Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the world cup ?
Russia 5 2.65%
Germany 46 24.34%
Argentina 18 9.52%
Australia 0 0%
Belgium 21 11.11%
Brazil 30 15.87%
Colombia 0 0%
Costa Rica 1 0.53%
Croatia 8 4.23%
Denmark 0 0%
Egypt 0 0%
England 9 4.76%
France 29 15.34%
Iceland 0 0%
Iran 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Mexico 2 1.06%
Morocco 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Panama 0 0%
Peru 1 0.53%
Poland 1 0.53%
Portugal 7 3.70%
Saudi Arabia 1 0.53%
Senegal 0 0%
Serbia 0 0%
South Korea 0 0%
Spain 7 3.70%
Sweden 0 0%
Switzerland 0 0%
Tunisia 0 0%
Uruguay 3 1.59%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2018, 01:50   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football World Cup Thread - Russia, 2018

I think it will be Argentina-Brazil (or even Portugal-Brazil) and Spain-Belgium or Spain-England in the semis, based on tomorrow's group H winners.

The Football World Cup Thread - Russia, 2018-picsart_062801.48.04.jpg
Old 28th June 2018, 08:59   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
So, WHO is playing well enough to win ? All the pre-tournament favourites - Argentina, France, Germany, Brazil have all under performed.

Portugal ?
Spain ?
Belgium ?
Croatia
Sweden

I seriously wished for an African and an Asian country to be in last 16. Surprisingly they have been playing well.

MODS: Can we have a revised poll after the group matches end?
Old 28th June 2018, 09:34   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I think it will be Argentina-Brazil (or even Portugal-Brazil) and Spain-Belgium or Spain-England in the semis, based on tomorrow's group H winners.
my comments on R16.
1. Top half may have all remaining 4 SA teams.
2. Bottom half may have 7/8 European teams
3. We may end up with a situation where 4 SA teams (top half) and 4 European teams in bottom half in quarters!
Old 28th June 2018, 10:14   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
MODS: Can we have a revised poll after the group matches end?
Can we add more than one poll in a thread? Then we could retain their current one too!
Old 28th June 2018, 12:45   #185
BHPian

Quote:
So, WHO is playing well enough to win ? All the pre-tournament favourites - Argentina, France, Germany, Brazil have all under performed.

Portugal ?
Spain ?
Belgium ?
I wouldn't put Portugal there yet. Belgium certainly has been great and we can't ignore England either irrespective of the opposition they played. But I believe Brazil will start to be more effective going forward. They have the players, its just some application and strategy I think. If only Ramos and Pique be the rocks they have been for their clubs Spain does have a chance to go ahead though they haven't found the striker that can put the service from the midfield into the net.
Old 28th June 2018, 13:01   #186
BHPian

Quote:

Portugal ?
Spain ?
Belgium ?
I have a feeling that Belgium is going to win, based on the way that they're playing, but they need to continue with their strong performances.
I wouldn't rule out Brazil or Croatia either.

Quote:
But the issue is that they are not champion material yet. Championship is unknown territory for them, could wilt in the final game of pressure.
No offense mate, but how do you say that they're not champion material yet?
By your logic of "Championship is unknown territory for them", then a lot of the teams that are reaching the quarterfinals in this WC have never played in a WC winning squad, hence lack the experience as well, but you still see them beating the favorites that were voted for in this very thread.

Cheers
Old 28th June 2018, 13:11   #187
BHPian

Quote:
But the issue is that they are not champion material yet. Championship is unknown territory for them, could wilt in the final game of pressure.
This is just another motivation for Belgium to know what Championship is. I'm convinced that Belgium might be the team to look out for, followed by France!
Old 28th June 2018, 13:24   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
By your logic of "Championship is unknown territory for them", then a lot of the teams that are reaching the quarterfinals in this WC have never played in a WC winning squad, hence lack the experience as well, but you still see them beating the favorites that were voted for in this very thread.
What I meant is the finals; a team who has already been champions once is at an advantage than the other. It is a different day altogether and even the best team can taste defeat; it is mostly the past experience and the mental strength that counts most.

Let us look forward to Belgium in the finals and wait to see if I've to eat my words. I don't mind at all, as I wanted them to win and was the first to vote for Belgium in this poll.
Old 28th June 2018, 15:09   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post

No offense mate, but how do you say that they're not champion material yet?
In world cup, pedigree actually matters. It's very very difficult for any team without any history of winning the competition to actually go and win it. To give you examples, Dutch could never win it, not even their total football team! Spain had great players and great teams for last 50 years but they never won the world cup till the Xavi Iniesta team came along. It needs something like that to win the cup.

Conversely, one of Brazil and/or Germany have almost always played for the title in the finals. Italy also has great record in the world cup, even with not so great teams. If you are a football player, your best shot at winning at world cup is if you play for any of these three countries.
Old 29th June 2018, 09:44   #190
Team-BHP Support

So pleasant to see England play belgium. In terms of quality it almost seemed like watching a decent club match. The game was flowing the way you would expect from world class players - as opposed to the complete hotch potch I have been seeing even from big sides. Bad passing, no coordination etc.
Old 29th June 2018, 09:56   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
So pleasant to see England play belgium. In terms of quality it almost seemed like watching a decent club match. The game was flowing the way you would expect from world class players - as opposed to the complete hotch potch I have been seeing even from big sides. Bad passing, no coordination etc.
Even their second string teams were playing like first one. Very nice game.
Old 29th June 2018, 11:41   #192
Senior - BHPian

Couldn't stand the uncreative passing around among the defenders by Belgium. Play in front of the England box was good though. Passing was accurate most of the time, and they could defend the ball from an English attacker with ease too. But snatching the ball from the England players was a bit rough sometimes and so was defending when England was on a fast attack. They were playing a lot cool and easy, which might not be the case with another opponent who likes to pressurise much.

Of all the games watched till now, I liked Mexico's game play the most, particularly the one against Germany.
Old 29th June 2018, 19:23   #193
Senior - BHPian

Not sure of who plays who in the QF, but assuming these teams don't meet, my pick for the four semi-finalists is Belgium, Brazil, France and Croatia. Will be interesting to see what happens once the knock out games start though.

Yesterday Belgium showed a level of game with their second string that makes me believe they have enough depth to potentially win the WC this year. Belgium and Brazil are my two favourites for the title.
Old 29th June 2018, 20:50   #194
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday was probably England's true level. There's the argument that it was essentially their B-Team, but so was Belgium's so those cancel out.

I stand by my previous position. England aren't great from open play, and good sides won't concede too many set pieces in crucial areas.

Cahill isn't a world class centre-back and will get caught out against world-class opposition. Sterling is struggling up front and neither Vardy nor Rashford look like they're a huge improvement on yesterday's evidence. If Alli isn't match fit for the next game, England are in trouble.
Old 30th June 2018, 11:30   #195
BHPian

Pre-tournament favourites France meets Argentina today in the first knockout match of WC18. France is yet to click as a cohesive unit but I hope they will peak at just the right moment. I had voted for France and mentioned Belgium as a dark horse. But dark horse is a misnomer in the sense that Belgium seems to be even more fancied to lift the cup. These two teams are drawn to meet in the semifinal however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Voted for France. Kylian Mbappe will be the top scorer. Belgium is the proverbial dark horse. The combination of DeBruyne and Lukaku will be interesting.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 30th June 2018 at 11:33.

Most Viewed