Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2006, 15:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Can we take British Airways to task??

Hey guys, just wanted to share my to be better halves experience travelling to Seattle in BA.

We did a direct check-in for the luggage to Seattle from Bangalore and as usual transit was at Heathrow.This was done to only get rid of the hassle of going through the pain of checking in the luggage once again at Heathrow.
Am sure most of you guys know how chaotic Heathrow is.

The problem begins with the luggage reaching my better half 15 days late and the baggage has been tampered with.
(Please read tampered as the bag has been opened and things missing)

The trolley bag has been damaged beyond further use, because the trolley wheels and handle have gone for a toss and also the number lock code has been changed to what it was set to earlier.Hence she had to break open the lock.

Now a few things have gone missing in the bag. The camera charger and the usual supply of shampoos and creames women carry .

2nd bag arrives today in the morning and same case. Bag has been damaged beyond further use and Gods grace the digital camera and everythin else is intact.

My question here is :

Is there any kind of customer redressal forum where we can lodge a compliant aganist BA and have them answer or even better pay for the damage and the baggage tampering.
I really dont want these dudes to go scott free. Loosers have the adocity open bags steal stuff,damage and then deliver late.

I am sure one thing that you guys would suggest here would be that, she shouldnt have accepted the baggage.
She did tell the guy who delieverd the bag about the same and he said that she would have to contact BA.

Trust me folks this never has happened to me in India or even on my travel abroad .Sad for a fact that an international airlines has rendered this kind of service.

Thanks in advance for you replies guys.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 28th December 2006 at 15:51.
Old 28th December 2006, 16:06   #2
BHPian

You should first talk to BA, please check their rules (International Aviation rules too typically printed on the ticket jacket or wherever). There are well defined rules for compensation if the baggage gets delayed or gets damaged. Our baggage was delayed by a day or so in Tokyo and the Japan Airlines paid us to buy a pair of clothes (cant recall how much, but a reasonable amount). Your best bet is to contact BA immediately, ideally you should have done it at the destination airport itself.
Old 28th December 2006, 16:10   #3
Team-BHP Support

You should have got a landing certificate when collecting the bags stating the condition and the evidence of tampering
Old 28th December 2006, 16:12   #4
BHPian

My Uncle took a BA Flight from San Fransisco to Mumbai via London.
when he landed in Mumbai, One of his checked in suitcase was missing, After complaining, He somehow found that Suitcase have been detained in London because of a suspicious liquid in it( There was a Shampoo Bottle).
After calling BA several times, He got his TAMPERED Suitcase after 10 days with some important things missing like his GSM mobile, Some Electronic Toys etc.

Moreover his costly suitcase was not in a condition to be used anymore.
I thought this may be a stray incident but after seeing your post, cannot resist mentioning it.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 7th January 2007 at 07:30. Reason: for using full quote
Old 28th December 2006, 16:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

One of my colleagues had exactly the same incident with BA that you have mentioned. But BA refused a refund of his camera based on some fine print on his ticket. He lost his camera thus. I have heard far too many issues with BA. It is definitely worth being wary of them.

You can talk to BA and see if they can resolve your issue. It is good that you are thinking of taking them to the court.
Old 28th December 2006, 16:15   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your reply Sreenivass and Ajmat, but Sreenivass please read baggage arrives 15 days late and the last piece came in today in the morning and was delivered at the residence.For sure will take your suggestion on this and pass this info.
@Ajmat that has been mentioned on the paper she had to sign on. Under the comments column she has mentioned that the baggage has been tampered and damaged.

I really am thinking on taking them to court guys, but once again dont knw if this would happen coz you know how women are when it comes to such a thing.2 years back on my return from Dublin my baggage was also tampered, things were missing and I was helpless then thinking there isnt much we can do about it.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 28th December 2006 at 16:19.
Old 28th December 2006, 16:20   #7
BHPian

well you can call them, that is the best and fastest thing to do to resolve the issue.

then getting to the issue of opening the bags and everything else, this is just not with BA others do it too. virgin air did it to me, Thai did this too, emirates then few others too. i travel every few months. only answer you are going to get is we are very sorry, security checks saw something in the bag,etc..
my tip to you would be looks like you just wanna' vent off on somebody at BA. call the second most senior guy they can get on telephone, let him hear about it. and make sure if they take more than 5 min or it is a girl just ask politely something to be done about it.

just kidding this happens to lots of people every day, not much we can do other than take our business to other airliners.
Old 28th December 2006, 16:41   #8
BHPian

talk to BA before going to court

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Thanks for your reply Sreenivass and Ajmat, but Sreenivass please read baggage arrives 15 days late and the last piece came in today in the morning and was delivered at the residence.For sure will take your suggestion on this and pass this info.
@Ajmat that has been mentioned on the paper she had to sign on. Under the comments column she has mentioned that the baggage has been tampered and damaged.

I really am thinking on taking them to court guys, but once again don't know if this would happen coz you know how women are when it comes to such a thing.2 years back on my return from Dublin my baggage was also tampered, things were missing and I was helpless then thinking there isnt much we can do about it.
I'd suggest talking to BA before going to court. If they oblige there is no need to go to court. Its good that your wife made a note of the damages in the luggage receipt. Please read rules & regulation for international travelers. They are available on the ticket holder jacket or BA website itself, you'll know what your rights are and where exactly you stand.
Old 28th December 2006, 17:14   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Unfortunately many will testify, BA is a poorly managed airline. The commone joke at the airport (I have many friends there) is that BA stands for Baggage Afterwards.

I suggest that you immediately prepare a letter, stating more or less what you have just told us.

Apart from the letter, make a list of items that are broken/missing/damaged. Please include the suitcase in this list.

Write out a value next to these items.
Include a photocopy of the recieved slip on which you have already mentioned that you have recd the bag late and damaged.

Please include the letter, the list of items and the photocopy in an envelope and address it to the duty officer, british airways, at your airport. You may be able to hand deliver it, if you can explain to security that you wish to visit the BA back office.
You may be pleasantly surprised.
Old 28th December 2006, 17:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
BA stands for Baggage Afterwards.
Well said Sam hilarious.

Quote:
You may be pleasantly surprised.
Thanks a ton for the checklist mentioned will pass on this info. Whats the pleasant surprise reply gonna be like .

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 28th December 2006 at 17:36.
Old 28th December 2006, 17:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Whats the pleasant surprise reply gonna be like .
I don't know amigo. That's why i said "may". I am strongly hoping they will offer to compensate in full, or in part for the losses caused to you. Were you travelling in a full fare Y class, J class or did you get discounted tickets? Do you have a BA FF number?
You will be surprised, but those are the first and second questions an airport supervisor has to answer to his superiors when addressing any cash-back situation.

If they do not help you, then and only then i think you can consider legal as the next step, with their lack of redressal as your primary step.
Old 28th December 2006, 17:46   #12
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unfortunately many will testify, BA is a poorly managed airline. The commone joke at the airport (I have many friends there) is that BA stands for Baggage Afterwards.
This is very true. My uncle & aunt from NY always take BA since the 70s, and this happens to them often. Baggage coming late, many items missing almost everytime and still they insist on travelling BA.
Old 28th December 2006, 17:52   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Once a guy went to the British Airways counter, for flight BA123, from Bengalooru to Heathrow.
He went to the check in counter, placed 3 bags on the weighing scale and said "Miss, please send this bag to Beijing, this one to Melbourne and that one to New Delhi"

Confused, the check in lady took a few seconds to digest that, stared at his ticket and said "We can't do that sir, you're flying to Heathrow!!"

"Why not?" said the Kannadiga. "You did exactly that the last time, without my asking for it."
Old 28th December 2006, 17:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Sam I cant stop laughing here and am sure I will fall off my chair with a loud thud.
Old 28th December 2006, 18:17   #15
BHPian

sam bhai good joke in most airline cases a true story

Most Viewed