Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2006, 17:19   #1

Importing a second hand Range Rover

Dear all,
I need a piece of advise from you.

I am moving with the family in Delhi in Spring 2007.
Our family car is a Range Rover 1994 Vogue, with a 3.9 l engine, black, with 160000km and LHD! It is the Classic shape but being one of the last one has all the features of the next model (the P38 sold between 1995 and 2002), it runs fantastically and has never let us down.

The question obviously is:
- does it make ANY sense to bring it to India?

My feeling are rather mixed (to say the least):
- High import taxes (the car value in Europe is 6000 Euros, around 3 lakhs) how much would I end up paying to get it on the road in India?
- It has 12 years old... and 160000 km!
- 3,9 engine and it is NOT a diesel!
- Left hand drive!
- Dealer? Spare parts?

You are going to say probably that the answer is there already stated above but this car is fantastic to me, it took me ages to get it the way I wanted (second hand) and I would rather investigate a bit further my understanding by sharing it this with you... Thank you for your advise!
Old 23rd December 2006, 12:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

Range Rover

I moved back to India in 1998- was faced with the same dilema. I decided against it as you can find better alternatives in India, both preused & new. I was in the market for a Rangie some time ago, and the BMW/Rover dealer in metros always have someone or the other looking to upgrade. You may not get the same spec car, but I am sure if you pursist/network/befriend the rover rep he will spot you one.

PS. I changed my mind on rover because the premuim it commands in the used market Vs the quality reports in Indian conditions. This was soemthing I would not be able to live with, but if you have used one and have a emmotional link go crazy, no point importing though...a LHD/petrol's value will not more than the going rate for per Kg rate of scrap metal!!! Cheers
Old 23rd December 2006, 13:18   #3
BHPian

Cannot import Left Hand drive vehicles in to India since March 2000. So basically that settles your whole dilema.
Old 23rd December 2006, 14:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S600BENZ View Post
Cannot import Left Hand drive vehicles in to India since March 2000. So basically that settles your whole dilema.
Where is the rule?
I have registered a LHD car bought from the customs in 2004 here in Mumbai, and it was with delivery miles on the odo.
I'm told delhi doesnt register though.
Old 9th January 2007, 02:47   #5

Import of LHD vehicle in Mumbai

Dear Friend scooby05,

I had seen your reply to one of the post in Dec 23rd. The following is the text.

I have registered a LHD car bought from the customs in 2004 here in Mumbai, and it was with delivery miles on the odo.
I'm told delhi doesnt register though

Can you provide me more details. Did you import the LHD car from US to Mumbai? Were you able to register the car in Mumbai?

I am moving back to India in 3 weeks and would like to know if I can take my Merc. I had almost given up the hope, since I have been receiving the inputs that import of LHD vehicles has been banned few years back. Your post does give me some sense of hope.

Do reply back as soon as possible with as much details as possible. I would really appreciate it.

Regards
Deepak Gada
New Jersey, USA
Old 9th January 2007, 08:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

No Unless you are an automobile manufacturer you are not allowed to import a left hand drive. Even if an automobile manufacturer does manage to bring a LHD to India ,manufacturer cannot sell it to an Individual.

Also according to an earlier rule[2001] cars older than three years cannot be imported but am not sure if this has been amended.There are some other rules and formalities too.

All in all does not make sense to import a LHD car into India anymore for individuals who dont want to mess with the law.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks