Team-BHP - The Football World Cup Thread - Russia, 2018
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Football World Cup Thread - Russia, 2018 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/199214-football-world-cup-thread-russia-2018-a.html)

Who do you think will win ?

Who do you want to win ?

In my case, I will be happy if either of these win:

- England
- Spain
- Germany
- Argentina

Schedule for group matches:

Thursday, 14 June

Russia vs Saudi Arabia (Group A) - Moscow (Luzhniki) - 8.30 pm

Friday, 15 June

Egypt vs Uruguay (Group A) - Ekaterinburg - 5.30 pm

Morocco vs Iran (Group B) - St Petersburg - 8.30 pm

Portugal vs Spain (Group B) - Sochi - 11.30 pm

Saturday, 16 June

France vs Australia (Group C) - Kazan - 3.30 pm

Argentina vs Iceland (Group D) - Moscow (Spartak) - 6.30 pm

Peru vs Denmark (Group C) - Saransk - 9.30 pm

Croatia vs Nigeria (Group D) - Kaliningrad - 12.30 am (Sunday)

Sunday, 17 June

Costa Rica vs Serbia (Group E) - Samara - 5.30 pm

Germany vs Mexico (Group F) - Moscow (Luzhniki) - 8.30 pm

Brazil vs Switzerland (Group E) - Rostov-on-Don - 11.30 pm

Monday, 18 June

Sweden vs South Korea (Group F) - Nizhny Novgorod - 5.30 pm

Belgium vs Panama (Group G) - Sochi - 8.30 pm

Tunisia vs England (Group G) - Volgograd - 11.30 pm

Tuesday, 19 June

Colombia vs Japan (Group H) - Saransk - 5.30 pm

Poland vs Senegal (Group H) - Moscow (Spartak) - 8.30 pm

Russia vs Egypt (Group A) - St Petersburg - 11.30 pm

Wednesday, 20 June

Portugal vs Morocco (Group B) - Moscow (Luzhniki) - 5.30 pm

Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia (Group A) - Rostov-on-Don - 8.30 pm

Iran vs Spain (Group B) - Kazan - 11.30 pm

Thursday, 21 June

Denmark vs Australia (Group C) - Samara - 5.30 pm

France vs Peru (Group C) - Ekaterinburg - 8.30 pm

Argentina vs Croatia (Group D) - Nizhny Novgorod - 11.30 pm

Friday, 22 June

Brazil vs Costa Rica (Group E) - St Petersburg - 5.30 pm

Nigeria vs Iceland (Group D) - Volgograd - 8.30 pm

Serbia vs Switzerland (Group E) - Kaliningrad - 11.30 pm

Saturday, 23 June

Belgium vs Tunisia (Group G) - Moscow (Spartak) - 5.30 pm

South Korea vs Mexico (Group F) - Rostov-on-Don - 8.30 pm

Germany v Sweden (Group F) - Sochi - 11.30 pm

Sunday, 24 June

England vs Panama (Group G) - Nizhny Novgorod - 5.30 pm

Japan vs Senegal (Group H) - Ekaterinburg - 8.30 pm

Poland vs Colombia (Group H) - Kazan - 11.30 pm

Monday, 25 June

Uruguay vs Russia (Group A) - Samara - 7.30 pm

Saudi Arabia vs Egypt (Group A) - Volgograd - 7.30 pm

Spain vs Morocco (Group B) - Kaliningrad - 11.30 pm

Iran vs Portugal (Group B) - Saransk - 11.30 pm

Tuesday, 26 June

Denmark vs France (Group C) - Moscow (Luzhniki) - 7.30 pm

Australia vs Peru (Group C) - Sochi - 7.30 pm

Nigeria vs Argentina (Group D) - St Petersburg - 11.30 pm

Iceland vs Croatia (Group D) - Rostov-on-Don - 11.30 pm

Wednesday, 27 June

South Korea vs Germany (Group F) - Kazan - 7.30 pm

Mexico vs Sweden (Group F) - Ekaterinburg - 7.30 pm

Serbia vs Brazil (Group E) - Moscow (Spartak) - 11.30 pm

Switzerland vs Costa Rica (Group E) - Nizhny Novgorod - 11.30 pm

Thursday 28 June

Japan vs Poland (Group H) - Volgograd - 7.30 pm

Senegal vs Colombia (Group H) - Samara - 7.30 pm

England vs Belgium (Group G) - Kaliningrad - 11.30 pm

Panama vs Tunisia (Group G) - Saransk - 11.30 pm

If anyone doubted the advent of AI / technology, robots have already started replacing.....animals - Paul the octopus in this case :)

Quote:

Goldman Sachs used AI to simulate 1 million possible World Cup outcomes - and arrived at a clear winner
https://www.businessinsider.in/Goldm...w/64544804.cms

I would want my favourite to win, Argentina, with my other favourite not even qualifying, Italy. How I miss my hero Gianluigi Buffon. Argentina is too unlucky except when Maradona was with the team.

Would be happy if France or Belgium wins. But this time my head votes for Brazil or maybe Germany.

Wow, just afterwards I saw the Goldman Sachs article! Otherwise also, Brazil will be on a vengance, Argentines don't have the same spirit when playing for their country. Germany is too professional and are the present champs and just because of that they can win or loose.

Germany / Spain / Argentina

Who do you want to win ?
Germany.

There was a whatsapp forward where the pilot is asking the England team whether he should keep the engines running since the English team is known to spectacularly flame out in big events in the early stages. Hope it happens this time too - no offense to English fans.

Who do you think will win? Germany

Who do you want to win? Brazil

I would love to see Brazil win! If not Brazil, I would be happy if Germany again wins it.

The heart always wants Argentina to win. But looks like their own countrymen aren't so confident. A 4th place finish would be great it seems. But I always hope that Argentina wins the World Cup - especially it being Messi's last. Go Maradona!!

For the team I hate - England, I hope they go out in the group stage itself.

I think it will be either Spain, France, or Argentina

Who do you want to win ?
Argentina, always had a world cup soft spot for this nation; probably because of the growing up years in Malappuram district, Kerala :)
And Leo Messi deserve a world cup!

For a change I want an underdog like Nigeria or Mexico or Uruguay to win the world cup.

Its boring to see the usual contenders. Can someone put the schedule and group details for reference please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 4413768)
Can someone put the schedule and group details for reference please?

Updated the opening post :)

My heart says (always has been since 1990) Argentina or Brazil (in that order), but mind says Germany (and hence voted for Germany).
I have been watching every football world cup since 1986 and my mind is still etched with Maradona lifting the trophy. At that time, I was not aware of any of the teams and hence Argentina became the first football country that I came to know about (kind of first love). Since then I have added Brazil also to that list.
I hate teams like England, Italy, Germany, France and Spain (in that order). In general, I always support South American and African teams (again in that order) when compared to European teams. But I do have some favorites in Europe, Netherlands (working for a Dutch company since last 17+ years) and then Belgium (since started following EPL may be?).
Ufff!!! enough :)

Although Germany look shakier than they have recently, they still remain favourites for this edition of the world cup.

My only other pick would be France, who seem to have a good collection of players.

The South Americans are too fickle and unless luck favours them, I do not see them going to the finals.

England, a former favourite of mine, is likely to repeat their usual antics - Come in with a lot of hype, under-deliver and go out earlier than they are supposed to . Given the culture of overrated overpaid players dominating the English squad, it is perhaps the best they can achieve.

Would love to be surprised by Belgium - good players, not convinced by their managerial team though - Martinez and Henry.

Front runners to my mind are Brazil and Germany. France, Spain and Argentina (I am a big argentina and messi fan but skeptical of what they can do particularly on how they are approaching the tournament both on team strategy and on their own confidence).

I am looking forward to seeing how far Belgium can go. They have a pretty strong team on paper and they should or could be aspiring for semis or quarters.

Personally I would love for Spain or Argentina to win but looks difficult to me, more so for Argentina. Spain might still make a stronger challenge.

I will be cheering for Iceland. Theirs is one of those heartwarming stories. Best bet on them is to reach quarters and it'd be a great moment if they can punch above their weight, something they did in Euro 16.

Of the heavyweights, France has got the best squad IMO. Forget the starters, even their bench can make it to most playing 11's. Its whether Didier Deschamps can find right balance is the question. I'm sure they will reach the later stages of the tournament but the sheer efficiency of Germany/Brazil/Spain can overcome them.

The same can be said of Belgium. The so-called golden generation have world class players in all parts of the field. They start as one of the favourites but can they play as a team rather than a bunch of mercenaries?!

After a long time, there seems to be an air of serenity and optimism surrounding England. Whether thats a false dawn like before remains to be seen. Youngest squad, young manager this time. Lets see if Hurricane(Harry Kane) can fire them up.

Who do you think will win? Germany

Who do you want to win? Brazil/Argentina/Germany

I love Germany for the sole reason that they actually make the entire thing feel like a team effort. Most teams are a little different like for e.g. Argentina was taken care of last time by ensuring Messi was completely marked by 2-3 players all the time leaving no scope for a goal. This is a personal opinion and nothing to offend anyone. So so not take it otherwise

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghodlur (Post 4413768)
For a change I want an underdog like Nigeria or Mexico or Uruguay to win the world cup.

Its boring to see the usual contenders. Can someone put the schedule and group details for reference please?

Quote:

Originally Posted by strawhat (Post 4413842)
I will be cheering for Iceland. Theirs is one of those heartwarming stories.

The same can be said of Belgium. The so-called golden generation have world class players in all parts of the field. They start as one of the favourites but can they play as a team rather than a bunch of mercenaries?!

Would definitely be refreshing and enriching for the game if the world gets a new champion.

Apart, politics should stay away from a big stage such as the world cup, feeling bad about Nike and US doing towards Iran in the last minute.