Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the world cup ?
Russia 5 2.65%
Germany 46 24.34%
Argentina 18 9.52%
Australia 0 0%
Belgium 21 11.11%
Brazil 30 15.87%
Colombia 0 0%
Costa Rica 1 0.53%
Croatia 8 4.23%
Denmark 0 0%
Egypt 0 0%
England 9 4.76%
France 29 15.34%
Iceland 0 0%
Iran 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Mexico 2 1.06%
Morocco 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Panama 0 0%
Peru 1 0.53%
Poland 1 0.53%
Portugal 7 3.70%
Saudi Arabia 1 0.53%
Senegal 0 0%
Serbia 0 0%
South Korea 0 0%
Spain 7 3.70%
Sweden 0 0%
Switzerland 0 0%
Tunisia 0 0%
Uruguay 3 1.59%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2018, 23:20   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Football World Cup Thread - Russia, 2018

I am a crazy Argentina fan. Not for Messi though. But totally agree that they didn't even deserve to get this far. France just tore through them and could have ended up with more goals.

Mbappe is just amazing. Man, the pace! Pogba had a good game too. Not the usual irritating way he plays when he is in ManU. And no, France are not a team to have the capability to win the World Cup.

On the other hand, Argentina needs to really shake up. Why is Aguero (who is on top form) kept on the bench? What about Dybala?

And please, don't say Di Maria goal wasn't a good one. It was a spectacular goal.

Last edited by naveenroy : 30th June 2018 at 23:44.
Old 30th June 2018, 23:22   #212
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Wasn't it a carbon copy of Nacho's against Portugal?....
Oh, absolutely! Equally good goals on quality, but I'd rate Pavard's higher given the context. Imagine being 22 years old in a World Cup knockout game, potentially responsible for the opponent's goal minutes before, then scoring that for an equaliser! If Argentina had managed to slow the game down after their second and controlled possession, France could've been in trouble. That goal was crucial for French momentum.

This tournament has thrown up some spectacular goals, some worthy of winning matches on their own, and we are just getting started with the knockouts. I'm not complaining.
Old 1st July 2018, 01:31   #213
BHPian

Two thumping goals by Cavani and Uruguay face France next. Awesome match.
Old 1st July 2018, 01:31   #214
Team-BHP Support

Perfect tactics and near-perfect execution by Uruguay. Cavani will deservedly get all the plaudits for his two world-class strikes, but spare a thought for Godin, Gimenez and Laxalt who were immense in defence all night.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 1st July 2018 at 01:57.
Old 1st July 2018, 01:35   #215
BHPian

Even though Portugal had most of the ball possession, they were unable to get past Uruguay's solid defence. At the same time, Uruguay's strikers were Blitz fast. Portugal put up a poor show! They deserve to go out of the tournament. What a pity! Another legend might not see yet another World cup!

So as of now roughly 50% of those who voted in this poll got their options wrong by choosing either of Germany, Argentina or Portugal.

Last edited by joe1980 : 1st July 2018 at 01:37.
Old 1st July 2018, 01:36   #216
Senior - BHPian

Sad to see Portugal exit the World Cup. But still hoping the cup is lifted by a South American Nation or Spain.
Old 1st July 2018, 01:46   #217
Senior - BHPian

The Goats are out the world cup now.

Let the men fight for glory. May the best men win.

[I would like the French to win it this time. I lived in France and did my higher studies there. It would be my second country (after India) when it comes to supporting sports.]
Old 1st July 2018, 07:51   #218
Team-BHP Support

Uruguay vs France should be rich in terms of the best defence (URU) meeting the most in form attack (FRA). The only nuance I would say is Cavani and Suarez have really come into a flow as a strike partnership - it will be interesting to see if the French defence can hold them down (hopefully cavani will play).
Old 1st July 2018, 07:54   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An Indian soccer fan, in Russia for the World Cup, died in a car crash on Saturday on a road near the tournament host city Sochi, Interfax news agency cited sources as saying.

The incident, the first reported death of a World Cup visitor to Russia, was blamed by police on the driver, although Russian roads are notorious and claimed over 19,000 lives in 2017.

A statement released by the regional police department said a Russian taxi driver and an Indian citizen died at the scene and another Indian passenger was taken to hospital. It didn’t say whether the victims held World Cup tickets.
https://in.reuters.com/article/socce...-idINKBN1JQ0EC
Old 1st July 2018, 10:18   #220
Senior - BHPian

How on earth can a team lose after coming back to score more than the opponent. I'm still not able to get over it. Will Argentina ever have such good players in the near future to win a world cup? Will never forget the emotions generated for the Nigeria vs Argentina match.

Was hoping to see Messi vs Ronaldo, but it just didn't happen. In fact both bowed out. And what a combo goal by Suarez-Cavani duo.
Old 1st July 2018, 12:19   #221
BHPian

Argentina is like a body builder who has a superb built above hips but somehow forget to work on their legs. They simply don't have a midfield or defence. How they have wasted a generation of world class forwards not to speak of a once in generation player like Messi.

And as far as Portugal was concerned, the match against Uruguay was their best performance in this cup in spite of the defeat. If not for Uruguays defence, which was superb, they would have been in the quarters. I also felt the referee's have been a bit more forgiving as far as tackles are concerned allowing the game to flow which is making it difficult for players like Neymar, Busquet, Ronaldo etc.

Of the remaining teams, France, Belgium and Spain seem to have better chances. France did show some moments of brilliance but can't judge them against the defence and midfield of Argentina. Spain is decent in all areas without being extra-ordinary in any area, except midfield where they have top players. Belgium is good in all areas. Probably it will be their nerves which might decide their progress.

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 1st July 2018 at 12:28.
Old 1st July 2018, 13:16   #222
Senior - BHPian

Have never been and Argentina fan, and for the most part, the hysteria for this massively underperforming team just doesn't make any sense to me. Especially in this World Cup, when they have been outplayed by all the teams they have come across.

Absolutely pathetic display of (non) skills by their defence last night, and how can I forget- the star of stars, Mr. Messi, who stood by with hands on hips and drooping shoulders by the time it was the 70th minute. When his team needed him to rally around and do the job for them, he was day dreaming of god knows what. Totally pedestrian performance by him alone, in addition to pathetic team play by Argentina.

After watching the second match, all I can say is before Argentinan players are allowed to go home, they should have a compulsory stint in the Uruguay camp to relearn the ABC of defence. They don't even deserve to have come this far.
Old 1st July 2018, 22:17   #223
Team-BHP Support

Spain out!

Absolutely top drawer instinctive save by Akinfeev on the last kick.

Spain were poor, Russia gave an absolute park-the-bus masterclass.
Old 1st July 2018, 22:28   #224
BHPian

That was a shock exit for Spain! Very poor performance! Russia played a lot better! Many unexpected events happening at this world cup! I'm seeing some similarities in the Russia vs Spain match and the Portugal vs Uruguay where the ball possession was mostly by Spain and Portugal, but they crashed out eventually!

Last edited by joe1980 : 1st July 2018 at 22:29.
Old 1st July 2018, 22:45   #225
BHPian

This world cup started off on a Giant killing note at the qualifying stage itself and that continued in the actual tournament. Italy, Netherlands and Copa America winners Chile didn't qualify. And then Germany, Argentina, Spain and European Champions Portugal (though they aren't giants as far as WC's are concerned) got knocked out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks