Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2014, 15:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Self Drive Car / Jeep Rentals in Goa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Rohan, is this Ryan guy reliable? I have sent him 2 emails on two days but he does not even respond! I dont know... maybe it goes well with the generally laidback Goa style but I kind of find it weird when someone does not bother to respond to business mails!

Do you also have Zain's details? I need to book a self drive Innova for 3 days later this month in Goa.
I think these guys don't even check emails

I gave him a call yesterday morning, and he told me he will call back. When he didn't call back until evening, I gave him another call. Then he said he will ask one of his colleagues to call up (I think he was not working yesterday, as it was a feast day). Within 5 minutes, I got a call from his colleague Melwyn (08805828544).

Since Wagon R isn't available on the dates I want it, he offered Getz for the same price. He wanted additional charges 300 Rs to drop to the car to the airport on the first day, and another 300 Rs to pick it up from the airport on the last day.

After I spoke in Konkani, we got the deal sealed at 3200 Rs including everything but petrol, from 13th September late evening to 15 September afternoon.

Almost forgot: I have to keep my PAN card as collateral.

Last edited by rohanjf : 9th September 2014 at 15:07.
Old 9th September 2014, 15:11   #47
Team-BHP Support

Oh! So are you suggesting that I should call him up? I thought his website looks so high octane and all... 24x7 support and personal email of the owner etc.

Looks can be so deceptive! So do the rates given on his site hold good or he asks for more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post

I gave him a call yesterday morning, and he told me he will call back. When he didn't call back until evening, I gave him another call. Then he said he will ask one of his colleagues to call up (I think he was not working yesterday, as it was a feast day). Within 5 minutes, I got a call from his colleague Melwyn (08805828544).

Since Wagon R isn't available on the dates I want it, he offered Getz for the same price. He wanted additional charges 300 Rs to drop to the car to the airport on the first day, and another 300 Rs to pick it up from the airport on the last day.

After I spoke in Konkani, we got the deal sealed at 3200 Rs including everything but petrol, from 13th September late evening to 15 September afternoon.

Almost forgot: I have to keep my PAN card as collateral.
Old 9th September 2014, 15:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

I had a very good experience with Zain Travels in May. I rented a WagonR from there with yellow number plates for Rs 1000 a day for 5 days, plus 300 each for airport pickup and drop.

The car was in decent condition, with the 12V charger working. Only I felt that the clutch was at the end of its life, though the car had done only 28 K kms.

I found Mrs. Shamina to be very courteous and professional. Phone number is 097658 76416.

As petrol is cheaper than diesel, it makes sense to go for a petrol car.

Last edited by vnabhi : 9th September 2014 at 15:25.
Old 9th September 2014, 15:27   #49
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
What?!!! I did not get this piece... Petrol is cheaper than diesel in Goa? Really? I did not know this!

By the way, do you have Zain's number?
Old 9th September 2014, 15:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What?!!! I did not get this piece... Petrol is cheaper than diesel in Goa? Really? I did not know this!

By the way, do you have Zain's number?
Yup, diesel was around 60 and petrol was 59 approximately in May. I've posted Zain's number in the prior post.
Old 9th September 2014, 15:57   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
@Rajesh - what is advantage of taking a black-and-yellow plated car in Goa?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Though another t-bhpian silverwood and our friendly mod mobike008 who is currently in goa both hired the non yellow/black ones and have faced no trouble from the cops .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielthomas View Post
I called up Zain Travels few minutes back and they told me they could give me an Ritz with Black and Yellow number plates for 1400/day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Quote:
Rohan, is this Ryan guy reliable?
I have been going to Goa for ages now and have never used the same service ever in my life. My strong recommendation for anyone wanting to hire a car or bike in goa is this

1. Check into a hotel and and ask them first. If they cannot help, stroll on the road and there are plenty of folks who approach you or you can approach them for a car or bike. I always check with more than 2 people before finalizing a deal. So dont be hasty in booking something even before reaching goa as there are dime a dozen people out there renting out cars/bikes unless your travelling in thick of a season

2. I was in Goa in end-August and Day 1 took a Wagon R and Day 2-5,was a Swift Petrol

Both times they charged me Rs.1000/day for a car and kept just my PANCARD as collateral

Its always best to opt for a petrol hatch due to the point that Vnabhi mentioned of petrol being cheaper/on-par with diesel

And, about the white board and yellow board. Its just a farce. If your a family, you shouldnt be bothered which plate they give you as long as you get a cheaper deal. Yellow plates are in general Rs.200 more for the car

Hope this helps !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th September 2014 at 15:59.
Old 9th September 2014, 16:29   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
1. Check into a hotel and and ask them first. If they cannot help, stroll on the road and there are plenty of folks who approach you or you can approach them for a car or bike. I always check with more than 2 people before finalizing a deal. So dont be hasty in booking something even before reaching goa as there are dime a dozen people out there renting out cars/bikes unless your travelling in thick of a season
The issue here is, I'm going with my family that too my Mom is about 73 years old, so I thought it will be the best option to get a self drive car from the railway station itself, else I will have to hire a taxi, check in to the hotel and then hunt for a self drive car - so wanted to save this pain.
Old 9th September 2014, 17:29   #53
Senior - BHPian

I followed mobike008's recommendation in my Dec 2013 visit, and got an Alto K10 for Rs 900 a day with white number plates. It was a good rate during peak season. But when I called the same guy for this year's visit in May, he was reluctant. He said he'd rent his car only in North Goa, and as we were staying in the south, he asked us to contact a South Goa agency. Not really sure why.

However, it will cost you around 1000 to get a cab from the airport or Vasco station to Calangute. And another 1000 for a drop on your return trip. Keeping this in mind, we took a car from Zain at the airport itself, and they charged only Rs 300 for that facility.
Old 9th September 2014, 17:43   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The issue here is, I'm going with my family that too my Mom is about 73 years old, so I thought it will be the best option to get a self drive car from the railway station itself, else I will have to hire a taxi, check in to the hotel and then hunt for a self drive car - so wanted to save this pain.
We were 6 members inclusive of 2 children and 64yrs old mom so we couldnt have hired a hatch at airport considering we had lot of luggage so we decided to hire the Innova and paid Rs.1400 to and fro to airport and hired the hatch from a deal that I struck walking out of the hotel.

Hiring a car directly from airport makes sense only if your less members travelling and also luggage is less.
Old 10th September 2014, 10:20   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I had a very good experience with Zain Travels in May. I rented a WagonR from there with yellow number plates for Rs 1000 a day for 5 days, plus 300 each for airport pickup and drop.

The car was in decent condition, with the 12V charger working. Only I felt that the clutch was at the end of its life, though the car had done only 28 K kms.

I found Mrs. Shamina to be very courteous and professional. Phone number is 097658 76416.

I had made my reservation just now. I spoke to Mrs. Shamina and we had the deal for the below itinerary:

Car Booked: Maruti Ritz/Petrol
Type of Registration: Yellow Number plates
Cost: Rs 1400/Day (total 3 days - 4200)
Deposit: Rs. 5000 which will be refunded when I return the car back
Total: Rs.9200 (including deposit)
Pick Up/Drop off Points: Vasco Railway station
Old 10th September 2014, 10:58   #56
BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn't vote for this either. I called them up to enquire and book a self drive car, the call got disconnected mid way and they did not bother to call back. The way that guy spoke was also very unprofessional.

Just my view.
Yes, this is true. Dont know if I updated this thread or not, but the car that was supposed to meet me at the airport, never showed up. So they are not so professional after all.
Old 10th September 2014, 11:16   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had made my reservation just now. I spoke to Mrs. Shamina and we had the deal for the below itinerary:

Car Booked: Maruti Ritz/Petrol
Type of Registration: Yellow Number plates
Cost: Rs 1400/Day (total 3 days - 4200)
Deposit: Rs. 5000 which will be refunded when I return the car back
Total: Rs.9200 (including deposit)
Pick Up/Drop off Points: Vasco Railway station
Nice to know this. Are you sure the Ritz is a petrol one? If yes, the rate seems high. I too was offered a Ritz for Rs 1400, but it was a diesel one. This was in May, 2014. I chose a WagonR for Rs 1000 a day instead.

I was referred to Zain by gadgetfreak. After me, two more bhpians have used their service: Rajesh Rawal and Silverwood.

Last edited by vnabhi : 10th September 2014 at 11:21.
Old 10th September 2014, 11:51   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Oh! So are you suggesting that I should call him up? I thought his website looks so high octane and all... 24x7 support and personal email of the owner etc.

Looks can be so deceptive! So do the rates given on his site hold good or he asks for more?
This is true, I have been trying to following him up for two weeks, and still no response. So I went in for Zain travels.

Their site, prices and their fleet seems very attractive though!
Old 10th September 2014, 12:07   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is true, I have been trying to following him up for two weeks, and still no response. So I went in for Zain travels.

Their site, prices and their fleet seems very attractive though!
Just called up Ryan. He said the same that he told Rohan. Sounded to me pretty gruff and bossy types! Said, his colleague will give a call back. In between he wanted to know where I am staying in Goa. Looks to me like a regular drill. What they probably do is that they enquire with the hotel to check the veracity of your stay. Let's see whether I get the call back.

In the meantime I spoke to Mrs. Shamina from Zain Travels. She is a much more nice and professional sounding person. Challenge is that she does not have Innova. She is offering me an Ertiga for my group of 7. After much negotiation she has agreed for 1800 per day (comparatively Ryan's site says 1700 for Innova). But she wants to charge me for 4 days when actually I am renting it for less than 3 days if you go by the hour. Also, I am not sure whether Ertiga will end up being a little too cramped for 7 people!

Last edited by Zappo : 10th September 2014 at 12:08.
Old 10th September 2014, 14:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounded to me pretty gruff and bossy types! Said, his colleague will give a call back.
True, he sounds as if he is doing you a favour!
Good for him, the other person (Melwyn) has much gentler tone.

Quote:
But she wants to charge me for 4 days when actually I am renting it for less than 3 days if you go by the hour.
I think this is their standard practice. Even in my case, I am taking the car on 13th at 6.30 PM and returning it on 15th at 1.30 PM. Number of hours is 43. But they consider the dates, and not the hours!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks