Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2009, 11:25   #466
BHPian

Hey Manu. Ok. Firstly, set the throttle trim to nuetral position. You can make out by adjusting it in such a way that it just about releases the brakes. Now when you start the engine and notice the rpm is really high, slighlty turn the rpm screw in 1/8 turns in anti clockwise direction till it slows down and the wheels stop moving. If the wheels move a little bit, its ok too.

Make sure you keep a rag of cloth under the area where the exhaust is so that the oil doesn't spill all around the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu7781 View Post
Hi guys finally managed to get the air filter off the carb and get the engine started (with help of Manish) and set the carb to ideal position.

Current situation - After starting the engine after that setting I trimmed the throttle on remote so that wheel does not move and clutch is not engaged but the wheels are still moving. All the needles are at the factory settings. As per the HPI manual wheels should not move. I am also monitoring the temp (using my hand) . Once it starts the engine ideals for few second then gains speed and the wheel start rotating.

Am I doing something wrong. Please guys help me out.
Old 15th March 2009, 14:56   #467
BHPian

HPI Baja 5t / 5b

Hi guys..

Anyone here own the baja 5t or 5b?

I am looking at getting one soon (KIT) and would really appreciate some advice on any extra gyaan..There are CBU's and kits starting from USD 500 on EBay.

I have had a couple of nitro buggys..This would be my first GAS powered buggy..

P.S I am really keen on getting the tricked out 5B SS version with the 30.5cc motor but somehow feel that the 26cc fuelie motor is a safer bet on reliability.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Cheers..

Prasad
Old 15th March 2009, 16:44   #468
BHPian

Caution

Hey GTR. The HPI Baja is a very neat Gasoline powered vehicle with tons of fun and reliability. However you must beware that there are a lot of chinese buggies in the market that are almost identical and come with the 30 cc engines.

The original HPI bajas come with the 23cc fuelie and 26cc fuelie engines only. If its a 30 cc, then there is a doubt on originality.

So yes, if you get the original 26cc fuelie in the Baja SS kit, go for it. Great buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Hi guys..

Anyone here own the baja 5t or 5b?

I am looking at getting one soon (KIT) and would really appreciate some advice on any extra gyaan..There are CBU's and kits starting from USD 500 on EBay.

I have had a couple of nitro buggys..This would be my first GAS powered buggy..

P.S I am really keen on getting the tricked out 5B SS version with the 30.5cc motor but somehow feel that the 26cc fuelie motor is a safer bet on reliability.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Cheers..

Prasad
Old 15th March 2009, 19:30   #469
Senior - BHPian

My first video on the SledgeHammer, Excuse the low quality and the occasional swear word. Will borrow a video cam and do it better next time.

I think the truck is shifting too early. Can you make it from the sound? Should I advance the shift time?

Old 15th March 2009, 22:26   #470
BHPian

@R32_GTR: Hi, have the baja 5B SS which comes with the 26cc engine only originally. I got that from the US in kit form and built it. It is amazing go for it!
Old 16th March 2009, 19:56   #471
BHPian

Thanks guys..

There are fully built options (The advert says "professional built") and kit options..

I somehow have my doubts about fully built ones as they might not use the SS 2.0 version parts.

Is the kit a lot of work?
Old 16th March 2009, 21:45   #472
BHPian

Not at all. Its like putting peices of a puzzle together. Especially knowing what goes where cos you have a manual. You'll enjoy every bit of building it and will also get to know the deatils of the bug. So maintainance will be a breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R32_GTR View Post
Thanks guys..

There are fully built options (The advert says "professional built") and kit options..

I somehow have my doubts about fully built ones as they might not use the SS 2.0 version parts.

Is the kit a lot of work?
Old 17th March 2009, 00:07   #473
Senior - BHPian

Talking about clones and chinese buggies, heres what I came across some time ago.
Kingmotor Racing High Performance R/C Car Products.

Supposed to be identical in construction to the HPI Baja. Definately the parts used will not match the HPI quality, but good for someone who is ok with a clone. The good news is that all the parts are easily replacable with OE HPI parts. Many claim that the engine is the same and the OE supplier to HPI is the suppling to this clone.

Himoto too has a similar clone with a truck brother:
::: HIMOTORACING.COM :::

::: HIMOTORACING.COM :::

Last edited by mail4ajo : 17th March 2009 at 00:08.
Old 19th March 2009, 17:20   #474
BHPian

I need some advise.

Im having a friend get me a Traxxas Rustler VXL when he comes back from the US.
I was wondering if it would be possible for me to get the battery and charger over here or if i should ask him to get me a battery and charger as well.

Is there any store in Bangalore that i could pick up the battery and charger from?
Old 19th March 2009, 20:37   #475
Senior - BHPian

If its VXL, I would suggest LIPOs. For normal NiCD or NiMh, if your application is very basic, you can get a fast charger.

I got a Team Orion, 7.2V 4200mah SHO battery recently. Issue is it takes 2+hrs to charge with a basic charger. If you are planning more batteries and going Lipo, makes sense to invest in a good charger which I am shortly.

There are many stores and dealers in Bangalore. Search this thread.

Last edited by mail4ajo : 19th March 2009 at 20:38.
Old 20th March 2009, 05:45   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu7781 View Post
Hi guys,
I need some expert opinion on which nitro R/c to buy. I have two option:
1. HPI Savage X 4.6 (monster truck)
2. HPI MT2 3.0 (Truggy)

I was considering MT2 but on some forums i read that its front end is weak and alot of bashing and jump can really ruin things for you. Is that right?
Hey Manu7781,

I would suggest that you go for the HPI Savage 4.6. It's an awesome RC car which can do great stunts without the fear of it breaking down. I purchased 4.6 with reverse and spent my entire weekend driving it. Go in for 4.6 with reverse which gives an extra edge when u are stuck in corners.
Old 20th March 2009, 11:48   #477
BHPian

Just added a HPI Racing Savage XL 5.9 to the collection. Just finished the breakin process with 16% tornado fuel. Will be fine tuning it this weekend. Planning to use 30% tornado fuel for daily running.

Any tips on how to achieve optimum performance from the 5.9 engine?

do you think 30% is too high?

Should i go for tornado or local blend which costs half the price?

Will post pics soon.
Old 21st March 2009, 13:15   #478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.P.M View Post
Just added a HPI Racing Savage XL 5.9 to the collection. Just finished the breakin process with 16% tornado fuel. Will be fine tuning it this weekend. Planning to use 30% tornado fuel for daily running.

Any tips on how to achieve optimum performance from the 5.9 engine?

do you think 30% is too high?

Should i go for tornado or local blend which costs half the price?

Will post pics soon.
How much is that 30% Tornado?

I saw the 5.9 Savage XL in Singapore recently, Ok bottom end but weak up top, but the 3 speed makes up for it.

Make sure you setup the tranny to shift up a bit earlier to make use of that bottom end.

Anything more than 20% will give only marginal improvements at best.

And all the best with your fuel mileage
Old 21st March 2009, 13:50   #479
BHPian

@ Mura - hahaha, it worst than my old daewoo cielo when it comes to mileage. Will be adjusting the third gear to shift a little early than the factory setting.

Will be fine tuning it tommorow, tornado 30% costs Rs 3700 for a 5 ltr can.

So far so good, no problems yet.
Old 22nd March 2009, 17:35   #480
Senior - BHPian

My first accident in RC. I busted the shock of the Sparrowhawk after a very fast hit. Luckily only the oil leaked away. I disassembled the whole thing to rebuild only to realize that I didnt have the shock oil.

I assembled it as per manual. Is it ok to run it like that till I fill the oil? Will it harm any other components? Also what type of shock oil do I need to get and what quatity?

Last edited by mail4ajo : 22nd March 2009 at 17:40.

Most Viewed