Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2023, 23:22   #361

The Gene by Siddartha Mukherjee

Rating : 4/5

This is my first post here, lost my flair for writing since so long, I find it real struggle to put some words in an otherwise such a lovely collection of thoughts from this wonderful community.

Well, going beyond, the book is a smooth read that starts right from the genesis of the topic, well, literally the word genesis includes too. The narrative is a mix of lot os science, good amount of history and some stories peppered in to make it appealing, also gives a great insight into how the whole lot of technologies of gene mapping and genome sequencing have developed and the stage they presently are in. also the book is very much contemporary with the topics explained are not so mainstream yet, despite of the large stride the gene technology is making.

Gives a good insight into how the whole research process happens, I happen to recently read another book called "The Inventors by Walter Isscason", both the books are similar in writing style and even the whole process of inventing the computer and developing it is astonishingly similar.

Quite an interesting insight for someone who is absolutely not interested in biology, the doctor's flair for writing makes you go on flipping pages.

A strong recommendation for those who are interested in knowing the workings of everything around them simultaneously also educating alot on the aspects of health, gene and hereditary and everything that loop.

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-27276428.jpg
raghavrayudu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 12:59   #362
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Books Thread (non-fiction)

For cricket and sports broadcasting aficionados. Wilkins' partnership with Amritraj on the mic is a favorite of mine.

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-pxl_20230303_072731435.jpg
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 21:45   #363
BHPian

Rating : 5/5

As I endeavor to reclaim my literary fervor, I delved into "Can't Hurt Me", a memoir by David Goggins, a retired Navy SEAL and ultra-endurance athlete. You might think of this as just another self-help, but believe me this book transcends the conventional confines of self-help literature.

It's hard to put into words but let me try, envision the most arduous cardio workout you have ever experienced, replete with aching muscles, nauseating sensations, and self-doubt battling your mind to avoid collapsing - Can't Hurt Me serves as a guidebook for embracing and appreciating such physical trials, akin to maybe some holy scripture, except Goggins' pathway to enlightenment is through uncompromising physical exertion, not meditation.

While one need not be convinced of Goggins' convictions, his account of the mindset of an individual living such an extraordinary life is fascinating at the very least. Don't get me wrong, this book is not masquerading as either a paragon or a panacea of self-help literature, and David even goes on to clarify that the book isn't about being macho, but rather opening up to your vulnerabilities and finding strength in them. I challenge anyone to read it and not feel compelled to transform themselves.

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-81gtrv2hxrl.jpg

P.S. If cuss words bother you, stay away!!
MotoBlip is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 12:37   #364
BANNED

“Abduction – Human Encounters with aliens”. By the late John E. Mack, M.D., professor of psychiatry, Harvard Medical School.

It is always a pleasure to re-acquaint oneself with an old favourite – to check if the old magic still works. It does and in spades!
Dr.Mack’s seminal work on the subject (of alien abduction) remains a landmark. And it has done more than yeoman service to bring acceptance and succour to the countless victims of this phenomena – from the social ostracism and ridicule that they faced.

For all students of the phenomena (and of the paranormal in general) this is the book – riveting and un-putdownable!

Last edited by shashanka : 11th March 2023 at 12:42.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 12:54   #365
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
As I endeavor to reclaim my literary fervor, I delved into "Can't Hurt Me", a memoir by David Goggins, a retired Navy SEAL and ultra-endurance athlete. You might think of this as just another self-help, but believe me this book transcends the conventional confines of self-help literature.
It's a great book! Also it has some great lessons for kids as well. But then it's not easy to hand the book to them thanks to language.
Old 11th March 2023, 13:16   #366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
Recently read the book "Past and Curious" by Stanley Carvalho.

Attachment 2363865
Where to buy this book? Doesn't seem to be available online.
Old 13th March 2023, 11:31   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Where to buy this book? Doesn't seem to be available online.
I got it on Amazon. But clearly, it's out of stock right now and looked around at other stores online and nothing there either. If you don't get it in Sapna bookhouse etc either, you could take the book from me.
airguitar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 11:42   #368
BHPian

Attention Merchants

Currently reading "Attention Merchants" by Tim Wu. The book is a few years old, but captures the essence of how our lives are not ours anymore (or rather, for most of us), in a world driven by advertisers and how they get into our heads almost Inception-like.

An eyeopener for people that spend hours on internet or satellite tv content, directly or indirectly letting "others" take control of their lives.

Last edited by airguitar : 13th March 2023 at 11:55.
airguitar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 14:17   #369
BHPian

Prisoners of Geography - Rating 4.5 out of 5

Read this book couple of months back. It is a very interesting title on how destinies of most nations are influenced by their geography.

What I really loved about the book is that the author seems to have presented the facts very objectively and it doesn't appear to be a Western view of the world.
He also seems to have this uncanny ability to articulate how things would pan out in the future co-relating it with the border lines between different countries. As an example, I have the 2019 edition of this book and the author has expressed with good confidence that Russia and Ukraine will go to war, factors that could bring Chinese empire down, possibility of Pakistan breaking down into smaller nations and Artic region turning into a battleground for US, Russia and Europe in the future.

It also has few inline maps that are good resources to study with the text. I would have loved to see a dedicated chapter on India. It only has a chapter on India and Pakistan combined.

Would recommend this book to anyone who is interested in geo-politics.
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (non-fiction)-9781783962433.jpg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd March 2023 at 16:37. Reason: As requested
warrioraks is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 10:27   #370
BHPian

The Avoidable War

The Avoidable War

A very good read on the history and current situation and dynamics of the relationship between USA and China. It also delves into the various scenarios possible in the upcoming decade and how these two countries can avoid a conflict.

The major portion of the book covers China and what drives them and their premier Xi Jinping in particular.

However, the same level of details is not provided for USA, which is a drawback of the book and is something that the author, Kevin Rudd, could have looked into to cover better.

Overall, a good read!
Attached Images

anand_roy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2023, 11:59   #371
BHPian

Title: David and Goliath: Underdogs, Misfits, and the Art of Battling Giants
Author: Malcolm Gladwell
Rating: 3/5

Having read multiple books from Gladwell I went in expecting good stuff but was disappointed. The book starts well, but then meanders in to weird alleys and 'meh' territory. Personally, his other books are much better.

Go for it only if you are a Gladwell fan and nothing else.
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (non-fiction)-david-goliath.jpg  

Old 21st May 2023, 13:27   #372
BHPian

Fooled by randomness - Rating 4 out of 5
This is one of those books which you will either hate it or love it. The writing style of the author (Nassim Taleb) is polarizing and so seems his personality. This is a book that dabbles into human behaviour and psychology, a lot of times from the viewpoint of a Wall-Street trader. Makes for a very interesting read if you can get past the difficult style of writing, which the author concedes as one of his fallacies in the preface.

The book regularly quotes Daniel Kahnman and his studies. I am already a fan of Daniel, since he is the author of one of my favourite books on human behaviour - Thinking Fast and Slow. So no surprise that this book really clicked with me as well.

I have started appreciating the role of luck in our lives with greater respect after reading this book. Would recommend if you like books on human behaviour.
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (non-fiction)-images.jpeg  

warrioraks is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 13:37   #373
BHPian

Why we sleep by Matthew Walker - Full 5 out of 5

What a book! If you or someone dear to you is sleeping less than 7 hours of sound sleep everyday, this is a must-read. The writing style is simple and compelling, even while discussing highly scientific concepts and research papers.

The author beautiful explains the evolutionary and biological need for sleep along with busting myths on what good sleep is and how to change your life to improve sleep quality. Everyone no matter what age should read this book once in their life.

If I had to sum up the book in one word, it's transformational.
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (non-fiction)-images-3.jpeg  

warrioraks is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 12:07   #374
BHPian

The Gene - An Intimate History by Siddhartha Mukherjee

My rating: 4/5

This is a good read on the history of the Gene and the associated research. It helps a layman understand how genes impact our lives and that of our near and dear ones.

The book also introspects on the question of (gene) cloning and where the research is heading.

I listened to the book on Audible and feel it is better to read the book on paper or a Kindle. There are few sentences / paragraphs that you may want to read twice and that is not always possible on Audible.

Name:  The_Gene.PNG
Views: 276
Size:  170.3 KB
anand_roy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 00:09   #375
Distinguished - BHPian

The Antisocial Network - Ben Mezrich
Rating: 3.5 / 5

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-1538707578.01.s001.lxxxxxxx.jpg

Compact and fast paced book expanding on the GameStop short squeeze and the wide group of amateur retail traders that brought several wall street hedge funds to its knees. The research isn't that detailed as one would expect in an investigative journalism book (which is the closest genre I'd assume) but the author keeps the storyline moving and there is sufficient information for a decent read. I'd recommend this for a quick read or one could just wait for the upcoming movie based on this book, that is to be released later this year.

ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks