Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the world cup ?
Russia 5 2.65%
Germany 46 24.34%
Argentina 18 9.52%
Australia 0 0%
Belgium 21 11.11%
Brazil 30 15.87%
Colombia 0 0%
Costa Rica 1 0.53%
Croatia 8 4.23%
Denmark 0 0%
Egypt 0 0%
England 9 4.76%
France 29 15.34%
Iceland 0 0%
Iran 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Mexico 2 1.06%
Morocco 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Panama 0 0%
Peru 1 0.53%
Poland 1 0.53%
Portugal 7 3.70%
Saudi Arabia 1 0.53%
Senegal 0 0%
Serbia 0 0%
South Korea 0 0%
Spain 7 3.70%
Sweden 0 0%
Switzerland 0 0%
Tunisia 0 0%
Uruguay 3 1.59%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2018, 09:58   #91
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Football World Cup Thread - Russia, 2018

Surprised to see no comments here regarding the Spain vs Iran match. I didnt watch the whole match but for the 20-30 mins i watched in the second half, it was quite heartening to see the level of football quality from the Iranians.

I feel they were unlucky to miss out on scoring, but they sure did take the fight up to the Spaniards.
Old 21st June 2018, 10:45   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Surprised to see no comments here regarding the Spain vs Iran match. I didnt watch the whole match but for the 20-30 mins i watched in the second half, it was quite heartening to see the level of football quality from the Iranians.

I feel they were unlucky to miss out on scoring, but they sure did take the fight up to the Spaniards.
Simple. Not everyone can watch late night match (11.30 PM start) on a week day. I watched the highlights and agree with you. Iran played really well. Even Saudi team played good comparing to their first match against Russia. This world cup has been good so far. No team except Russia had an easy run till now.

Last edited by Latheesh : 21st June 2018 at 10:48.
Old 21st June 2018, 12:18   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Let me start by saying I am a big Argentina fan since the days of Maradona.

In modern club football I am a big Messi and Barcelona fan - not a RM and Ronaldo fan.

BUT ...

What I have seen Ronaldo do for Portugal is consistently streets ahead of anything Messi or any other modern top footballers are doing for their country. Messi's performance was not a patch on the never say die approach of Ronaldo vs Spain. Where Messi missed a penalty (yes I know he had a great game otherwise but you need to deliver on these opportunities), Ronaldo scored an incredible free kick in the dying minutes to rescue a point in a critical game. Let me not even start on Neymar - who in my opinion is simply not in the class of the above two both in footballing terms, as a team player or generally in maturity.

Complete respect for Ronaldo on this front and I do wish their team well.

Even Argentina's self professed approach to organising the team around Messi is at some level totally demotivating for other top notch players in his team. Everything about how this ARG side is put together disappoints me. This is not how you assemble a trophy winning side - period!! And it saddens me to see that.

The cup in itself is completely entertaining for now. It's incredible to see so many upsets in the first group game. Hopefully all these big boys will be a bit more grounded before their next games - whether its Spain or Germany or Argentina or Brazil or France (while they got the points they had a slender victory)
Without Messi Argentina wouldn't have even qualified for the World Cup. With Messi in the team argentina got 21 of 30 available points in world cup qualifiers, without him they merely got 7 from 30. And we know what happened in the do or die match with Ecuador.

With Portugal, the role of Ronaldo is very clear, that of a finisher. But with Argentina, Messi has to be the creator as well as Finisher. It sounds lame to same that a team consisting of Aguero, Higuain, Dybala, Di Maria cannot score much without Messi. We wouldn't be doubting the work that Messi does for the country if Higuain hadn't missed the goals that were provided by Messi in World cup and Copa America finals. Of course Messi missed the penalty in the third Copa America final, but doesn't qualifying for 3 major finals on a trot count as a great accomplishment?. Ronaldo has been exceptional till now in this world cup, but in Euros he was great in 1 or 2 matches and didn't even play the final as he was subbed.

And then the expectations. While Ronaldo is amongst the great players of this era, he is not under the kind of pressure that Messi is. The kind of expectations that are placed on Messi by the Argentines is unimaginable. Some even call him a traitor for gods sake just because he left the nation as young talent for playing in Spain. All this when he could have easily opted to play for Spain and nobody needs imagination what a Messi included Spain would have been like and there wouldn't have been any debate. Nobody expects Portugal to win the world cup but for Argentina football seems to be the only thing to look up to in the shamble of the economy. And the less spoken about AFA the better. They make FIFA look like the best governed body in the world. To top it all there is constant comparison to Maradona, who is indeed a giant, but had a great support cast when Argentina won in 1986.

Ultimately, it is a team sport and it is for the managers to come up with a strategy to effectively utilise the available talents. Passing the ball to Messi and hoping something happens, surely isn't a sound strategy.
Old 21st June 2018, 14:14   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
Ronaldo has been exceptional till now in this world cup, but in Euros he was great in 1 or 2 matches and didn't even play the final as he was subbed.
Well, Ronaldo scored three and assisted three in the tournament and won the silver ball for being the second best player in the tournament. I don't think one can say he was great in only 1-2 games.
Old 21st June 2018, 15:51   #95
BHPian

An article about Malayalam commentator Shyju Damodaran.

The Football World Cup Thread - Russia, 2018-img20180621wa0001.jpg
Old 21st June 2018, 16:00   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Simple. Not everyone can watch late night match (11.30 PM start) on a week day. I watched the highlights and agree with you. Iran played really well. Even Saudi team played good comparing to their first match against Russia. This world cup has been good so far. No team except Russia had an easy run till now.
Good that you've watched just the highlights. The match was super boring with Iran defending with all 10 players. They were just playing for a draw to earn a single point. The match luckily did open up after Spain scored and the last 30 mins was enjoyable. Otherwise, it was a very very dull match to watch.
Old 21st June 2018, 19:51   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Well, Ronaldo scored three and assisted three in the tournament and won the silver ball for being the second best player in the tournament. I don't think one can say he was great in only 1-2 games.
Actually that is what happened. He was great against Hungary and Wales and was not upto his own high standards in other games. I am saying this as a fan of both Ronaldo and Messi and I am not judging his performance just by goals. Even one were to take only goals and assists all his goals from open play and two of his assists were from those two matches. And he could only play a few minutes in the final.

I am not saying all this to show Ronaldo to be inferior to Messi. I have been a fan of his since he played for ManU as a skinny teenager. This was just to counter the argument that Ronaldo towers over all current superstars, especially Messi, when it comes to national duty. When the fact is they both have done exceptionally well for their respective nations.
Old 21st June 2018, 21:34   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Good that you've watched just the highlights. The match was super boring with Iran defending with all 10 players. They were just playing for a draw to earn a single point. The match luckily did open up after Spain scored and the last 30 mins was enjoyable. Otherwise, it was a very very dull match to watch.
Are you a Spain fan? Then maybe it was boring. That was a very, very intense match for me. Because I wanted Iran to somehow keep Spain at bay or level with them.

Quote:
Let me start by saying I am a big Argentina fan since the days of Maradona.

In modern club football I am a big Messi and Barcelona fan - not a RM and Ronaldo fan.

BUT ...

What I have seen Ronaldo do for Portugal is consistently streets ahead of anything Messi or any other modern top footballers are doing for their country. Messi's performance was not a patch on the never say die approach of Ronaldo vs Spain. Where Messi missed a penalty (yes I know he had a great game otherwise but you need to deliver on these opportunities), Ronaldo scored an incredible free kick in the dying minutes to rescue a point in a critical game. Let me not even start on Neymar - who in my opinion is simply not in the class of the above two both in footballing terms, as a team player or generally in maturity.

Complete respect for Ronaldo on this front and I do wish their team well.
Totally agree!I am a big Argentina fan too - you can call it blind love. Because of God - Maradona. I always support Argentina. I enjoy all the matches - even the small ones that other people don't care about. I don't like Barcelona. I don't like Real Madrid. I never was a fan of Ronaldo. I don't care for Messi when he plays for Barcelona.

But in the World Cup, all that changes. I don't give a damn about clubs these guys play for. When commentators mention clubs, I get irritated.

But tell me, who remembers greatness in Football unless you lift the World Cup? For me personally, Messi has never played well for his country in the World Cup. Purely my feelings. I don't know if it is becaue of the team makeup or whatever but you cannot try to duplicate the way Barcelona play with him.

My dad always told me - you should never miss a penalty. For me, that is the only reason why I remember Roberto Baggio. For that spectacular miss!! Can Messi rise up to this last chance? I hope so.

On the other hand, consider Ronaldo. I mean, at his age, he seems to be getting only better. He is more of a careful player (noticed how he doesn't make too many tackles etc) but he scores regularly? I seriously have new found respect for Ronaldo. He might just overtake Messi as the greatest ever! And tbh, I think I'll start rooting for a Portugal win this WC!!
Old 21st June 2018, 21:55   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Are you a Spain fan? Then maybe it was boring. That was a very, very intense match for me. Because I wanted Iran to somehow keep Spain at bay or level with them.

Nope, Argentina fan here, from 1986 onwards . Waiting for tonight's game and bit scared too, as their form doesn't seem good this time.

Anyway, I find it very boring when the teams resort to defend only strategy. I used to hate Italy for that, as whenever they score a single goal, all 10 players would come back to their half and defend. That makes the game very very boring for the spectators.
Old 21st June 2018, 22:51   #100
BHPian

Is it just me or is France totally unimpressive. Amazing individual talent but don't seem to be gelling as a team . For the better portion of the match vs Peru, i thought the Peruvians played much better looking football without good finishing. I don't hold much hope for France in the knockout phase when they face a stronger team
Old 22nd June 2018, 00:39   #101
Senior - BHPian

Messi's body language is not at all positive; he has already given in it seems. I've a strange feeling that maybe he is getting mentally ready to announce retirement.

Edit: Argentina has gifted a goal to Croatia just after I wrote this!

Last edited by thoma : 22nd June 2018 at 00:44.
Old 22nd June 2018, 00:51   #102
Team-BHP Support

The Football World Cup Thread - Russia, 2018

My goodness. The way this ARG side plays. I am a huge fan of Argentina because of the influence 1986 and Maradona had on me as a kid but these guys simply do not deserve to progress beyond group the way they are playing. Sampaoli seriously needs to be sacked.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd June 2018 at 00:55.
Old 22nd June 2018, 01:09   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My goodness. The way this ARG side plays. I am a huge fan of Argentina because of the influence 1986 and Maradona had on me as a kid but these guys simply do not deserve to progress beyond group the way they are playing. Sampaoli seriously needs to be sacked.
Seconded. They have been completely annihilated. Lovely seeing Croatia play with heart.

Disgraceful behaviour by Argentina players. Sore losers.

Last edited by harry10 : 22nd June 2018 at 01:13.
Old 22nd June 2018, 01:28   #104
Senior - BHPian

Yup, Croatia is better physically and mentally and were determined to attack with vigor every ball that went to the Argentine defence, whereas Argentina was flirting with danger in front of their own goal post.
Old 22nd June 2018, 01:29   #105
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Argentina attack and defense was weak, Croatia when they attacked or defended they did with a sea of players(in term of numbers). On the other hand Argentina I could sense very few players in numbers, I could anticipate just by that they are going to loose badly.

On top of that Argentina players behaved badly.

Most Viewed