Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2018, 15:28   #121
BHPian

Re: The Books Thread (non-fiction)

Most of us dream about living a life on our terms but never get down to actually making it happen! This techie guy went ahead and just did that. Interesting read for anyone who ever dreamt of farming and living in close sync with nature.

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-moongovermicrochips810x498.jpg
trek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 11:40   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I just finished reading Fear: Trump in the Whitehouse by Bob Woodward. It is a terrifying book. I sincerely hope we can survive Trump presidency. Yes, I know he is not our President. But I lost count of the number of times he was at the brink of WW-III. The world was saved by some of his staffers every time. And all those staffers have now left the administration.
Going to start on the book this weekend. My fear - Trump getting re-elected the second time and US economy slowing down simultaneously. Trump begins to feel the heat for the first time - in his red states (which he hasn't so far - with record low unemployment in US), and thats when all that has been feared about , starts to unravel.
Old 10th December 2018, 10:19   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
I consider myself an armchair mountaineer and keep reading these Himalayan giants. Currently Reading "Annapurna" from Reinhold Messner.
Maybe you ought to try these. Have read a few of them myself and they do make for engaging reading.
  • The Climb : Tragic Ambitions on Everest
  • The Nanda Devi Affair
  • K2 Life And Death On The World’s Most Dangerous Mountain
  • The Last Hours on Everest
  • Touching The Void
  • The Ascent Of Everest
  • Eiger Dreams : Ventures Among Men And Mountains
  • Into Thin Air
  • The Everest Files
  • Annapurna: The First Conquest of an 8000-Metre Peak
  • Everest : Kangshung Face
  • Man of Everest : The Autobiography of Tenzing
  • From the Ocean to the Sky by Sir Edmund Hillary

Cheers !
Old 10th December 2018, 13:08   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Thanks for sharing! Would love to read the NE trilogy, but sadly they seem unavailable on Amazon. Any other leads?
Tried searching the internet, but couldn't find any. Incidentally, also tried asking a local bookseller, but he too didn't have it.

Cheers !
Old 13th December 2018, 17:35   #125
GTO
Team-BHP Support

So good to read a 5 star book after a couple of 3 - 4 stars . Giving "The Everything Store" a full 5 / 5 stars.

Amazon has affected our lives in so many ways. This book amply covers the story of Amazon.com as well as its illustrious founder. Covers most of the good & bad stuff (including the crazy work culture). The story runs fast too; you'll find it hard to put the book down once you're in it. Even my siblings couldn't stop reading it after a chapter or two .

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-20181213-17.26.14.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 13th December 2018 at 17:36.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 16:44   #126
BHPian

I just completed "Sapiens - A brief history of Humankind" by Yuval Noah Harari and have to say it is one of the best books that I have read in a long time. The book starts with the forager human 70000 years ago and then moves through various phases such as the agriculture revolution, unification of mankind and the scientific revolution. It links these past events to today's world (capitalism, religion, politics, etc.) and concludes with few thoughts of how our tomorrow may be.

Each page, each story, each anecdote shows the depth of research that has gone in the book. The arguments are compelling and though provoking. This book gets my highest recommendation!
[5/5]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistiks View Post
If there is one, just one, book that I can recommend- I'd suggest Sapiens- A brief history of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari.

Harari is an Israeli historian, and this book was first published in Hebrew in 2011. Translated into English in 2014, this is a remarkable book on how humans came to be as they are. Jaw-droppingly thought provocative book, which makes you linger over each page and keep thinking about it for days. Also puts a lot of what we are seeing in the world today (politics, religion etc) into perspective and helps one align his/her thoughts on why things are happening the way they are.

It is a beautiful piece of literature, please please please do read it !
Completely agree with your review. Can't wait to read his next book - "Homo Deus: A brief history of tomorrow", the name itself being an oxymoron!
Old 1st January 2019, 23:14   #127
Senior - BHPian

My 2018 reading list. Haven't finished all of them yet but slowly getting back to reading.
[IMG]The Books Thread (non-fiction)-1546364568263.jpg[/IMG]
Old 2nd January 2019, 17:43   #128
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A peek into my Kindle (have a lot more hard covers)
Am buying a lot more hard covers now. After staring at screens all day long, I enjoy winding down at night with a good physical book in my hands:
The Books Thread (non-fiction)-20190102-16.56.03.jpg
Old 2nd January 2019, 18:39   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Am buying a lot more hard covers now. After staring at screens all day long, I enjoy winding down at night with a good physical book in my hands:
Attachment 1833042
Quite a versatile collection. One thing caught my eye: XUV500 a celebration.
Old 2nd January 2019, 18:50   #130
BHPian

How do you all manage to 'dispose' off the books after you've read them? I have tried selling some of them away on Amazon with mixed success.
Old 2nd January 2019, 20:15   #131
BHPian

I recently read Kitchen Confidential from Anthony Bourdain, written way back in 2000.

I learned lot of words in French cuisine and had to search meaning of the words in the process of reading the book. It explained how chef was not a glamour job and it's hard work back in the kitchen.

One topic that book didn't explore was how he got the job at Les Halles in NYC. Gives a brief overview of his many stints across NYC.

@GTO: A good collection.
Old 2nd January 2019, 21:54   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
How do you all manage to 'dispose' off the books after you've read them? I have tried selling some of them away on Amazon with mixed success.
Since you are in Bengaluru, you can always sell at Blossoms on Church Street. They won't give you cash but vouchers to buy new books. They generally give 60-70% of the price.
Old 2nd January 2019, 22:32   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
Blossoms on Church Street.
Thanks. Looks like a great place. Wasn't aware of it. Have been to the Church st. for so many lunches/dinners in the past. Will check this place out next time I'm in the area.
Old 2nd January 2019, 23:47   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I always said I never would, but recently, I've been taking the phone to bed with me, if only for a narcotic game of Solitaire. It was always a book.

Floods permitting, I keep all my books. Either that, or occasionally give the away. I count lending books as giving away in much the same way as I have come to consider lending money. If it comes back, that's bonus!
Old 6th January 2019, 08:11   #135
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukund View Post
Quite a versatile collection. One thing caught my eye: XUV500 a celebration.
Was given to me by ex-Mahindra CEO Pravin Shah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
How do you all manage to 'dispose' off the books after you've read them?
Periodically, I get rid of the average books by gifting them away or the local raddi guy. But the ones that I loved, I always retain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I always said I never would, but recently, I've been taking the phone to bed with me, if only for a narcotic game of Solitaire. It was always a book.
Get back to the book, Thad! Doing something mentally stimulating + staring at a phone screen is very bad for sleep.

Most Viewed