Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Do you still get newspapers delivered at home?
Yes, and I read it everyday 335 65.05%
Yes, but I don't bother reading it 73 14.17%
No. Internet is my news source. 107 20.78%
Voters: 515. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2018, 06:43   #121
BANNED

Re: Do you still get newspapers delivered at home?

Yes we do read the newspaper (have done so since the 60's when our grandfather inculcated the habit in us) and it has been the TOI since we moved to Mumbai in the early 80's.

We find the format pleasant, since we are not very formal & straight-laced in our reading habits! And we find their ads & some of their other candy-floss quite fascinating and entertaining!
Old 13th July 2018, 06:45   #122
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
It is interesting that the Admin allows you to say "you enjoy your newspaper with your tea", but when I say I enjoy my newspaper with my afternoon beer, the beer part is edited out for me, as a violation of rule #11
With all due respect, Beer is a fine substitute drink for adults, I drink it with lunch even on a work day.
Hear, hear Gutsy old lad - I'm all for freedom of choice even tho' my poison is different!
Old 13th July 2018, 07:02   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
It is interesting that the Admin allows you to say "you enjoy your newspaper with your tea", but when I say I enjoy my newspaper with my afternoon beer, the beer part is edited out for me, as a violation of rule #11

With all due respect, Beer is a fine substitute drink for adults, I drink it with lunch even on a work day.
Brother Gutsy, In sunny California you guys have got your spellings all mixed up. Yeh baat hai. In desh here you spell it T-E-A
Old 13th July 2018, 07:06   #124
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
.......when the weekly Economist magazine comes along few things can beat the charm of reading it on the throne.
Couldn't agree more - tho' in my case it's the TOI. Light reading under the circumstances is very relaxing!
Old 14th July 2018, 22:23   #125

I do read, and also the family - The Hindu.
I read it more for the opinions and facts - analysis of the news than news, since Google news keeps feeding me on as it happens basis throughout the day.

Reading about hindu's financial trouble somewhere this week made me sad..
Old 15th July 2018, 05:50   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Today I read professional material on the net but when the weekly Economist magazine comes along few things can beat the charm of reading it on the throne.
Love the Economist - I gave up after 2 years as the content was simply too much and I could not keep up the pace.

Another ones I really liked were Frontline and EPW - Superlative content. And yes, nothing beats reading the actual newspaper with a cup of tea.
Old 15th July 2018, 18:02   #127

I and also my family still read physical newspapers. I also subscribe to The Week and National Geographic. Week days it is only Times of India. On weekends, we also read Indian Express.
Old 16th July 2018, 09:21   #128
Senior - BHPian

For me, reading news online or through internet is like, Or for that matter (May be OT), watching a movie on laptop OR listening to a music in laptop or any other activity in laptop or Mobile is like "Cab driver going for an outing in his own Cab to the same place where he goes everyday with his customers"

What I mean is, when I have to enjoy my personal life, I cannot use the same laptop and same office stuff. I will read news paper hard copy. I will go to Film theaters and watch movies, go to Music concerts and sit there to listen music. etc. So, For me(Purely my opinion), If I have to know about the country politics, sports events, daily ongoings etc, I prefer reading news paper OR watching TVs to get the information rather than going and watching the same stuff using laptop and browse internet.
Old 16th July 2018, 17:03   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
But what about you? Do you still read a newspaper?
Yes, every single day! My day starts with the newspaper (the actual paper based) and tea in my lush green balcony.

Sad to hear about the falling sales / revenue figures of such prominent news publications - the digital world is truly affecting everyone and disrupting everything!
Old 16th July 2018, 18:23   #130
Senior - BHPian

While I am a regular subscriber and reader of newspapers, I need (and read) them more for views than news. News as such is stale by the time it reaches me in the morning. Google feeds and TV channels would have dispensed all the important news as they happen. The local issues, if they are pressing enough, are delivered through WhatsApp groups.

However, views based on common sense and objective analysis are best partaken in black and white and in leisure. A newspaper gives me the luxury of donning my thinking hat and decide for myself what is wrong and right. Neither the internet nor the news channels allow me to be myself; they either provoke me or try to sway my loyalty one way or the other.

Having said that, I think the days of paper based newspapers are being numbered. Even the old timers who swear by their brand of papers are increasingly moving towards epapers. Almost all dailies are available online in the same form and format as their physical avatars and most of them are free to use. A laptop, an iPad/similar tablet or even a large screen smartphone can give us the freedom to read as many newspapers as we want.

An objective look at my own practice of subscribing The Hindu makes me confess that had the e version of the paper been free, I would most probably have read it online. But since the epaper is also subscription based, I prefer to actually get it home.

The advantage of actual newspapers lies in the hope that having seen us sitting glued to them, our children would take at least a cursory glance at the sheets and might develop a liking to read. I know I am asking for too much, but still!
Old 16th July 2018, 22:14   #131
BHPian

Most English news papers are carrying either more ads than news or just imaginary articles with very little substance. I used to buy The Hindu more than a decade ago, then editorial quality took a downward plunge.

Hindi ones are no better either, but are much cheaper and fetches same money from kabad wala. Ever noticed most pakoda sellers use vernacular news paper for wrapping things?

Electronic media, i watch only business news and that too very specific timings. Even the business news channels these days have irrelevant programming post 7PM.

Fake news is killing news industry world over and i feel happy about it.
Old 17th July 2018, 09:14   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
However, views based on common sense and objective analysis are best partaken in black and white and in leisure. A newspaper gives me the luxury of donning my thinking hat and decide for myself what is wrong and right. Neither the internet nor the news channels allow me to be myself; they either provoke me or try to sway my loyalty one way or the other.
I doubt if the views in the print are better researched or more objective than the electronic media. I have read an editorial in a leading Marathi daily that criticised the government for Vijay Mallya holding multiple passports. The editorial staff seems to have no idea how easy it is to acquire a foreign passport or residency status. In order to simplify, they often go overboard with oversimplification and ridiculous sounding statements.

Views, by nature, are subjective. However many times the news reports, which are meant to only convey facts, are inaccurate. Many times while reading coverage of the sports events, especially, I am at a loss to construct the bits and pieces together and visualize how a game must have been played out. Partly responsible for this is their style of reporting the events in a disjointed chronological order. For e.g. they will always start with the end of the game event, and then keep jumping back and forth on the timelines.
Old 22nd September 2018, 08:13   #133
Senior - BHPian

The Hindu turned 140 on 20th September. In an article titled The Hindu: yesterday, today, tomorrow, V Sriram recalls the paper's ups and downs through the years. An assertion of his caught my attention:

Quote:
As I write this, I realise that at least five generations have grown up with the paper, at least three eventually reaching its obituary column which, for years, was the first thing people saw in the publication for, on its contents depended the condoling and bathing schedule for the day.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks