Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2007, 06:50   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it the airlines or is it the system at our airports? My brother came on Air France 3rd week of December, and baggage was delayed. AF doesnt seem to have much to give their passengers for such instances.

Co-incidentally, his prev 3 trips, all on BA, have been the same - delayed baggage. But atleast BA was courteous enough to compensate a little.
Old 6th January 2007, 17:27   #47
Team-BHP Support

Just FYI,

I just got back to the US on BA 2 days ago. There was 1hour between my connecting flights, and i just about made it. Needless to say my check in baggage didnt.

However, around 23hours later i get a phonecall saying my bag is on the way, and at midnight a guy in a minivan shows up, drops the bag at my doorstep and asks "is this your bag?" i say "yes" and he says "ok, have a good night".
No paperwork, no signature, no verification of ID.

I guess all's well that ends well.

cya
R
Old 7th January 2007, 00:35   #48
Senior - BHPian

Good to know that you received your bag without much delay Rehaan.Anything missing? You should have checked you bag before the chap who delivered it left.
Old 7th January 2007, 01:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

I had a bad experience with Kuwait airways, flying from Kuwait to Chennai enroute from the US.

Was one of the last to board the flight...attendant says overhead bins are full and need to check in my hand baggage. When I reach Chennai, a $300 watch I had bought for my mom is gone. Both airport and airline are blaming each other and nobody is ready to compensate.

Never flying them again.
Old 8th January 2007, 03:59   #50
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar experience with United Airways. I got my bag 10 days late and even though I was promised that it would be couriered to my house I had to go to the airport to pick it up. All bags that pass through the US will most probably be opened. I found a note from the US Security department telling me that my bag had been opened and checked. Nothing was missing though

Since United Airways doesnt fly to Mumbai my baggage was handled by Jet Airways. I just loved their service and their planes. The staff is polite and helpful and their planes are brand new (with recaro seats) with really good in flight entertainment and inflight dining. Iv decided to fly only with Jet from now on after a horrible experience with United and cant wait until they start flying to the US.
Old 8th January 2007, 07:50   #51
BHPian

BA sucks. I just flew down to Boston on the 2nd and at heathrow I asked them if my 5 bags had been loaded. The response was 4 bags have been loaded and one has not been seen.

I had checked in all 5 bags together, they had priority tags, and yet they had loaded 4 together and one hadn't been 'seen'. Luckily no bags were lost and all 5 reached Boston Logan but it still is a pain to wonder whether all my bags would reach in time or no
Old 8th January 2007, 09:14   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess? View Post
BA sucks. I just flew down to Boston on the 2nd and at heathrow I asked them if my 5 bags had been loaded. The response was 4 bags have been loaded and one has not been seen.
Moral of the story......
TRAVEL LIGHT!!!!!!
Old 22nd January 2007, 18:46   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8uLoose View Post
Moral of the story......
TRAVEL LIGHT!!!!!!
Seems that it applies to wallets also. This happened to someone known to me. The arrogant stance of BA led to this

URL=http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=britishairwayscase0nt.jpg][/url]

This email is doing the rounds so think of the viral de"marketing" happening
Old 23rd January 2007, 00:33   #54
DRC
BHPian

Yes,
BA sucks big time.. My experience with them was terrifying.

I was booked on BA from SFO to Bangalore. Things have started going wrong from the very min My company booked the tickets.

Route was.. SFO- Chicago- London - New delhi- Bangalore. as on their website and the paper ticket which was rescheduled changing the date of travel. When I called to confirm they gave me a different route. SFO - Chicago- London - Mumbai- Bangalore. I was confused. asked them to correct and reconfirm.

they confirmed the later. but this time bigger error. Arrive at Mumbai 18 June 2003, Mumbai- Bangalore on 19 January 2004. 6 manoths in airport .

Second time even this got corrected. or did it?

On the day of journey, I went to San Fransisco airpoort for an early morning flight to Chicago only to be told my American airlines (AA operated BA route) that they wont let me board the flight. and the clerk at the counter do not have a clue why? She spoke to their london office and for 40 mins on phone holding the que till which time many standing behind me missed their flight (I assume), and finally told me I had to pay BA about $124 towards the correction of the ticket (second time 6 months delay! for their mistake) . I offered to pay her the money and she would not accept because that has to ba collected by BA not AA. I missed my flight.

She was good enough to offer me a place in next 2 flights by which I was still able to catch the Chicago London flight provided I search a BA office and pay $124. And none of the BA offices open till 12:25 in the noon. By which time all the possible flights for me to London would have left.

My options were over. No one would budge and give me a boarding. Finally I came back knowing I can not fly that day. I was like a dog on the street. Checked out hotel, returned the car, baggage in hand went to office and explained to my travel desk. Our travel assistant Tanya spoke to BA in London and they unapologetically repeated thay couldn't have put me on anyflight anyway. My visa was expiring the next day and I had to leave US. They said also refused to put me on any next day flights because they are running full. Our company said we wont fly BA any more and ended.

Same after noon 2:00, Lufthansa was contacted and by 5:20 I had printed boarding passes for business class confirmed tickets for next day....

One more horror story started at Lufthansa but this one was handled better.
Old 23rd January 2007, 00:52   #55
Senior - BHPian

Thats a whole lotta pain they put you through DRC .
Old 23rd January 2007, 08:10   #56
DRC
BHPian

And not to mention the money my company lost on that ticket and the new airline.
Old 23rd January 2007, 16:00   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

That is truly a disgusting tale DRC. Did your company not press charges against BA?
Old 23rd January 2007, 16:34   #58
Team-BHP Support

While we're discussing the topic on misplaced and missing baggage here, lemme give u some terms and lingo which are used in the airline industry with respect to the same. Worked on a project for SITA (Baggage Management people for about 400 different airlines), which involved a tracing system for missing baggage. Sam Kapasi had mentioned DPR, which is why i am explaining the other terms involved.

AHL : This is raised by the customer when a bag goes missing.
OHD : When a piece of baggage is found at some transit location or airport, they raise an OHD message with the bag details.
DPR : Damaged and Pilfered Report is raised when the customer realizes that his baggage has been damaged or goods stolen from it.
CFD : This is done when a bag which was reported missing (AHL) has been located, and damage observed. The AHL file is closed, and a DPR file created.
RFP : Created for missing items not including baggage. Can include umbrellas, cameras and so on.

Many other functional terms or transactions involved, but these are the main ones. Hope this infop proves to be of some use to u guys.
To add with a matter of pride, i did the coding for the OHD , CFD and RFP transactions.
Old 4th April 2007, 18:56   #59
Senior - BHPian

I never keep ANY important documents/items in the checked in baggage. Its just clothes and stuff which can be replaced. I have developed a paronia towards checked baggage because of the number of times I have seen friends coming empty handed (They thought they could lighten the load on themselves by checking in everything !!) or broken baggage plastered all over with sticky tape !!
Old 7th April 2007, 00:59   #60
Senior - BHPian

Well the story continues,my lady landed today morning by BA in Bangalore.
As expected BA lived up to their name BAGGAGE AFTERWARDS this time around again. Saw at least 4 passengers complaining and walking past that their baggage dint reach Bangalore.

Was asked to fill up the baggage claims form and that the missing bags will reach us in 2 days time.

Now need to wait and watch if BAGGAGE AFTERWARDS will deliver the delayed bags as BAGGAGE ALTERED .

Most Viewed