba.
Old 26th March 2009, 08:51   #159
Team-BHP Support

My Favorites are -

Shawshank Redemption, Saving Private Ryan, The Green Mile, I am Sam, The Terminal, Forest Gump, The Untouchables and many more..
Old 26th March 2009, 16:43   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
hydrashok: Sir, I SAW Cold Mountain, but must have missed the music (if that's possible). I love Blue Grass...is Ms Krauss of that genre? Their banjo work is simply sublime.

On another note, have you ever heard Cesaria Evora? She's an old lady from the Azores or some remote island. Her people are so poor, she comes on stage barefoot to show solidarity. Gorgeous voice and music. She ranks up there on my charts, as also Miriam Makeba.
Yep, Cold Mountain also has a very good compilation of Bluegrass music. You should watch the movie again Alison Krauss has sung only one song in Cold Mountain (not 100% sure of this though), and that song is not exactly very 'bluegrassy'.There aren't any songs in Cold Mountain that really stand out like "Man of constant Sorrow" or the haunting "Down to the river to pray" from O Brother..., but overall the music builds ambience in the movie very well, and is very enjoyable by itself too.

Bluegrass is mostly music of the sad and despondent, but to me, Pain and Longing are things music has always expressed most beautifully.

Alison Krauss is absolutely the Queen of Bluegrass. I'd never heard of her before I saw O Brother... but for quite a while after watching the movie. Though not her typical kind of music, Raising Sand, the album that that she cut with Robert Plant (this year's album of the year) is a nice listen.

I haven't yet listened to music by those ladies you've mentioned, but I will check their music out. Thanks for the heads up I'll quit rambling now before this goes 100% OT, heh heh
Old 26th March 2009, 17:14   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Just finished watching " Death Proof".

Exquisite Tarantino stuff. Some nice muscle cars in it as well.
Sorry Gautam, one of the most third class I've seen in my life.

Another really good italian one 'IL POSTINO' as The postman.
Old 26th March 2009, 17:49   #162
BHPian

Quentin Tarantino likes to drink blood, take bath in blood....or so it seems from his movies. For some strange reason, he thinks everyone is like him. KILL BILL must be one of the grossest / point-less movies i've ever watched.

:(

Last edited by Torqy : 26th March 2009 at 17:50.
Old 26th March 2009, 17:57   #163
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Sorry Gautam, one of the most third class I've seen in my life.
Tarantino glorifies the blood and gore excessively, as usual, and the movie really lacks a point. I still enjoyed it a lot

Basic question here is-What is art? Tarantino movies have their own attraction. deathproof is not his best effort, but the style is interesting.
I got the feeling he was poking fun at/paying homage to, the genre of 'exploitation" films

Old 26th March 2009, 18:24   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
KILL BILL must be one of the grossest / point-less movies i've ever watched.

:(
Kill Bill was a collage of Tarantino's favourite movie styles. It was self-indulgent and the humour was Tarantino-esque in its own way.

Was it pointless? Much of good cinema is.
Old 26th March 2009, 18:45   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
... I'd never heard of her before I saw O Brother... but for quite a while after watching the movie.
Uh, EDIT: but for quite a while after watching the movie, all I listened to was her songs.

Lesson: Quick editing on the phone right after you post is a dangerous exercise.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks