Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is your preferred option for generating a secondary source of income?
Hobby like Photography 4 6.06%
Youtube Channel 5 7.58%
Stocks/Trading 40 60.61%
Affiliate Marketing 6 9.09%
Rent Property and chillax 33 50.00%
Any other option (please describe) 5 7.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2020, 15:37   #31
BHPian

Re: Jobs are a single point of failure! The need to supplement salary income

I know of a police constable who doubles up as a cook. A machine operator in my previous employer used to double up as an aquarium cleaner. A college mate is an IT pro and is also an avid painter, who pre covid was thinking seriously of quitting his IT job to become a full time artist and continue to freelance as a programmer. The corona situation has badly damaged their second source of incomes but their primary source is still ticking. So , guys, put all your efforts in keeping your daily Job!. Its not like having a beater car and another car for weekend pleasure drives. For most of us , income is a one car situation.

Last edited by srini1785 : 2nd December 2020 at 15:40.
srini1785 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 18:57   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

For those of us who need additional income the best most practical source is a spouse who works outside the home or runs an income generating service from the home. Our parents who earned, in real terms, less than us for the most part and often on one income per family did manage to bring us up and build/buy a house to live in. It is difficult but not by that much for what is a car owning group {Team BHP members}. Also contrary to what people believe household appliances, cars, two-wheelers, furniture, even clothes today are cheaper, yes cheaper than in the 1980s when I set up home first time*. Other than accommodation real costs have come down and real wages have gone up for the typical Team BHP member. What has changed is our spending habits, they have gone through the roof. Nothing wrong in that per se' but I notice a tendency in some to assume the good times will roll forever. Covid19 and the economy tanking has brought a moment of pause for many who overdid the EMI bit.

* 165 litre fridge ~Rs 4500 ie Rs 55,000 today; Washing machine Rs 5500 ie Rs 66,000 today; Premier Padmini Rs 130,000 ie Rs 16 lakhs today!!!!
V.Narayan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 19:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
We also have a hand-writing expert who comes home on weekends (1 hour a day, Rs. 5,000 per month). That's because my son's handwriting looks like this
You are ruining his chances of becoming a doctor tomorrow
Jaguar is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 14:37   #34
BHPian

Opening a new part-time line of Income

Hey experts,

I am an Engineering Student and I would like to have some sort of income for personal expenses. I am heavily dependent on my parents, and would like to contribute something or at least reduce my load on their expenses.

I really want to have a small source of income (however small it may be) so I can continue DIYs and modifications on my car.

Due to COVID, college has shifted online and a lot of time is saved in travelling and hanging out with friends. I have found that I can easily spare 4-6 hours every day.

Being in love with my car, I have gained expertise in detailing, washing, and doing some electrical and mechanical work really well. And hence, I would like to work on other people's cars and earn something on the side.

I thought of doing detailing jobs, as I have most of the tools and products already available. Even working in a car wash, or accessories store for a few hours every week will do.

Any ideas, or advice from all of you would be really welcome.

Thanks!
city2491 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 14:45   #35
Senior - BHPian

Re: Opening a new part-time line of Income

Very mature and creditable, that you want to pull your weight and help out your parents. One thing that you could start is home visits for vehicle detailing in your immediate neighbourhood. It will be easy to spread the word about your services just by printing a few pamphlets, and you might get a few orders just based on your friend/acquaintance circle to start with.

Some related threads for you to browse through:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...-income-2.html (Jobs are a single point of failure! The need to supplement salary income)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...start-ups.html (Great New Business Ideas for Start Ups!)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...s-savings.html (Are most of us living on the edge? Let's talk about income, expenses & savings)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 29th December 2020 at 14:58.
comfortablynumb is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th June 2021, 22:44   #36
BHPian

Any simple work from home jobs for women and teens?

Hi.
Does anyone know about legit work from home jobs, which are useful for housewives and teenagers alike? Just to have some pocket money. Something like typing jobs or anything that requires a PC/mobile phone.

A small note : if anyone comes accross a platform that says LWB technology, run away. It's not safe. I've lost my money in it.
saitvsk23 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2021, 21:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

https://www.mturk.com/worker . Given that this is run by Amazon and has been running for quite a few years; worth a try.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks