Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2006, 21:24   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
How many of you here have seen 'THE HOUR'?
You mean 'The Hours'?
Old 13th December 2006, 21:27   #17
Team-BHP Support

OOooops, sorry Mohit. Yes that's right.
Old 13th December 2006, 22:09   #18
BHPian

Has someone watched Patch Adams? Simple beautiful and touching. Loved the movie.
Old 13th December 2006, 22:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

I haven't seen The Hours yet. I'd read the screenplay a while back though, and liked it. Dunno why I haven't gotten down to see it yet. Especially as Ed Harris and Meryl Streep are two actors I like a lot.

And I remember a whole lot of oscar nominations. If I'm not mistaken Nicole Kidman won the best actress for this movie. She either had a great makeup man or she got a nose job for the movie. That's another thing I remember.

I will try to find it this weekend.

I just now watched "Touch of Evil" (Dir--Orson Welles). I was lucky to get the Director's cut (not the version Welles disavowed after the movie was mangled by the studio for commercial release). Starring Welles himself and Charlton Heston. B&W movie made in the '50s. A great example of the Noir genre. Unbelievable camera work. Far ahead of its time. And, they show cars driven like never before in a movie shot during that time. So much dynamism. I think they mounted cams on the bonnets and the boot lids to shoot the drives (no full blooded chases in the movie). Great movie overall if you like the dark and shadowy noir style. I really liked it.
Old 13th December 2006, 23:02   #20
Team-BHP Support

OK, check out an old one from Spielberg's: DUEL
Cheap project from his early days with massive impact.
Old 13th December 2006, 23:13   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OK, check out an old one from Spielberg's: DUEL
Cheap project from his early days with massive impact.
Sheeesh! Now that's another one I haven't seen or heard of. I definitely will try and get this one. This is good! In just half a day, I already have a small list of movies to look for! :-)
Old 13th December 2006, 23:16   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Sheeesh! Now that's another one I haven't seen or heard of. I definitely will try and get this one. This is good! In just half a day, I already have a small list of movies to look for! :-)
May not be so easy to get one...
Year end offer: Come to Bangalore. Meet me and take a copy.
Old 13th December 2006, 23:22   #23
BHPian

My Sassy Girl ( a jap movie) - Wonderful movie. saw it eng subtitles. Had to see the movie first and watched it again reading the subtitiles .

Oceans eleven & 12.
Old 13th December 2006, 23:26   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
May not be so easy to get one...
Year end offer: Come to Bangalore. Meet me and take a copy.
Thanks! You know, I may just take you up on that :-)
Old 13th December 2006, 23:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Malena (Tornatore--Dir, Monica Belucci. Droooooooolllll.... Third or fourth viewing. Gets better each time.)
hydra, watched malena just now...nice movie, ended well..... would it be in my list of best movies?.........ummmm dont think so.

Quote:
Panini e' tulipani - A beautiful movie, called bread and tulips. See the original italian with english subs, the overdub is crap.
sam, i asked for this movie and the guy at the dvd rental (cinema paradiso-name of the shop in chennai) gave me a strange look. how do i watch it man???

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 13th December 2006 at 23:40.
Old 14th December 2006, 13:04   #26

Hi,
As eveybody else who posted on this, I am also a big movie buff! As we keep moving through the time line, our preferences keep changing.. I was watching only action movies initially but I am more into plot / comedy / off beat movies (though not tried non-english movies yet).. Some of the (non main stream) ones I like are
* Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
* Match Point
* Memento
* Thank You For Not Smoking
* Leaving Las Vegas
* LOTR
* The trip series (Euro, Road,..)
* I am sure I am missing some more but I will surely post as and when I remember

PS: After watching so many movies, I have told myself the only tribute that I can pay for movie world to give them the much desrved treatment and so bough a (spare me for not being modest!) projector + 100" screen + Receiver with 5.1!!
Old 14th December 2006, 17:39   #27
BHPian

I just love war movies and recently I had been to watch the movie, The Downfall (Der Untergang). It was german with subtitles. Watching this movie sent a chill down my spine. You feel like u r right in fuhrerbunker with hitler during the last days of his life. Awesome reality! Highly recommended.
Old 14th December 2006, 19:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

wiking, you will love Das Boot. German movie. Director's Cut runs to 3+ hours, but you'll not feel it when you watch it. Its about a German U Boat crew.

satishfaction, all those movies are ones I have liked too. Memento is up there in my favourites list. If you liked it, you'll like 21 Grams (Dir--Innaritu; Sean Penn, Benicio Del Toro & Naomi Watts). Same discontinuous edit style. It is as enjoyable as it is moving. The Butterfly Effect (Ashton Kutcher) is also in the same genre, though it is not the discontinuous edit style. Whoops, I almost forgot Mulholland Drive (Dir-- David Lynch; Naomi Watts). Another great, great movie that you'll enjoy on a different level each time you watch it.

The "Trip" series is a real side-ripper. I remember I watched the two - Roadtrip & Eurotrip back-to-back. Not exactly what we'd call cinema for the discerning, but very very enjoyable neverthless. It appeals to the adolescents still inside us (in me, at any rate). Which is why I still enjoy the American Pie series (the first 3, at any rate). :-P

My all-time favourite listing for today is Lost in Translation (Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson - mmmmmmmm...).

Last edited by hydrashok : 14th December 2006 at 19:50.
Old 14th December 2006, 20:22   #29
BHPian

hydra, i guess i would have less english movies in my whole life than what you have seen in the past one month.....woow.

Quote:
PS: I have a portable BPL tv (colour) and thats the only tv in my house.
Doctor, you have a company in me. my better half and i used to watch movies in my laptop with an ear phone.... Digital Surround 1.2 , (one ear phone shared by two of us).
Old 14th December 2006, 20:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
My all-time favourite listing for today is Lost in Translation (Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson - mmmmmmmm...).
I LOVE this movie. Just watched it again Twice last week!! The direction, setting, Bill & Scarlett work on so many levels it's beautiful. And as a traveller there were some parts I could really indentify with! And of course there's Scarlett Nothing much to say about her apart from drooling!!

Most Viewed