Team-BHP - The plight of IT professionals in their 40s
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The plight of IT professionals in their 40s (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/198522-plight-professionals-their-40s-13.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddy42 (Post 4471452)

Am currently figuring out my options while i try to pack up a decade of living in the states in two weeks time with a lot of regrets.

I was never crazy for the US and so never went after jobs that would post me abroad, so I don't know the nitti gritties of these rules.

But one option could have been to move to a friendlier country such as Au or NZ maybe, get passports there and then enter the US as non-Indian nationals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miyata (Post 4471316)
I am not from the IT sector, but i was wondering aloud - pls. ignore if it sounds too theoretical - given the nature of many BHPians and their commitment to excellence combined with unbiased professionalism with the added benefit of a great platform to get together; Can many of the IT folks here not come together and start something of value?

@Miyata, you have actually touched upon the answer yourself. How many people there do you think, are actually like what you have said ? You have to work with them to see the levels of understanding, involvement, commitment, maturity. Even people with +/- 20 years of experience can show a lack of these to surprising extents. What you ask needs entrepreneurial qualities. Many are far from it. They are like sheep - go to work, come back. They have have to chased for even small routine things. And dont care to understand even basic stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by maddy42 (Post 4471452)
Am currently figuring out my options while i try to pack up a decade of living in the states in two weeks time with a lot of regrets.

Well, can understand this. Was in a similar situation many years back, though it was not that abrupt. Wishing you the best. May be come home, and then look for other places like AU or NZ ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartcat (Post 4470947)
Tech Mahindra’s retirement age lowered to 55
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...w/66036267.cms

I am a strong advocate of lowering the retirement age, but also strongly oppose if it is done without having sufficint data for justification. I have always found myself in the role of a use and throw kind of person from 15 years, can really understand the mental sufferings of a person when he is asked to quit just because he is old. I am right now stuck in a role where my superiors lack industry knowledge but are not ready to accept the truth. I am definitely sure that a more matured retirement policy will evolve in India.

I can relate to a this plight from a different angle.

As a search professional, the number of requests that we are receiving from Mid-Senior folks in the IT industry has increased exponentially.
Some are after us literally begging due to loss of jobs at critical juncture of their life with large EMIs to be repaid.

On the US front, things doesn't look rosy. It is another battle out there.
We do hire for our clients in US market and the situation is quite bad. Premium processing of H1B transfer has been freezed since last month until next Feb.
Even if the company has to hire a H1B candidate, there is no guarantee of them getting the transfer.

An advice to IT professionals.
Learn the new age tech, be agile and nimble with your tech skills.

It is no wonder that my brother spends atleast a lakh or more every other year doing certifications to keep himself relevant in the market.

My notes

The bad side

The grey side

The good side

Be open to learning everyday. The industry lacks good executionists at the large scale. There is no dearth of jobs for good people.

Quote:

In an interview to The Economic Times in August, Raj Mehta, President at Cognizant, had said,"We are trying to clean up the higher end of the pyramid and allow our associates to grow."
Source - https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/66143114.cms

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dry Ice (Post 4475851)

In essence what he is saying is that they do not have any growth plans or options for those at higher levels. So we will remove that layer and descale the work. What is the future in a few years for those at the next level; the same statement and treatment? Wow!

Why build those higher levels if you did not/ do not have anything planned for them? Business is shrinking so to maintain margins it becomes imperative to cut the flab. It is now par for the course in this industry to get underpaid resources to overwork in order to replace experienced personnel.
High time to build other skills and an exit plan.

This article on ET just rewinds and dwells upon what most know about the current state of the IT industry.

What Cognizant did is just cut out the dead wood people they say whose skills were not aligned with customers' requirements and were unwilling or could not adapt to the new environment.

Motto - be prepared to adapt and change, or perish. That goes for companies and techies alike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdrive (Post 4475859)
Why build those higher levels if you did not/ do not have anything planned for them?

2 reasons: 1. Employees themselves keep looking for 'growth' even if they don't really understand what that means. In most cases they mean 'I need to become a manager in x years, or I'll keep looking for a company that will make me one.' Irrespective of whether they have the skills or not. 2. Clueless management/HR that keeps chanting mantras like 'think outside the box', 'always think about the next big thing'. Irrespective of whether or not the basic customer requirements themselves are even being met.

I see a lot of colleagues moving into entrepreneurship (small cafes/ food takeaways/ bakeries etc). But I am sure it should be possible for others to dust off their gloves, get down and dirty to build/ resurrect their careers again.

The challenge is to do so with dignity; getting fired from a job should not be the end of everything. Unfortunately, some of us are so dependent on the job that it seems there is no way out and we end up blaming ourselves. Whereas it is really a perfect storm brewing outdoors and not a single factor by itself.

Instead of continuing with the plight of those in their 40s, can we start listing what skills can be acquired by them at this stage?
Anything that can keep them in business for the next few years at least?

What can the list look like?

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 4476097)
2 reasons: 1. Employees themselves keep looking for 'growth' even if they don't really understand what that means. In most cases they mean 'I need to become a manager in x years, or I'll keep looking for a company that will make me one.' Irrespective of whether they have the skills or not. 2. Clueless management/HR that keeps chanting mantras like 'think outside the box', 'always think about the next big thing'. Irrespective of whether or not the basic customer requirements themselves are even being met.

It is getting difficult for people (me included) to even hold down their existing job role. I can forget about growth (knowledge/ money or otherwise).
Everything worked fine when the industry was booming. But I see a much bigger and more responsible role for HR in the current scenario.
It is essential to afford loyal employees some dignity and if possible maybe some choices in terms of retraining or upgraded training to new technologies.
A pink slip is not only to the employee; there are many other dependencies behind. A lot of aspirations, dreams and perhaps even financial dependents.

I agree with @selfdrive, we all know the plight that awaits most of us (and god forbid, if it has befallen some already). The thread has shown the multitude of reasons as to why we are under threat. Could we pivot this thread please, to use as a source of guidance and advice instead? As to what's needed to survive (if not grow)?

If I may suggest a template (starting with myself):

I need to reinvent to stay in a job for the next 15 years or more. Where do I go from here?

Sometimes I think people are being too facetious. The high salaries you get in the early days are to compensate for the short working life. In a short time, either you retrain, or move over to management, or are essentially redundant.

Curiosity is the very basis of learning, be that curious cat.. :)

Now a days reskilling in Automation, machine learning and data science is very much required to be in technical side in IT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgiitk (Post 4476370)
Sometimes I think people are being too facetious. The high salaries you get in the early days are to compensate for the short working life.

This is the way I too think, my father at the time of his retirement saved around Rs.9 lakhs plus a plot in Bangalore. He opted for VRS after working in the government service for 29 years. Today I have the resources to save the same amount every 2 years from my own salary, but I know that it is difficult for me to work for 29 years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deehunk (Post 4476433)
This is the way I too think, my father at the time of his retirement saved around Rs.9 lakhs plus a plot in Bangalore. He opted for VRS after working in the government service for 29 years. Today I have the resources to save the same amount every 2 years from my own salary, but I know that it is difficult for me to work for 29 years.

Very true. Once cannot hope to keep drawing high salaries and remaining relevant without any impetus or initiative to proactively upgrade ones skills. The IP sector is overflowing with people, millions flocking to the sector lured by stories of steady salaries and perks. What is sadly unseen is the plight just a decade and a half down the road. Actions such as the one taken by Cognizant is a great wake up call to not take any IT job for granted.