Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2007, 23:39   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimwian View Post
Before Sunrise & Before Sunset - Loved them... awesome screenplay, impossibly long uninterrupted shots, great chemistry between the leads
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
And thanks for pointing me to "Before sunset". I didn't know it existed. Lemme see if I can find it
********************** SPOILER ALERT **********************

Just watched "Before sunset". Had it with me for 3 days before I could will myself to watch it. Its funny, I know. I keep getting the same feeling Ethan Hawke would have felt at the end of "Before Sunset" each time I even think about the movie (though I last watched it about 2 years back). And so it was difficult for me to begin watching "Sunset".

I loved it. Especially the way it ended. A lot more hope than the first one. If fact it ended perfectly this time. I really don't know how a movie like this could have been made so perfectly. And I still can't decide which one is better -- Sunrise, or Sunset. The perfect mix of lead characters, director, screenplay and location. I've never identified so much with the characters of a movie so much as I have in these two movies. And the thing is, I hate romantic movies.

Julie Delphy does look older in "Sunset". I think she looked a lot better in "Sunrise". But she still rocks. And like I said before, she is a Goddess!
Old 16th June 2007, 23:46   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
OK, check out an old one from Spielberg's: DUEL
Cheap project from his early days with massive impact.
Oh, I have seen this one. One crazy thriller. I don't remember the ending anymore, he somehow traps the truck driver into an accident I think.

Any Kurosawa fans here? I have the Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, Yojimbo and The Hidden Fortress on DVD.

All four movies feature Toshirô Mifune, my all time favourite action hero after Bruce Lee.

Clint Eastwood's A Fistful of Dollars is a remake of Yojimbo.
The Magnificent Seven is the remake of Seven Samurai.
Star wars was heavily inflenced by Hidden Fortress. The characters of C3PO and R2D2 were based on the two peasants in Hidden Fortress. Our own C3PO and R2D2 take note.

Last edited by Samurai : 17th June 2007 at 00:01.
Old 16th June 2007, 23:53   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Oh, I have seen this one. One crazy thriller. I don't remember the ending anymore, he somehow traps the truck driver into an accident I think.

Yes, the truck driver chasing the car loses control and fall into a gorge and dies.

one amazing movie.
Old 29th June 2007, 23:34   #79
BHPian

watched Sabrina (old one) and Notting Hill. Both films were very good.

Sabrina though not in the league of Casablanca, but still is worth watching for the dialogues and performance by the lead artists.
Old 29th June 2007, 23:57   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Any Kurosawa fans here? I have the Seven Samurai, Sanjuro, Yojimbo and The Hidden Fortress on DVD.

All four movies feature Toshirô Mifune, my all time favourite action hero after Bruce Lee.
7 Samurai, Hidden Fortress, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, Rashomon, High and Low, Dersu uzala and some others which I don't remember now, all from Netflix.

Now we get a KungFu HD channel and I watch any movie that stars Toshiro Mifune in it. He is as good in civilian movies as he is in samurai movies.

I would recommend you watch Dersu Uzala if you haven't already. You would need 3+ hours of spare time and loads of patience, but its worth it.

Last edited by Mayavi : 29th June 2007 at 23:58.
Old 30th June 2007, 00:03   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Star wars was heavily inflenced by Hidden Fortress. The characters of C3PO and R2D2 were based on the two peasants in Hidden Fortress. Our own C3PO and R2D2 take note.
Being a SW fan, I must agree here. Lucas was heavily influenced by the style of Kurosawa's Hidden Fortress, where the two most insignificant (or so it seems) characters are constants through a very dynamic story.
The viewpoint is more or less their, practically a passive narration.

As in the Star Wars movies, (in chronological order) R2 and Threepio feature in every episode.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 30th June 2007 at 00:05.
Old 14th July 2007, 15:52   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
Snatch. Truly a brilliantly funny movie. Wifey & me have been watching it at least once a fortnight since the past 2 years, & it's yet to grow old. Dennis Farina, Lennie James, Alan Ford, Brad Pitt, Benicio Del Toro & all the others - and the dog - every one of the priceless star cast has done a superb job. And the humour is to die for.
elf, watched it last night and was really superb. already watched a few scenes again today morning. thanks for the reco.
Old 14th July 2007, 16:32   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosikrishna View Post
elf, watched it last night and was really superb. already watched a few scenes again today morning. thanks for the reco.
Dunno if this was mentioned before, but if you liked Snatch, you'll also like:
- Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels (another Guy Ritchie Movie)
- LayerCake (Starring Daniel Craig)
- The 51st State (Starring Samuel L Jackson and Robert Carlyle)
Old 15th July 2007, 12:19   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Lock,Stock and 2 smoking barrels and snatch, you can watch them again and again and don't get bored. Its the accent that makes these movies interesting.
Old 16th July 2007, 11:12   #85
BHPian

last evening Saw Die hard 4.0, simply loved it... great stunts...Burce willis is still rocks..... Offtopic: wifey loved the action movie
Old 16th July 2007, 12:35   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the truck driver chasing the car loses control and fall into a gorge and dies.

one amazing movie.
Is it the same movie where Kurt Russel and his wifey drive from East Coast to West Coast and is hounded by a truck driver who kidnaps the wifey and the end is same, truck falls in a gorge and trucker dies. Great Thriller, one of the best.
Old 3rd September 2007, 23:37   #87
BHPian

just finished watching Shawshank redemption after recomendations by our friends here in this thread.... thanks mates, it was an excellent and very touching.

regards
tifosi.
Old 3rd September 2007, 23:54   #88
Senior - BHPian

Oh that's a lovely movie but at times it gets very, very depressing. Must watch even though, fabulous movie.
Old 25th November 2007, 23:52   #89
BHPian

its been long since i updated this thread. watched some real good movies meanwhile. notable ones are...

some like it hot - 1959 oscar winning movie and is in the list of best comedy movies ever made. true to its reputation, its a laugh riot. definitely worth watching.

umm... forgot the name of the other movie i wanted to recommend. its a french movie about a relationship between father and his estranged son and is set in canada. it is about a son taking care of his terminally ill father.

shall post the name when i remember.

regards
tifosi.
Old 25th November 2007, 23:54   #90
Senior - BHPian

V for vendetta.Period,no other movie comes close .. watched it 14 times over!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks