Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2020, 21:08   #196
BHPian

Re: The Books Thread (non-fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Flawed on Nirav Modi. My god, what an outstanding book! Paval Lall is a story teller par excellence. Fascinating read on Modi, Mehul Choksi and the diamond industry in general.

Rating 5 / 5 stars. Strongly recommended.

Attachment 1948991
Did you happen to read the electronic version? If so, do they have it in 'epub' format, also?

Last edited by JMaruru : 2nd January 2020 at 21:10.
Old 6th January 2020, 08:03   #197
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Did you happen to read the electronic version?
Yep, bought the Kindle version, although I have no clue about the epub format. Excellent book - rating 5 stars .
Old 6th January 2020, 21:22   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yep, bought the Kindle version, although I have no clue about the epub format. Excellent book - rating 5 stars .
That's the universal format, which works on non-kindle e-readers like 'kobo' and others! But, with being 'kindle' having the largest share of the market, .mobi has become the 'de facto' standard.
Old 7th January 2020, 11:18   #199
BHPian

Kickstarting a resolutionary target of 24 books this year, in order to reduce my screen time during travel, I have completed this wonderful book over the weekend

Bottle of lies : Ranbaxy and the Dark Side of Indian Pharma by Katherine Eban

This is the story of the generic drug boom and how the Indian pharma industry scaled up to cater to global demand. The focus is on Ranbaxy and the chain of events leading to its downfall, triggered by a whistleblowers submission to USFDA. The amount of lies, deceit, deception that the Indian pharma industry is filled with is quite frankly, disgusting and scary on so many fronts

The book(~450 pages) is a definite page turner, reads like a thriller outlined with hard facts and anecdotal evidence. It is definitely a grim story on the sorry state of affairs

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/sh...bottle-of-lies

Sorry if I hurt the sentiments of ex and current employees in this industry

Cheers
Revverend
Old 6th February 2020, 23:17   #200
BHPian

Just finished listening to "Why I Stopped wearing my socks" by Alok Kejriwal on Audible.I would gladly give it 4/5 stars . He is a brilliant storyteller and and writes in a straightforward manner telling about his struggles in business . He starts from working in his father's socks factory to founding a couple of digital ventures.Me being in my teens and with no prior experience in business found a lot to take away from this book.

A good read for budding entrepreneurs .
Old 8th February 2020, 17:50   #201
BHPian

My favorite book on UFOs for many years now, Paul R Hill's - Unconventional Flying Objects. Paul Hill was a NASA scientist with a keen interest in UFOs. In this masterpiece he has explained the UFO phenomena (as best as he could using the 20th century science) from an engineering/propulsion point of view.

According to Hill, the key to understanding the UFO propulsion is to visualize a force field, similar to anti-gravity, which repels all ordinary matter - explained in the book. Even in the 21st century this UFO technology amazes me - no seat belts required, no worry about the G forces, you could have a cup of coffee even if the craft is somersaulting or turning at right angles at crazy speeds!

Beautifully explained, there is mathematical support provided for the technical reader. Even for a non math person like me, I could understand 90% of the book.
Old 9th February 2020, 19:30   #202
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Marissa Mayer & the fight to save Yahoo! - Going to give it 3.5 / 5 stars, and will recommend it for those interested in Yahoo. Could a top auto engineer save GM India? I don't think so. Similarly, a top product person like Mayer was IMHO a bad choice for Yahoo's CEO. Very overhyped, she was clearly out of depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaroah View Post
Just finished listening to "Why I Stopped wearing my socks" by Alok Kejriwal on Audible.I would gladly give it 4/5 stars .
Thanks! Buying on Kindle.
Old 13th February 2020, 16:41   #203
BHPian

The Hot Zone: The Terrifying True Story of the Origins of the Ebola Virus by Richard Preston
Wanted to understand how these mortal viral diseases behave and act, and was horrified to read this book. Preston does an amazing job of penning down this horror of a book which reads like a thriller and a page turner. Highly recommended.

If I had to rate, I'd give it 10/10
Old 13th February 2020, 16:49   #204
BHPian

What are Team BHP'ians reading (Audio books included) or listening (Podcasts) these days

Let me start off and do the honours,

My current Reading list is,

1) Solstice at Panipat by Uday Kulkarni - A fascinating and minute by minute recounting of the fateful battle of Panipat - this is almost done

2) Byzantine Civilisation by Steven Runciman - A brilliant if academic read on the entire sweep of Byzantine history from its inception to its fall - Midway through

Have Economic history of Medieval India by Irfan Habib in queue.

My Audible alternates between two books,

1) The Age of Faith by Will Durant - It is part 4 of an EPIC (yes, EPIC) 11 part series on the history of Europe and the Middle East (it briefly touches upon other continents, but the core are these two regions). Given the sheer size of this, I listen to it but alternate it with other audio books.Each one of the 11 audio books is approx 60-80 hours long. If you want to understand the history of these parts of the world, this series is for you

2) The Crusades and How they shaped the modern world - Great Courses lectures - just about wrapping it up, last 30 minutes, will complete it on my way home today

Plan on starting Henry Kissinger's "World Order" - a Geopolitical study that explains how the current world order came to be. It traces events starting from the key to modern nation states, the Treaty of Westaphalia to the rise of political Islam, the cold war and post cold war era. Brilliant but can be infuriating at times as Kissinger is a hard core Republican, American hawk and his world view can be....interesting at times

Finally, I regularly follow a Podcast that has a 30 minute episode every Monday.

Revolutions by Mike Duncan - Over 5 (I think) years Duncan has traced the history of 5 major revolutions, he is funny, well read, does his research and breaks down even complex subjects like say Marxism into easily understandable and interesting 30 minute pieces. He is currently deep into the Russian revolution if that floats your boat.

This is pretty much it.

What is your reading list?
Old 13th February 2020, 16:50   #205
Team-BHP Support

Just finished reading A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump's Testing of America by Washington Post reporters Philip Rucker and Carol Leonnig.

A very well researched book, just like Bob Woodward's book it makes you shake in your boots knowing that Trump is right now the most powerful man in the world. I would it rate is 4/5 since it left out impeachment saga although it was released after the impeachment.

Edit: For Indians there is an interesting anecdote about when PM Modi meets Trump, and Modi realises what kind of person he is dealing with. In that meet Trump tells Modi not to worry about China since India doesn't share any border with China.

Last edited by Samurai : 13th February 2020 at 17:17.
Old 13th February 2020, 21:48   #206
BHPian

I am currently reading this book by Durlabh Singh. It was written in 1941, five months after Subhash Chandra Bose disappeared from his house and wasn't yet found anywhere.

Since it was written, almost as things happened, there isn't much of a slant to the book. It has minute details which would otherwise not make it to a history book today. For instance, it says Subhash reached the tripuri session of the congress in an ambulance. And then on a stretcher to the stage!

Gave me a new perspective to things I already knew broadly, about his life and controversies around it.

Edit: I finished reading young india by Lala lajpat Rai, (1915). Right now am flipping between Palme Dutt's India To-day (1946) and Oxford's students history of India (1928), as am trying to understand a specific timeline of our pre independent india. Next in line is an 1899 edition of "rulers of India -Babar"

All are original prints, readable but not pristine condition
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (non-fiction)-capture_20200213213939.png  

Last edited by ak916 : 13th February 2020 at 21:54.
ak916 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 11:13   #207
Senior - BHPian

Just managed to finish the experiments with truth. Next up is discovery of India Hope it's a better read than the former.

In between reading Tharoor's era of darkness book. Too many facts and figures to get a rhythm going smoothly. So taking my time with that.
Old 15th February 2020, 07:49   #208
Senior - BHPian

Essential reading suggestions for this week (from my shelf): The CEO Factory; step-by-step guide to build a great consumer driven organisation with rare insights from HUL which spawned several industry leaders, Tata V Mistry; the inside story of a famous fallout, Pandeymonium; musings of India's most cerebrated ad-man Piyush Pandey and of course the popular Bottle of Lies
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (non-fiction)-img_7591.jpg  

Old 15th February 2020, 11:30   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Essential reading suggestions for this week (from my shelf):
I am about 70% through Pandeymonium ( Gotta love the witty title ) and can safely say that this is one of the best titles that I have read in the Advertising / Marketing domain . Piyush Pandey thoroughly explains story behind his famous campaigns which is one of the main reasons I read this book .

Other titles which I read was "Ogilvy on Advertising " but got bored off quickly and left it halfway through
Old 16th February 2020, 13:58   #210
BHPian

I am currently reading "The Emperor of All Maladies" by Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee. It is an insightful journey into the world of cancer - its origin, history and the current scenario. An important book to understand the dreaded disease.

Also started reading "Bad Blood" in parallel - the inside story of Theranos - based on a recommendation in this very forum. Must say that it is unputdownable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks