Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2017, 17:59   #106
BHPian

Re: Self Drive Car / Jeep Rentals in Goa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zezé View Post
No hotel or resort would like to have some agitating taxi drivers crowding the entrance and getting negative publicity, so most of the big resorts have entered into agreements with the taxi union, who use a roster to allocate drives to the members.

This portion made me smile ,the car rented by me was sharing the parking space with the taxis at 'their' taxi stand right outside the resort

Either ways some good insights there

On a side note half of hyd seemed to be in goa during the long weekend

Cheerio..
Old 16th October 2017, 10:05   #107
BHPian

+1 for Jain travels. Went to Goa a week long vacation last week. I got grey swift which had run 14k kms only, in pristine condition. Kudos to Shamina & her team. Highly recommended.
Thanks to the referrals from this forum, as always.
Old 26th October 2017, 11:20   #108
Team-BHP Support

Zain travels is now a directory entry. People who've used their services, please vote on the poll in the thread below. Thanks.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...avels-goa.html
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2018, 23:58   #109

I was in Goa in early Jan with my wife and 4 yr old daughter for a pleasure trip.
I zeroed down on Zain Travels after reading great feedback on Team-BHP.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...avels-goa.html

My experience using their services was mixed.

Pre-booking - Very Good
Spoke to Ms. Shamina to enquire about the prices, availability and rental rules in general. She was very helpful in sharing all the details and followed up regularly until I finalized the plan. She even offered to help plan my itinerary in case I am visiting Goa for the first time which I politely refused sensing some business motive in selling packages.(Don't blame them as they are in Tourism business).

Booking - Good
Confirmed my booking for Wagon R for 5 days including arrival and departure dates - @ Rs 1000/day. Including pickup and drop days, which I think is fair as car would be with me for good part of the day. Transferred Rs. 1000 via Paytm as booking amount. Note that I am not a regular Paytm user and had to install Paytm just to fulfill their need. Ms Shamina confirmed the booking on WhatsApp. The remaining booking amount (Rs 4000) + Security Deposit(Rs. 5000) to be paid on arrival along with some Original ID card. Before departure to Goa, to avoid carrying too much of cash, I checked with Ms. Shamina to see I can pay the remaining booking amount via Paytm upon arrival which she refused and insisted on cash, which I agreed to.

Arrival and Pickup Process - Good
Upon landing in Goa, took the pre-paid taxi for Rs. 200 from Airport to the pickup location. The pickup location was in the middle of a busy market area in Vasco. The staff of Zain travels were waiting for us on the road and as soon as we reached they helped with taking the luggage out and within 5 mins brought the shining Wagon R. I was impressed with the overall upkeep and cleanliness of the car. Completed the formalities in their office. Took not more than 5 mins. As had agreed with them, paid Rs. 9000 in cash for remaining booking amount and security deposit. No paperwork though, just a text message confirming the paid amount. The petrol was at 2 bars and as per Ms. Shamina, each bar is roughly 4Lts of Petrol. They expected to bring the car back at 2 bars or pay for 4 Lts. per bar. So far so good. Though I did a high level inspection of the car for the damages but since it was a busy market area couldn't do the kind of inspection I wanted. Took the pictures of the car and left. The staff showed the way to nearest Petrol pump to fill up the gas and here we we were all set to explore Goa.

Usage - Good
Overall, the car was good and performed as expected. One issue I realized after going a distance was that all the three backseat belt buckles were missing. Apparently the car guys took these out while putting seat covers. I had to be extra cautious the entire time I was driving to ensure I don't speedup, no jerks and sudden stops. Not that I do these things while driving but I had to be extra vigilant being aware of my daughter not buckled up in the back seat. Next 5 days went fine with car, no issues whatsoever.

Drop Process and Departure - Very Poor - This is where Zain travels screwed up.
Informed Ms. Shamina of arrival time at the drop location. She confirmed that a cab will be arranged to drop to the airport at Rs 200 and someone will take care of formalities. She wouldn't be available. On the way filled up enough to take the fuel meter to 2 bars.
Upon reaching, the staff inspected the car for damages, verified petrol at 2 bars. Though didn't like the level of inspection they did(read under the car etc.) as there were no pics taken or shared that could have proved damage before and after. Anyways, no damage found and go-ahead to refund the money given to Mr. Zain. This is where the entire customer service took a bad turn. Mr. Zain refunded Rs 4000 in cash and said rat Rs 1000 will be done via Paytm. Very clearly told him that I am not Paytm user and hence expect cash. I also emphasized on the fact that security was given as cash and hence refund should be cash as well. I also reminded him that this was not informed at anytime during booking or pickup process.
At this point, Mr. Zain got a bit rude. He wanted me to take the money via Paytm and transfer it back to bank account. To which I politely refused and insisted on getting cash. He became very rude at this point and said thats the only way we pay (In other words he meant, do whatever you want to do). Reminded him that I came here just because there were good online reviews and his behavior/tone will cause business damage to him. He made a blunt statement saying one negative review will not change anything. I knew that there is no point giving business sense and insisted on getting cash only. Few seconds later, after few people started gathering around, he gave the cash. By this time, they had already lost a customer for just Rs. 1000. Anyways, further, I was told there is no cab arranged and one of their staff members will drop me in the same car (which I had paid Rs 1000 for that day) and I would still be charged Rs 200. At this time, I was so frustrated that I just gave him the money and took off.

This was a bit of unfortunate end to my otherwise fabulous trip.
LiveToTravel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2018, 09:18   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToTravel View Post
... Mr. Zain refunded Rs 4000 in cash and said rat Rs 1000 will be done via Paytm. Very clearly told him that I am not Paytm user and hence expect cash. I also emphasized on the fact that security was given as cash and hence refund should be cash as well ...

... Few seconds later, after few people started gathering around, he gave the cash ...
That's really wrong on their part. How can he force you to take Paytm when you had given him cash..!!

On top of it, creating ruckus over this is simply unacceptable.

I guess too many positive reviews on internet are making them arrogant.
Old 10th March 2018, 03:14   #111
BHPian

Self driven cars available near club Mahindra Varca and emerald palms.

I recently went to club Mahindra and stayed in both the resorts ie. Varca and emerald palms.

Review of the resort - Emerald palms is much better than Varca as a resort and seems more happening. There food is certainly much better and the rooms are much more comfortable. We had a one bedroom apartment which had two toilets and a larger bed in emerald palms.

Car Rental Scene - There are so many car rentals near both these resorts. The trick is to take a car from the neighbourhood and keep it parked there as the resort will not allow it.

I took a brand new Jan reg i10 sports from Mrs LoBo @1500 per day for a week. The car was good but had no music system. This they plan to buy. It also needed a parking sensor as well as a rear Gaurd.

My take on white plates is that Police can stop you. I got away as I had kids with me and I really can smooth talk to any cop as I am a lawyer. If you are a couple just take a two wheeler and save money.

Taxi union scene - They are monopolistic politically shielded idiots who don’t care a damn about tourism or Goa since they have enjoy political patronage irrespective of who is in power. All the big resorts are afraid of them and pay local mediators as security heads to keep them controlled. In my case I just wanted to shift from one resort to another at a distance of two kms. I asked for the price from a Innova owner and I was quoted 300. Suddenly he snapped and said 400. This made me really angry as my family was about to board with the luggage. I reminded him coolly about his quote to which he started acting smart. I took a stand here to which he said he was the owner of the taxi and not a driver. He will as a favour charge 300. I told him I don’t need his favour and he can go to which he said no person from the union will take me. After a lot of resort union talk another guy took us.

Goa is a jewel which should not be destroyed by petty laws and unions. Ola and Uber is the answer which should be here. Self driven cars and bikes are normal all over the world so why not in Goa. Why make India a difficult place to do business or Travel when the whole world is becoming simpler. We have increased our stress levels so much because of stupid bureaucracy and there rules. We must learn to take a stand and come above such an idiotic setup.

Regards
Sameer

Last edited by Eddy : 16th July 2018 at 14:55. Reason: Spacing + typos + profanity + politics
sameeracer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2018, 00:43   #112
BHPian

Rented a petrol swift for 2 days recently in North Goa from Rohan Car rental. Paid 2,400/- as rental for 2 days and 1,000/- deposit. They got the car to our hotel (La Calypso), took a video of the car and gave the deposit and my Aadhar to the rental guys.

Drove around the beaches of North Goa, I was told not to take the car to South Goa as cops are harassing tourists driving self drive rentals. I don't know how much of that was true. Car had private number plates, had clocked some 90K kms, petrol LXi.

I returned the car after 2 days, the rental guys came to the hotel to collect the car. They checked the car inside out, gave me the deposit and my Aadhar card back and left. Good experience, will highly recommend them.

My hotel had no issues with me parking the car at their premises.

https://www.facebook.com/www.goarohancarrentals.co.in/

Last edited by sinharishi : 9th May 2018 at 00:44.
sinharishi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2018, 13:28   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveToTravel View Post
My experience using their services was mixed.
Since I've had a pretty good experience with Zain, I pinged Shamina (Owner) with the link to your review. She is not a member and wanted me to post this clarification. Reproduced verbatim after some Grammatical corrections.

Quote:
Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you and for the behaviour you came across. Will see that in future nothing happens.

As far you mentioned about the pics of the car we don’t deliver the cars without taking the pics sir. pics must have definitely taken. Pics as on our mobile is also taken and customer is asked to take pics or if he is comfortable we take the pics of the car for him too.

Where is the deposit is concerned paytm is refunded via paytm but I accept the mistake we didn't clear this to you before as nobody before that had ever objected accepting paytm of rs 1000. Now after this we will mention paytm will be refunded via paytm and cash via cash.

We do arrange taxis for drop but since its a tourist place if tourist are more we don’t get taxis and there is no OLA or uber facility. And due to demand if fewer taxis are there they charge rs 400 for airport. In that case we only drop the customer to save time and rather to wait for the taxi.

But since we are not allowed to drop or pick the customer the amount if rs 200 which is charged for the customer straight away goes to the traffic police as for the setting at the airport as they also know we run self-driven business since it’s a small town and they are also aware of it so if we drop that charges are paid to them.

We do it only for the convenience of the customer the money is not for us
Old 10th May 2018, 23:45   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Since I've had a pretty good experience with Zain, I pinged Shamina (Owner) with the link to your review. She is not a member and wanted me to post this clarification. Reproduced verbatim after some Grammatical corrections.
Thanks Eddy for your feedback. While I have nothing against Zain Travels and Ms Shamina definitely seems to be nice lady, but her co-worker(I believe her husband) had not etiquettes to talk. She did not refer to the rude and unprofessional conversation that I had to go through in your posted comment. Also, I would like to clarify that underbody pictures were neither shared with me nor I had taken it as it was impractical to take pictures in the middle of busy market.
My only suggestion to other travelers: if you chose to use Zain Travels, ensure you only deal with Ms. Shamina. Her co-worker(her husband) isn't the person you would want to talk to as he does not know how to talk to a customer.
LiveToTravel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 10:15   #115
BHPian

Self Drive Car / Jeep Rentals in Goa?

Just to caution people going for renting a private numbered car in Goa, it is getting a notorious place as regards private car rentals. Apparently, the cab drivers/commercial renters are unhappy that people come and rent private numbered cars - which is illegal by any means - thereby affecting their business. I had a very bad experience two-three years back when a rashly driven two wheeler (by a minor) bumped into my rented car and the people gathered there trying to harass us. One of the comments passed by a person was that people come and rent private numbered cars illegally and then commit crimes. If there are commercial rentals available I would suggest go for that or else be very careful while driving. People can easily identify if it is a tourist driving the car or a local.

Last edited by Car-riedAway : 11th May 2018 at 10:18.
Car-riedAway is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 12:45   #116
BHPian

Any recent updates on the Self Rental scenes in Goa? Any operators offering proper licenced Yellow on Black plate cars for rental? Or are we still at the mercy of the "police setting" done by private car rental operators?
Old 13th July 2018, 22:19   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameeracer View Post
Self driven cars available near club Mahindra Varca and emerald palms.
.............Car Rental Scene - There are so many car rentals near both these resorts. The trick is to take a car from the neighbourhood and keep it parked there as the resort will not allow it.
I took a brand new Jan reg i10 sports from Mrs LoBo @1500 per day for a week. The car was good but had no music system. This they plan to buy. It also needed a parking sensor as well as a rear Gaurd.......

We are planning trip to Goa early next month and will be staying at Club Mahindra, Varca.

Whilst it is our plan to laze around the resort most of the time, we do want to go out on one of the days and visit friends in and around Madgaon.

Is it possible to rent a car for only a day? And can you educate me regarding the white number plates?
Old 16th July 2018, 14:35   #118
BHPian

Had rented a white board Swift VXI at Panjim in April fully aware of the consequences. After 2 incident free days, we were stopped by RTO staff at the entrance to Aguada Fort. Small talk didn't help. They wanted to confiscate the car and ordered us to leave by a taxi or auto. My insistence that the car was my friend's and not rental service also was fruitless. They were simply not ready to be convinced. After a bit of dilly-dallying, we settled on an amount (negotiated from 3k to 1k). All they wanted was to rake in some moolah from hapless tourists. Eventually I had to pay it to be let off. That was their motive all this time.

Went straight back to the rental agent, returned the car and got the fine refunded after a lot of haggling. An otherwise enjoyable trip, ended on a sour note. In hindsight, I should not have hired a private car. This hassle with officials is simply not worth it. Would rather rent black board 2 wheelers, which are aplenty.
strawhat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 16:18   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Rohan car rentals have added cars with black and yellow plates to their fleet.
sinharishi is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2018, 15:14   #120
BHPian

I had traveled to Goa about a few weeks ago, stayed in a beautiful Airbnb at Calangute. My Airbnb host helped arrange for a self-drive rental for me from one Mr. Savio (+91 98221 24723). We paid INR 1300 per day plus 2000 INR security deposit for a brand new Maruti Swift VXI.

The car was about 3 months old and had done about 18,000 kilometers. The car was in great condition, absolutely neat and clean, drove like a charm, and had a few minor battle scars that one can expect from any rental car.

Bonus: The car had an Aux cable and a USB drive pre-loaded with some great English songs as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Self Drive Car / Jeep Rentals in Goa?-img_1200.jpg  

Self Drive Car / Jeep Rentals in Goa?-img_1261.jpg  

Self Drive Car / Jeep Rentals in Goa?-img_1360.jpg  

Self Drive Car / Jeep Rentals in Goa?-img_1417.jpg  

TejasKinger is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks