Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2009, 12:19   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Any reviews on Majidi's Colour of Paradise?
I just watched for about 20 mins yesterday and it was really nice.
Can't go wrong with Majidi. Did you watch the rest of the film?

Yesterday i watched another masterpiece from Bergman, Persona

Persona (1966)

A nurse, Alma (Bibi Andersson) is assigned to take care of an actress Elisabet Volga (Liv Ullman) who for inexplicable reasons, has decided to not speak a single word. The actress, in the middle of a performance, just goes quiet and has not spoken a word for 3 months, when Alma is assigned to her. Since the doctor doesnt find anything mentally or physically wrong with Elisabet, she moves Elisabet and Alma to a seaside country cottage. To fill the silence, Alma starts talking about her past and bares herself open to Elisabet, who still doesnt speak. Soon Alma finds herself transitioning into Elisabet and at one point, it becomes difficult to tell one from another.

This movie is right next to Cries and Whispers as far as brilliance in direction, acting, cinematography and audio goes. In a way, it is actually a subtle horror film too.

Another Bergman classic that will stay with the viewer for a long time.
Old 18th September 2009, 13:18   #212
BHPian

Few movies i watched in the recent past:
1) Saving private ryan
2) Pyscho ( Both 1st and 2nd part)
3) Hitch (will smith is fantastic)
4) Death proof (uff, kert russell{stuntman mike} was banged by those gals)
5) Kalloori (Tamil, its a fantastic movie, i have fallen in love with the actress tamanna)
6) Milana( Kannada movie)
Old 18th September 2009, 22:19   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Persona (1966)
Forgot to mention, Mulholland Dr was largely inspired by this movie.
Old 22nd September 2009, 09:12   #214
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can't go wrong with Majidi. Did you watch the rest of the film?

No buddy! My wife misplaced the movie and am unable to find it. Let me do a search this week.

Quote:

Persona (1966)
Thanks for the review. Another movie from the genius to look forward to.

Sawdust and Tinsel

One of Bergman's earlier works (1953). Albert Johansson is a lost man in the carnival circus world. Lost in his thoughts, lost in his identity, lost his family and doesn't know what to look forward to. He despises his own circus show and the people in it but has nothing else he can rely on to continue his life. He tries his luck again with his wife who rejects him, tries suicide but fails. Along with him, his circus colleagues have all developed this miserable attitude towards life most noticably his girlfriend Anne. Both of them are looking for greener pastures which are hard to come by and go through trauma and emotions which is brilliantly captured by the master director.

I read some of the reviews online and many feel that this movie was the beginning of a masterclass in act in the display of human emotions - jealousy, sexual humiliation and encounters with death.

One just cannot avoid Bergman. He is truly a genius far far ahead of his times. Which leads me to me ask - Do we have any more Bergmans and Kurosawas left among us?
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:40   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One just cannot avoid Bergman. He is truly a genius far far ahead of his times. Which leads me to me ask - Do we have any more Bergmans and Kurosawas left among us?
I doubt it. There are some who might be called worthy followers, like David Lynch perhaps, but none of the same intensity. Bergman's stories are quite simple and yet the emphasis on each character of the story is spellbinding!

I still have two movies of his lined up, The Silence and The Hour of the Wolf. But i am still recovering from Persona
Old 22nd September 2009, 12:55   #216
BHPian

Hi JVH & Amitoj: By reading your posts, one gets the intensity you have carried & a liking you have shown on Bergmans movies, I would appreciate if you let me know where in Blore do you buy or rent them

PS: I watched the movie Drunken Angel yday from Akira Kurosawa, its a 1948 release & worth a watch
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:50   #217
JVH
Senior - BHPian

crn12,

I bought Bergmain's collection from e-bay.

IIRC, Amitoj rents movies either in Koramangala or Jayanagar. He'll be able to tell you the exact location.

Yes, Drunken Angel is a nice movie indeed. I had watched it about a year ago.

BTW, welcome to the Bergman club!
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:03   #218
Senior - BHPian

Yup, Cinema Paradiso in Koramangala. It is close to the National Games Village.
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:43   #219
Senior - BHPian

Hey Amitoj,
there is a Cinema Paradiso at Jayanagar also. Have you tried that place? How is the collection there?
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:45   #220
BHPian

Thanks for the welcome JVH
Amitoj: Where in Jayanagar is this, I live in Jyngr & Is it the Ebay India site where we can order this from.
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:53   #221
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
& Is it the Ebay India site where we can order this from.
I am sensing this question is for me. Nope, I never buy anything from India site. The collection was bought from an Australian site. You will also find deals in UK and US sites but their shipping charges are more.

P.S - I'm all for renting but am a lazy bum at the same time. I prefer sitting and buying stuff for I know that I'm buying for the collection. I rarely buy stuff if it doesn't go into the collection.

Since you are in Jayangar, I think renting would be the best option for you.
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:10   #222
BHPian

Quote:
I am sensing this question is for me. Nope, I never buy anything from India site. The collection was bought from an Australian site. You will also find deals in UK and US sites but their shipping charges are more.

P.S - I'm all for renting but am a lazy bum at the same time. I prefer sitting and buying stuff for I know that I'm buying for the collection. I rarely buy stuff if it doesn't go into the collection.

Since you are in Jayangar, I think renting would be the best option for you.
Thanks JVH. & yes the qs was for you, apparently I got it mixed up. I think I would rent it out to see one of his movies & then probably go in for the collection, I hope I like it!
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:16   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Hey Amitoj,
there is a Cinema Paradiso at Jayanagar also. Have you tried that place? How is the collection there?
Hi Kaushik

I went to the one in Jayanagar only once. I got a feeling that Koramangala one is better stocked. I prefer Koramangala because i only need to take a small detour on my way back from work to go there.

There is also another store called Channel 9 in that area. Google for that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Amitoj: Where in Jayanagar is this, I live in Jyngr
Its somewhere in 4th block:

Cinema Paradiso on Google
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:26   #224
Senior - BHPian

Some more classics:
Kurosawa's Ran, Rashomon and Throne of Blood
Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring - need to be seen together and in that order - the best of France in one of the best French movies
Les Diaboliques - great atmosphere, the original ending with a twist, out Hitchcocking Hitchcock.
Z - still a great political thriller
Eight women - classy French actresses at the top of their game
Tristana - Luis Bunuel directs Catherine Denueve and Fernando Rey. Rey is very good, as is Deneuve
M - can't believe that it is a movie made in 1930, still seems fresh
More to follow...much of Hollywood pales into insignficance compared to these offerings.
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:38   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Eight women - classy French actresses at the top of their game
I saw this on the telly some days back. I was amazed at the speed with which the skeletons were tumbling out of the closets! Great acting by all, but the ending was a bit damp.

You seem to have a preference for French cinema and yet no mention of JeanLuc Godard? or Truffaut? Will they be part of "more to follow... " ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks