Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2006, 16:15   #1
BHPian

"pure Cinema"

Hello friends, Share here some of the best movies that you have ever watched.

It could be in any language, any genre.... movies that made you move to the edge of the seat (not walk out of the seat), made you laugh your a** out, made you cry, made you empathise with the characters.....

Off late, i have been watching movies that are recommended in a tamil weekly "ananda vikatan" under a section called "world cinema". Some of the movies that really impressed me were...

Children of heaven

Cinema Paradiso

One more thing, i would like you to suggest movies that you had personally seen and liked it and not based on recommendation from others....
Old 13th December 2006, 16:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

My recent ones (I see 9-10 movies a week so, I'll list just the ones I liked from say last 30 days):

An Unfinished Life (Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman, Jennifer Lopez)
The Third Man (Carol Reed --Dir; Joseph Cotten, Orson Welles)
All the Real Girls (Zooey Deschanel)
Maria Full of Grace (Joshua Marston --Dir; Catalina Moreno; My umpteenth viewing)
Malena (Tornatore--Dir, Monica Belucci. Droooooooolllll.... Third or fourth viewing. Gets better each time.)
Gosford Park (Robert Altman -- Dir; second viewing, loved it even better)
MatchPoint (Woody Allen-Dir; Scarlett Johansson-- YUMMY!)

tifosikrishna, I LOVE cinema paradiso. Been a year or so since I saw it last. Your makes me want to see it again :-). I'll be watching Volver this weekend. Looking forward to it.

BTW, I have nearly all of the IMDB top 200 on DVD. Total DVD collection now exceeds 1000 nos. I just *LOVE* movies!
Old 13th December 2006, 16:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Malena (Tornatore--Dir, Monica Belucci. Droooooooolllll.... Third or fourth viewing. Gets better each time.)
YES YES YES!!!

Old 13th December 2006, 17:43   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
My recent ones (I see 9-10 movies a week so, I'll list just the ones I liked from say last 30 days):
Hydra, do all the movies that you had mentioned here would be in your list all time best that you had watched.... liking a movie is one thing, but something that endears with you for a long time is another.... i would like you to recommend only such movies.Hope you understand.

On the same note, my knowledge about movies is very very minimal, perhaps all the movies that you had suggested are classics, if that is the case, please ignore my post.

regards
tifosi.
Old 13th December 2006, 17:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Not much of an English movie buff, though I do watch quite some of them.

Mallu movies from a few years ago (not the current crap that they are doling out) are what do it for me. True to life, with the actors just living (not acting) their roles, crafted to perfection by some real great directors and scriptwriters.

Personal favourite is "Oru vadakkan veeragadha". Can never tire of seeing it. The way the creators take a piece of history and explore an alternate angle of looking at something that over the years had been taken for a fact, is just awesome.

The only thing where Mallu movies lag behind is when it comes to music and choreography and here there is no one to beat Tamil movies.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 13th December 2006 at 17:59.
Old 13th December 2006, 17:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yes, tifosikrishna. These movies will always be in my favourites list. I will never tire of watching them.

Most of these movies are not exactly commercial ones. Except for An Unfinished Life which I think is an undiscovered gem, and Matchpoint, (which shows infidelity, its consequences, and the extreme steps man takes to be rid of mistakes caused by lust) the others are acknowledged classics of cinema. The two I have mentioned above are personal favourites which may or may not be enjoyed by others.

I love this thread. I will go through my DVD index and post all my faves a few at a time.

Like music, movies too need to be discovered through sharing of info. I am dead sure there must be hundreds of movies I haven"t heard of yet, that I will enjoy immensely if I just get to know about them, find them and watch them. Post away, folks. :-)
Old 13th December 2006, 18:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

V for Vendetta (loved this movie..have it on DVD )
Munich (same as above)
Troy ( Eric Bana was the true star of this movie).

Will post more as and when I remember them
Old 13th December 2006, 19:24   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Panini e' tulipani - A beautiful movie, called bread and tulips. See the original italian with english subs, the overdub is crap.

