Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2019, 00:37   #166

@Ithaka: Mrityunjay is indeed a classical in Marathi. Mr Savant had received GNYANPEETH award for the book. I would suggest you read Yugandhar first . Mrityunjay is the most mesmerising book I have ever read. I remember while reading this book I loose track of time and my family members used to remind me to have my lunch and dinner. Once you read Mrityunjay Yugandhar; though is a good book; seems decent. I have read both these book in Marathi so I don't know how the English translations would be.
Old 18th June 2019, 14:05   #167
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Books Thread (non-fiction)

Decent book on "Burger King"

The founder is surprisingly candid about the bad decisions he made (as well as the good ones). An okay read if you're really interested in the fast food industry or the Burger King brand. Not otherwise, and certainly not worth the asking price. Will give it a 3 / 5 star rating.

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-20190618-14.00.42.jpg
Old 29th June 2019, 21:29   #168
BHPian

Would any one have any recommendation on books with subject dealing with something along the lines of "dealing with passive aggressive people?"
Old 1st July 2019, 11:21   #169
BHPian

I am searching for a book that details out indian history. Right from the early empires to the mughals. How each empire thrived, their conquests, how they fell, etc. Then the coming of the french, british, etc.
Most books i saw have been compiled keeping in mind competitive exams where history is optional. However am searching for something that's more casual in tone, yet covers most of the stuff!
Old 1st July 2019, 14:58   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
There are English translations of Mahabharat...arrive soon.
Try Rajagopalachari's books on Ramayana and Mahabharata. There is so much learning from it. I even used to read out the anecdotes to my children at bed time.
Old 1st July 2019, 15:59   #171
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't have the interest now to read different translations, as I did way-back-then. But it is good to have again the two of which I was most fond.

The loss of books was one of the things that hurt most about the Chennai flood. Many favourites I have replaced... but it is not the same as having, in some instances, the books that were given to me by my parents in my teens.
Old 1st July 2019, 21:33   #172
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
I am searching for a book that details out indian history. Right from the early empires to the mughals. How each empire thrived, their conquests, how they fell, etc. Then the coming of the french, british, etc.
You won't get all in one. All in one books are usually a high level storytelling books for general reading.

If you are looking at details you will need to look at ancient, medevial and modern India separately. And there are amazing options separately.
Old 1st July 2019, 22:43   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
You won't get all in one. All in one books are usually a high level storytelling books for general reading.

If you are looking at details you will need to look at ancient, medevial and modern India separately. And there are amazing options separately.
I had begun to think on the same lines. Starting off with ancient and medieval, let me know if you have any titles in mind. Thanks!
Old 1st July 2019, 22:52   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had begun to think on the same lines. Starting off with ancient and medieval, let me know if you have any titles in mind. Thanks!

Here is one:

Upinder Singh: A History of Ancient and Early Medieval India: From the Stone Age to the 12th Century.

Many also look at Romilla Thappar (Early India) and Basham (The Wonder that was India series). But I would still prefer the detailed ones. The ones which are used for preparation for civil services.

Even NCERT textbooks from grade VI to X are an amazing reference.
Old 1st July 2019, 22:57   #175
BHPian

Quote:
I am searching for a book that details out Indian history.
However am searching for something that's more casual in tone, yet covers most of the stuff!
1) I will recommend "The Return Of The Aryans" by Bhagawan S. Gidwani.

From its Amazon description.
Quote:
A sweeping saga of ancient india Return of the Aryans tells the epic story of the Aryans – a gripping tale of kings and poets, seers and gods, battles and romance and the rise and fall of civilizations.
In a remarkable feat of the imagination, Bhagwan S. Gidwani takes us back to the dawn of mankind (8000 BC) to recreate the world of the Aryans.
He tells us why the Aryans left India, their native land, for foreign shores and shows us their triumphal return to their homeland…
Vast and absorbing, the novel tells the stories of characters like the gentle god, Sindhu Putra, spreading his message of love; the physician sage Dhanawantar and his wife Dhanawantari; peaceloving Kashi after whom the holy city of Varanasi is named; and Nila who gave her name to the river Nile…
Richly textured and with a cast of thousands, the epic adventure of the Aryans come gloriously alive in the hands of the bestselling author of The Sword of Tipu Sultan.
Amazon Link

2) I would also "The Discovery Of India" by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru
I understand that nowadays it is kind of blase to criticize everything Pt Nehru did but despite your political views about our first PM, would recommend this book wholeheartedly.
I read this book after watching the Shyam Benegal series on DD.

From its Amazon description.
Quote:
Jawaharlal Nehru wrote the book ‘The Discovery of India’, during his imprisonment at Ahmednagar fort for participating in the Quit India Movement (1942 – 1946). The book was written during Nehru’s four years of confinement to solitude in prison and is his way of paying an homage to his beloved country and its rich culture.

The book started from ancient history, Nehru wrote at length of Vedas, Upanishads and textbooks on ancient time and ends during the British raj. The book is a broad view of Indian history, culture and philosophy, the same can also be seen in the television series. The book is considered as one of the finest writing on Indian History. The television series Bharat Ek Khoj which was released in 1988 was based on this book.
Amazon Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiranGS View Post
@Ithaca: Mrityunjay is indeed a classical in Marathi.
I would suggest you read Yugandhar first.
Mrityunjay is the most mesmerising book I have ever read.
I have read both these book in Marathi so I don't know how the English translations would be.
Thank you Sir, for your post. Since I have both books and you have recommended reading Yugandhar first, that is what I will do.

Last edited by Ithaca : 1st July 2019 at 23:01.
Old 2nd July 2019, 10:28   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Here is one:

Upinder Singh: A History of Ancient and Early Medieval India: From the Stone Age to the 12th Century.
Thanks a lot for this reference! I shall begin with this for now and then see which book would be an apt successor for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
1) I will recommend "The Return Of The Aryans" by Bhagawan S. Gidwani.

2) I would also "The Discovery Of India" by Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru
I understand that nowadays it is kind of blase to criticize everything Pt Nehru did but despite your political views about our first PM, would recommend this book wholeheartedly.
I read this book after watching the Shyam Benegal series on DD.
Regarding Return of the Aryans, I had come across this book while exploring. Just one concern: When they say it's the author's imagination, i don't want it to spiral away like Amish's Shiva trilogy (though all those books were a good read).

As for Nehru's The Discovery of India, all those positive reviews have made me add it to the cart and all that's left is to check-out!

Thank you for the books being suggested here. Looks like am sorted for the month!
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:47   #177
BHPian

Astrophysics for people in a hurry by Neil Degrasse Tyson

A fantastic read. Concise and a treasure trove of facts about the universe. If you like gazing at the stars and often marvel at the secrets held in their bosom, this book is for you. Of course there is a deluge of physics and interstellar facts but it is a fabulous read, if you like such books.
My rating: 4.5/5

Last edited by ampere : 2nd July 2019 at 15:11. Reason: Please use forum editor
Old 2nd July 2019, 16:42   #178
Senior - BHPian

Been reading "Freedom at midnight" by Dominique Lapierre and Larry Collins.

So many interesting anecdotes and incidents. Am halfway through the book and the horrors it manages to capture between it's pages is heart breaking.

Admitted by the authors, book does put the last viceroy on a pedestal but makes up for it in the sheer amount of data they would have to research to put this all together.
Old 3rd July 2019, 15:19   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Ah what a fantastic thread! Manna to my soul
Some of my recent reads:

- The Right Stuff by Tom Wolfe
If only I had read this book in school, I'm sure I would have tried out for IAF than become another engineer. Exciting, riveting and a page turner, this book is about the space journey of the US. An absolute must read to understand what it takes to push the envelop.

Will keep updating this thread
Second this! Had forgotten about it, read it a long time ago. Even the movie is great.
Old 3rd July 2019, 22:43   #180
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a lot for this reference! I shall begin with this for now and then see which book would be an apt successor for this.
There are two more classics if you are looking at world history:

1. Edword Gibbon: Decline and Fall of the Roman empire
2. Sir Steven Runciman : History of Crusades : Vol-1-3

European history is very intricately worn with the times of Roman Empire and Crusades. Its worth reading it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks