Team-BHP > Shifting gears

View Poll Results: Who do you think will win the world cup ?
Russia 5 2.65%
Germany 46 24.34%
Argentina 18 9.52%
Australia 0 0%
Belgium 21 11.11%
Brazil 30 15.87%
Colombia 0 0%
Costa Rica 1 0.53%
Croatia 8 4.23%
Denmark 0 0%
Egypt 0 0%
England 9 4.76%
France 29 15.34%
Iceland 0 0%
Iran 0 0%
Japan 0 0%
Mexico 2 1.06%
Morocco 0 0%
Nigeria 0 0%
Panama 0 0%
Peru 1 0.53%
Poland 1 0.53%
Portugal 7 3.70%
Saudi Arabia 1 0.53%
Senegal 0 0%
Serbia 0 0%
South Korea 0 0%
Spain 7 3.70%
Sweden 0 0%
Switzerland 0 0%
Tunisia 0 0%
Uruguay 3 1.59%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2018, 03:25   #331
BHPian

Re: The Football World Cup Thread - Russia, 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
What are your predictions for the 3rd place match?
Belgium and England still have to play a match for the 3rd place.
Croatia V England: exciting match especially in the second half, real bad miss from Kane in the first half ...had it been scored, England would have had a better chance to meet France in the finals.

3rd place prediction - Personally I think having a 3rd place match is cruel to the losing semi-finalists. I would bet on Belgium to win the 3rd place, England surely will be emotionally drained after the today's match.
Old 12th July 2018, 08:21   #332
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Croatia played extremely well in the second half to put England out.

Looking forward now to the final between France and Croatia
Old 12th July 2018, 11:27   #333
Team-BHP Support

Croatia did well to come from behind to equalise, and then steal the match in extra time.
At more than point they looked tired, and unable to penetrate the English midfield/defence, however there was a spurt in momentum and they rode the wave to victory.

I hope Croatia are able to show similar prowess in keeping the French at bay in the finals, however i am a bit apprehensive they would be quite tired out after the series of extra time matches they have had to go through. France on the other hand seem to have peaked at the right time, and bustling with energy too. They seem to have a height advantage too when compared to Croatia.
Old 12th July 2018, 11:38   #334
BANNED

I am truly surprised by the git of Croatia. I do not think many of them are playing in a major European league. I am sure there 'stars' will pick up a new valuation. Also, it is high time that a new team emerged. However, I do not see a flair as with Brazil.
Old 12th July 2018, 11:49   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am truly surprised by the git of Croatia. I do not think many of them are playing in a major European league. I am sure there 'stars' will pick up a new valuation. Also, it is high time that a new team emerged. However, I do not see a flair as with Brazil.
It helped that England were quite average throughout. In fact the only proper shot on target was that free kick goal. As most people predicted this English team didn't deserved to be in semis and they were only there cos of their easy grouping. Croatia was flat in first half but in second and ET they got their spirit back.

Luckily for Croatia there is a 4 day rest. They can regroup, the only thing is as they aren't use to of such a big stage final they may get overwhelmed by it.

France is of course the favourite but I am supporting the underdogs as usual
Old 12th July 2018, 11:55   #336
Team-BHP Support

A well-written piece by BBC's chief sports writer Tom Fordyce.

The post-mortem, the dissection will come later, but a genuine football fan's perspective the day after, not a journalist's.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 12th July 2018 at 12:07. Reason: Spelling
Old 12th July 2018, 12:03   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I do not think many of them are playing in a major European league.
Actually most of their midfield plays for the really big clubs- Real, Barca and Inter. There are a few players at Juve and Liverpool too among the rest of the squad.

But understandable why it would appear otherwise. The media really don't focus on teams outside of the traditional soccer powers. Which is why everyone (including me) thought England were clear favorites, when they really hadn't faced any serious opposition till this match.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:19   #338
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
But understandable why it would appear otherwise. The media really don't focus on teams outside of the traditional soccer powers. Which is why everyone (including me) thought England were clear favorites, when they really hadn't faced any serious opposition till this match.
England managed to win the setpieces, and more often than not, had penalties awarded to them, which helped them. That said, they were unnecessarily aggressive in behavior and also were led into believing they were the favourites.
Old 12th July 2018, 12:23   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am truly surprised by the git of Croatia. I do not think many of them are playing in a major European league.
Oh but they do. Their captain Luka Modric plays for Real Madrid and is the heart beat of that team that makes them tick. He is probably the best active midfield player in world football. Their vice captain Rakitic plays for Barcelona. Forward Mandzukic is with Juventus, kovacic is with Real Madrid and was once seen as the next Messi. Perisic plays for Inter Milan. From their defence, Corluka used to play for Tottenham while Loren plays for Liverpool and Vrsaljko plays for Atletico Madrid who are known for their defence.

So it does look like most of their team plays for the elite clubs in Europe with their most important players playing for the three most successful clubs in Europe in Barcelona, Real and Juventus.

Quote:

Also, it is high time that a new team emerged. However, I do not see a flair as with Brazil.
For me, the Brazilian flair died with Ronaldinho. After his exit from the scene Brazil has modeled itself as more European than South American. Its all about pace and power now. They even had a player called hulk in the team for quite some time. If I am not wrong this change happened when Dunga became their coach.
Old 12th July 2018, 14:37   #340
Senior - BHPian

Griezmann and team are the runners up at last Euro Cup so it is highly likely that they compensate this time.

Seeing all these goals and the play lately, I'm missing the first few games of Russia which had some beautiful goals.

The Croatian votes on this poll has gone up by two to reach 5 after yesterday's game.

Last edited by thoma : 12th July 2018 at 14:39.
Old 13th July 2018, 16:58   #341
BHPian

The best thing about Croatia is their fighting spirit. They have been 0-1 down in their last 3 matches but have been able to fight their way back to win in all of them.
Old 13th July 2018, 19:44   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Oh but they do. Their captain Luka Modric plays for Real Madrid and is the heart beat of that team that makes them tick. He is probably the best active midfield player in world football. Their vice captain Rakitic plays for Barcelona. Forward Mandzukic is with Juventus, kovacic is with Real Madrid and was once seen as the next Messi. Perisic plays for Inter Milan. From their defence, Corluka used to play for Tottenham while Loren plays for Liverpool and Vrsaljko plays for Atletico Madrid who are known for their defence.

So it does look like most of their team plays for the elite clubs in Europe with their most important players playing for the three most successful clubs in Europe in Barcelona, Real and Juventus.

For me, the Brazilian flair died with Ronaldinho. After his exit from the scene Brazil has modeled itself as more European than South American. Its all about pace and power now. They even had a player called hulk in the team for quite some time. If I am not wrong this change happened when Dunga became their coach.
Well said! All the guys in the Croatian team play for the big teams. I love Modric when he plays for RM too - he is the epitome of the playmaker role that I so love in Football. Someone who manages the play. I sure wish Croatia can go ahead and lift the cup!
Old 15th July 2018, 01:40   #343
Senior - BHPian

Did no one watch the England Belgium match? It was a good game. Belgium put England where they belong - 4th place. The Cup surely IsntComingHome. So much hype about the English team - it makes me nauseous.

Who you guys supporting for the final? I would love to see Croatia win it and Modric lift the Cup. But my head says France will win it!
Old 15th July 2018, 01:46   #344
BHPian

I have a soft corner for Croatians but France is also fine. I just wanted England should not win as they don't deserve this cup. Belgium was a great team I would have loved to watch a final between Belgium and Croatia.
Old 15th July 2018, 12:13   #345
BHPian

Expected Belgium to win which they did but it wasn't a goal feast like the 3rd place matches usually are. As for the final, I expect France to win but I would be delightfully surprised if Croatia manages to upstage them - they have won a lot of fans with their resilience.

Most Viewed