I'm a movie buff too, which is why, any movie lover will understand why i wrote my top ten movies and wiped it out. I can't post and list movies. Don't know where to begiin and when to end.

Cinema Paradiso (pronounced chinema, please) - completely gorgeous. Most Italian cinema is.

I'm also a bid Star Wars universe buff, the 6 movies, the original trilogy, behind the scenes, Sith and Jedi History (I love Darth Bane and the old sith lineage and History), new republic and extended universe (especially the return of Emperor Palpatine and years around it, before his next death). Any fellow buffs here?

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 13th December 2006 at 19:28.
Old 13th December 2006, 19:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
See the original italian with english subs, the overdub is crap.
They always are. I never watch a dubbed movies if I can help it. Only the subbed ones for me. And I haven't seen Panini e' tulipani. Will look it up.

Speaking of Italian cinema, Bertolucchi & Tornatore are GODS! The Spanish directors (Almodovar, Innaritu, Cuaron etc) come only next. Italian movies are more lyrical than any other. I love that!

Quote:
I'm also a bid Star Wars universe buff, the 6 movies, the original trilogy, behind the scenes, Sith and Jedi History (I love Darth Bane and the old sith lineage and History), new republic and extended universe (especially the return of Emperor Palpatine and years around it, before his next death). Any fellow buffs here?
Yowtch! Now these are the exceptions for me. I never did get the Star Wars thing at all. Probably I was born too late for that (1977). I'm a big LOTR and Matrix guy, though :-)

Last edited by hydrashok : 13th December 2006 at 19:38.
Old 13th December 2006, 19:35   #10
GTS
BHPian

Tifosi, an awesome thread bud! Man, you have the uncanny knack of coming up with lovely threads. ('what ice what price') etc

My all time fav is the Godfather series especially the first one.

My dream: I want one week off, preferably in Kumarakkom (Kerala) or Goa. Watch wonderful movies. Have great grub. Sleep peacefully. Wake up and go through cycle again. (Whoopsy daisy I forgot to mention about a svelte babe's company)

Rgds
GTS

PS: I have a portable BPL tv (colour) and thats the only tv in my house.
Old 13th December 2006, 19:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS View Post
My dream: I want one week off, preferably in Kumarakkom (Kerala) or Goa. Watch wonderful movies. Have great grub. Sleep peacefully. Wake up and go through cycle again. (Whoopsy daisy I forgot to mention about a svelte babe's company)
Exactly what I want to do till I die, after I retire. [In 31 years. Grrrr...].

Quote:
I have a portable BPL tv (colour) and thats the only tv in my house.
I watch all my movies on my PC. Ok, on a 19" widescreen. My Dad doesn't like the more exotic ones and the very old ones. Only the ones we watch together do I watch on the family HT. We watch one movie together every day, BTW :-) Now that seems to be the only common activity I get to do with my Dad :-( I personally prefer the PC, though. I enjoy the movies better when I'm watching them alone. No funny comments or "it should have been done this way" or "Is this director a fool?" etc from fellow movie watchers.

Last edited by hydrashok : 13th December 2006 at 19:53.
Old 13th December 2006, 20:07   #12
Senior - BHPian

My All Time Favourites

Saving Private Ryan
Schindlers List
Forrest Gump

Quote:
Drive down on ECR towards Pondy, find this place called "The DUNE " abt 500 mtrs from the toll booth(Pondy side). You can pamper yourself with the beach and movies. Great place to be in because they have some amazing collection of movies.
Old 13th December 2006, 20:59   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Cinema Paradiso (pronounced chinema, please) - completely gorgeous. Most Italian cinema is.
Cinema paradiso already seems to be a favourite for many.... i just loved the way relationship between salvatore and the projectionist (alfredo) is portrayed... fantastic.

Another highlight of the move is the background score... especially the last scene where salvatore views the collection of censored scenes presented by alfredo.
Old 13th December 2006, 21:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

oh yeah...how can I forget LOTR ?? Simply stupendous ! but nothing compared to the books though...
Old 13th December 2006, 21:12   #15
Team-BHP Support

How many of you here have seen 'THE HOUR'?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks